GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited by Moderator)
I bought a used 2013 Acadia SLT. Can anyone explain why I get these 4 "dots" higher up from the headlights? They are halogen bulbs and GM says halogen are correct for this exact car!
The right headlight also points off the road to the right really bad and cannot figure out why! The assembly itself appears to be fine! I played with the vertical adjuster and that did not help. GM also said there are no horizontal adjustments that can be made!

Hood Window Automotive lighting Plant Building

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
I bought a used 2013 Acadia SLT. Can anyone explain why I get these 4 "dots" higher up from the headlights? They are halogen bulbs and GM says halogen are correct for this exact car!
The right headlight also points off the road to the right really bad and cannot figure out why! The assembly itself appears to be fine! I played with the vertical adjuster and that did not help. GM also said there are no horizontal adjustments that can be made!

View attachment 12268

That almost appears that the bulb is not seated correctly or all the way into it's mounting position or some other such alignment .

Did you just change the bulbs?

Are you sure that you got the correct bulb number/type?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That almost appears that the bulb is not seated correctly or all the way into it's mounting position or some other such alignment .

Did you just change the bulbs?

Are you sure that you got the correct bulb number/type?
I have not changed the bulbs yet. I do know they are the correct model number. I only removed the passenger side because it was aimed so poorly. They seem to be in ok. I can try re-seating them to see if that fixes it. I will push a little harder and see if it makes a difference. Thanks!

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
I have not changed the bulbs yet. I do know they are the correct model number. I only removed the passenger side because it was aimed so poorly. They seem to be in ok. I can try re-seating them to see if that fixes it. I will push a little harder and see if it makes a difference. Thanks!
Take note of the "locking " tab positions on the bulb and maybe use a small flashlight and mirror to see if you can match up the position of the bulb tabs to the slots in the headlight.

That said, if they are the correct bulb type there is only one way they should go in.

If they are HID, there would be a chance that the housings got melted and warped after many hours of use which was a common problem with some HID applications.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Take note of the "locking " tab positions on the bulb and maybe use a small flashlight and mirror to see if you can match up the position of the bulb tabs to the slots in the headlight.

That said, if they are the correct bulb type there is only one way they should go in.

If they are HID, there would be a chance that the housings got melted and warped after many hours of use which was a common problem with some HID applications.
They are not HID, so I should be OK there. I should be able to work on it tonight and report back. Thanks!

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
They are not HID, so I should be OK there. I should be able to work on it tonight and report back. Thanks!
\
Use the mirror and flashlight to also inspect the condition of the headlight bulb socket mounts also.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
\
Use the mirror and flashlight to also inspect the condition of the headlight bulb socket mounts also.
OK. and the only resolution to that, if there is a problem, is to replace the entire fixture, correct? I saw a video for that and that looks to be a 2 hour or more project. My Town and Country had 2 or 3 bolts and you could pop it right out!
By the way, any opinions/recommendations about changing headlights to LED?

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
OK. and the only resolution to that, if there is a problem, is to replace the entire fixture, correct? I saw a video for that and that looks to be a 2 hour or more project. My Town and Country had 2 or 3 bolts and you could pop it right out!
By the way, any opinions/recommendations about changing headlights to LED?
In our 2019 C1xx Acadia SLT we have changed out the stock 9012 halogen bulb for the LED 9012 equivalent and working well now.
Great light output, proper cut off. and no issues. That said, research for a good quality bulb is essential.
There are a few that perform well last time I checked for under $100 a set.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited by Moderator)
In our 2019 C1xx Acadia SLT we have changed out the stock 9012 halogen bulb for the LED 9012 equivalent and working well now.
Great light output, proper cut off. and no issues. That said, research for a good quality bulb is essential.
There are a few that perform well last time I checked for under $100 a set.
You were right! Bulbs were in wrong. Previous owner had the wiring connector in the 6 o'clock position.
I found that it goes in at the 12 o'clock position and twists clockwise to about 2 o'clock! What a difference! Thanks for your help! No more weird dots and slanted lines!
Automotive lighting Hood Automotive exterior Road surface Asphalt

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
You were right! Bulbs were in wrong. Previous owner had the wiring connector in the 6 o'clock position.
I found that it goes in at the 12 o'clock position and twists clockwise to about 2 o'clock! What a difference! Thanks for your help! No more weird dots and slanted lines!
View attachment 12272
(y)

Glad that it helped.
EDIT: Wow . . I wouldn't think the bulb could even fit into the socket mount if essentially "upside down."
What did you have to do to correct the bulb position in the bulb socket?
Just turn it around I imagine.
I would think the bulb wasn't seated properly then either.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
(y)

Glad that it helped.
EDIT: Wow . . I wouldn't think the bulb could even fit into the socket mount if essentially "upside down."
What did you have to do to correct the bulb position in the bulb socket?
Just turn it around I imagine.
I would think the bulb wasn't seated properly then either.
When I first got in there, I had the headlights on and pushed on the back of the housing before trying to reseat it. It moved forward a little and instantly improved the lighting. I gave it a quarter turn and it came out easily. The hard part was figuring out the "right" starting point. I actually got it stuck at about 9 o'clock position. I was finally able to pop it back out. Then I just kept going around clockwise until it popped in at 12o'clock, gave it a turn and it was perfect!

·
Registered
64 Posts
Greetings! By the way HID headlights for my 2013 Arcadia Denali AWD light-up the road great, but I always replaced both headlights at approximately $550.00 parts and labor for each at the GMC Dealership. Best of Luck to All.

·
Registered
30 Posts
The right headlight also points off the road to the right really bad and cannot figure out why! The assembly itself appears to be fine! I played with the vertical adjuster and that did not help. GM also said there are no horizontal adjustments that can be

Bulb might not be properly seated even though initial housing aim was correct

·
Registered
4 Posts

View attachment 12268
remove the bulb and rotate 180 degrees and reinstall

1 - 14 of 14 Posts