GMC Acadia Forum banner

41 - 60 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 2012 GMC Acadia Denali with approximately 8500 miles on it. I've experienced problems in the Tac reving to 4000 RPM after accelerating from a turn or red light going to green; the result of the transmission not shifting quickly enough to respond to the changing speeds. The Transmission Control Module was replaced because of an internal short and I had hoped that this was causing my problems. However the problem continues but cannot be reproduced at will. My dealer has been told about the problem but I've been unable to spend anymore time away from work to work with my dealer to diagnose the problem.

·
Premium Member
2,618 Posts
SteveNovak,
If you would like for us to check into this further with you and your dealership, please contact us via direct message (include your name, contact information, the last 8 digits of your VIN and mileage, as well as a brief recap of the situation).

Sarah (Assisting Michelle), GMC Customer Service

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
Since I took my 2012 Acadia to the dealer, ten days ago, I did not receive any updates on the status of my car, so I called Sherwood GMC in Delray FL this morning to find out.
They did not have any specific information to give me and they said, they expected the car to be ready by Friday, or so... :mad:
I don't know if I'll ever buy another GMC vehicle, I DO know I will NEVER buy from Sherwood GMC again!!!!!!! :banghead:

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
hrbeta said:
Since I took my 2012 Acadia to the dealer, ten days ago, I did not receive any updates on the status of my car, so I called Sherwood GMC in Delray FL this morning to find out.
They did not have any specific information to give me and they said, they expected the car to be ready by Friday, or so... :mad:
I don't know if I'll ever buy another GMC vehicle, I DO know I will NEVER buy from Sherwood GMC again!!!!!!! :banghead:
Yeah, why not at least get updates along the way. Ten days?! Not acceptable.

·
Premium Member
2,618 Posts
I am so sorry you feel that way based on your current situation, hrbeta. General Motors takes comments like this very seriously, and I have documented your concern along with your comments in the case file. General Motors relies heavily on loyal customers and I hope one day we may be given the opportunity to earn your business again.

Michelle, GMC Customer Service

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
After seventeen days at the dealer's shop, I picked up my Acadia this morning and made the 10 mile drive back home.
I felt the car drives even worse now. The stalling engine is more evident and it will over rev up to 5,000 rpm before engaging the transmission. :mad:
Reading the shop's paperwork they gave me, I notice they do not mention any work on the transmission. They retarded the ignition, performed a top engine clean, found excess oil in three cylinders, removed and reringed (sic) engine and replaced two cylinder heads ??? ??? ??? (on a 7,000 miles new 2012 vehicle).
I am no professional mechanic so I'm not going to second guess the shop's "solution" but it is clear it did not fix the Acadia's problem. :thumbdown:
I called Sherwood's Service Director, Dan Fielder, and got an appointment for Wednesday to talk about my case.
I want to know my options to best solve this very inconvenient and persistent problem. Any ideas :shrug:
Thanks.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
hrbeta said:
After seventeen days at the dealer's shop, I picked up my Acadia this morning and made the 10 mile drive back home.
I felt the car drives even worse now. The stalling engine is more evident and it will over rev up to 5,000 rpm before engaging the transmission. :mad:
Reading the shop's paperwork they gave me, I notice they do not mention any work on the transmission. They retarded the ignition, performed a top engine clean, found excess oil in three cylinders, removed and reringed (sic) engine and replaced two cylinder heads ??? ??? ??? (on a 7,000 miles new 2012 vehicle).
I am no professional mechanic so I'm not going to second guess the shop's "solution" but it is clear it did not fix the Acadia's problem. :thumbdown:
I called Sherwood's Service Director, Dan Fielder, and got an appointment for Wednesday to talk about my case.
I want to know my options to best solve this very inconvenient and persistent problem. Any ideas :shrug:
Thanks.
Sounds like they don't know what is wrong, just throwing parts at the problem.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
hrbeta said:
Thanks.
Seventeen days?!!!!! Are you kidding me? That's crazy slow. Then you get it back in worse condition? What is up with that? I would have thought in that time it would be working better than new, what WERE they doing for that long? Obviously they never test drove it after the repair.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Maybe they should have replaced the radiator cap - that would DEFINITELY solve the issue!

