GMC Acadia Forum banner

2013 Acadia - keep it or sell it? (with questionable trans)

4K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  teetertotter 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Hi all - I have a 2013 SLT with about 87,000 miles on it. We bought it brand new so are the original owner. It's the deep red metallic with a brown/grey leather interior. I love this car. I still think it's one of the slickest looking SUVs ever made...kinda bad-***. I have the dual sunroof, windows tinted, the touchscreen, etc.

About 8 months ago we were in the mountains (4 days into a trip), and it wouldn't seem to shift out of lower gear...was hitting high RPMs. I stopped and shut it off, thinking that might reset something with the transmission or computer (who knows?). Didn't help. We were leaving town anyway...it was slow speed through the mountains and the trans still wasn't right...but we hit flat highway...then everything was OK. Another month later I was on the open highway after a rest stop, and it was revving high at speed (going like 60MPH on flatland it was like 3500 or 4000 RPMs. We stopped, shut it off, then hit the road - problem gone.

After that, we figured it was time to sell since we'd had this vehicle for 5 years. But life got in the way, and we just kept driving it. I got two nails in the tire sidewalls...and had to replace all 4 tires. Then the brakes started squeaking...so I had new rotors and pads installed front and back. So about 8 months have passed. Once or twice, I've noticed something funky like putting it into gear and it "clunking". Other than that....all good.

So now I'm at a crossroads. It's long paid off and still looks sharp. But we take a lot of LONG family road trips up and down the East Coast and would also welcome a change of pace with a new/different vehicle. My concern is that at any moment, something could happen with the Acadia transmission at any point. Or - maybe I could drive it another 50K over 3 more years with no issues. Tires/brakes are new - I'm not sure what else might be due for or what that would cost.

Any insights? What would you do? Keep it or sell it?

See less See more
#2 ·
Welcome to the forum.
Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

#3 ·
If the first 87k went well and has had good maintenance history I would keep it.

Try to get a good diagnosis from a transmission shop to see if it is electrical or mechanical. Price out a complete replacement and look your budget and go from there.

#7 ·
Agree with the above. If the reduced size of the current Acadia works for you, so much more refined than first generation.

#9 ·
Gotta be careful when discussing TEHCM problems with the 2013 transmission. It could have either a Gen 1, or Gen 2 TEHCM depending on the date of the transmission's production. The transmission's production date isn't the same as the whole vehicle's production date.

#10 · (Edited by Moderator)
So now I'm at a crossroads. It's long paid off and still looks sharp. But we take a lot of LONG family road trips up and down the East Coast and would also welcome a change of pace with a new/different vehicle. My concern is that at any moment, something could happen with the Acadia transmission at any point. Or - maybe I could drive it another 50K over 3 more years with no issues. Tires/brakes are new - I'm not sure what else might be due for or what that would cost.

Sell it now if it still has some value. I sold my 2011 Denali at 63k miles after repairing it for 7 years. Everything broke on that car that could break.

#11 ·
Hi all - I have a 2013 SLT with about 87,000 miles on it. We bought it brand new so are the original owner. It's the deep red metallic with a brown/grey leather interior. I love this car. I still think it's one of the slickest looking SUVs ever made...kinda bad-***. I have the dual sunroof, windows tinted, the touchscreen, etc.

About 8 months ago we were in the mountains (4 days into a trip), and it wouldn't seem to shift out of lower gear...was hitting high RPMs. I stopped and shut it off, thinking that might reset something with the transmission or computer (who knows?). Didn't help. We were leaving town anyway...it was slow speed through the mountains and the trans still wasn't right...but we hit flat highway...then everything was OK. Another month later I was on the open highway after a rest stop, and it was revving high at speed (going like 60MPH on flatland it was like 3500 or 4000 RPMs. We stopped, shut it off, then hit the road - problem gone.

After that, we figured it was time to sell since we'd had this vehicle for 5 years. But life got in the way, and we just kept driving it. I got two nails in the tire sidewalls...and had to replace all 4 tires. Then the brakes started squeaking...so I had new rotors and pads installed front and back. So about 8 months have passed. Once or twice, I've noticed something funky like putting it into gear and it "clunking". Other than that....all good.

Yes you need to have valve body rebuilt. It is a common problem that a certified transmission shop can fix.

#12 · (Edited)
@rayoflight , Have you a verdict what you plan to do? Having the trans diagnosed or professional advice? Maybe spend a few dollars to have diagnosed and fixed? You love the car and maybe after it is fixed, you won't have a car payment, if the case? Let everyone know what you find or do. Happy motoring

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.