Sheeesh! These guys are nutjobs! I am not a mechanic either, BUT, none of what they did sounds even remotely like it could cause such issues, especially NOT on a vehicle that new. I didn't read your thread from the very beginning, but if there's another dealer you could go to - try that.

Stories like this make me sick - why can't the dealer be up front and say something like this:

"I'm sorry sir, we couldn't find a valid reason/cause for your issue. We would like to have some time to look at it, and it could take a while to fix, may be a few weeks - in the meantime we've set you up with a rental. We will keep you posted on anything we hear back, since this issue is not common and we need to work with the GM engineers for a solution since what we have tried so far has not worked."

And that they should have done the FIRST time they couldn't fix it!!!! Why try to be a hero, and then look like an idiot, especially after your "expert" in transmission issues obviously couldn't fix the problem.

I know it's a process of elimination and sometimes you have to try more than 1 fix to figure out the cause, or see if it will work, but WHY THE HECK did they even give you the car back?!?! I mean, did they even TEST DRIVE It after?!?! I'm sorry but that dealership/customer service manager need to hear from head office on this one.

I think Michelle from GMC Customer Service was following up - see if she has any updates for you. Keep us posted, and hope you get it addressed soon friend.

·
Registered
207 Posts
The problem is the dealership mechanic doesn't want to take the time to do proper diagnostics. This is a major problem with warranty work. For example, if GM only pays 1/2 hour for diagnostics, and the mechanic takes over 3 hours, he basically worked 2.5 hours for free. So the mechanic rather rush the job throwing parts at the problem vs. doing proper diagnostics. I had a dealership mechanic friend and he basically told me that if they don't really know what's going on they will throw parts at the problem hoping it wil fix the issue.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
I just came back from my re-scheduled appointment with the dealer's Service Director and I want to say I am cautiously optimistic. :)
We drove the Acadia, which I have to admit is starting to feel like is back to normal, and he said he had overlooked telling me that "after a major repair, the car's computer is reset to factory settings. Then the car needs to learn how its owner drives it to set what they call the tabs". This process takes a couple of hundred miles for the Acadia to drive the way I will be most comfortable with.
I have felt the Acadia improving since I first drove it out of the shop yesterday morning. On the other hand, they discovered this afternoon that the transmission fluid level was critically low and they filled it back up. I supposed that was not helping ::)
However, they explained to me that the real problem was the Acadia's engine, they found a lot of issues that they fixed and even replaced two cylinders :eek: They said they had never seen that kind of a problem in a 7,000 mile motor. Apparently, the computer was confused and trying to compensate for the engine's problems. He said, it was certainly unusual and should be all-right now, besides, the Acadia has a 5 year/100,000 miles mechanical warranty so I should be OK. :shrug:
As I said at the beginning of this post, I am cautiously optimistic, I think this is the most sensible explanation they have given me all this time and the Acadia feels more like its old self.
I really hope I can put this issue to rest now. ;)

·
Registered
508 Posts
You should post back in a week or 2 of driving around your normal routine and let us know if things are still working out well. Always good to hear about positive outcomes after a bad situation or dealer experience.

·
Registered
8,595 Posts
Drive her gently-- so it learns easy shifts = Good MPG.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
hrbeta said:
I have felt the Acadia improving since I first drove it out of the shop yesterday morning. On the other hand, they discovered this afternoon that the transmission fluid level was critically low and they filled it back up. I supposed that was not helping ::)
You have got to be joking. ??? You go in with shifting issues and they don't even check your fluid level. :eek:hno: Unbelievable and unacceptable. Definitly find another dealer to do you repair work. JMO

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
Well, here I am again. :( The Acadia behaved well the first week after I got it back from the shop and then, the problem started to come back incrementally and is back to very bad as of today. :banghead:

I was waiting for Christmas to pass because it had been so hectic for us for the last two weeks. I needed the car so I decided not to complicate my life any further during the holly-days, but I guess I have to face the music now. :facepalm:
If someone at GMC reads this, I need you to please find me an alternate GMC shop in my area to take my Acadia to, I do not believe Sherwood GMC in Delray Beach has the knowledge or willingness to solve this problem :thumbdown:
At this point, I'm thinking repair and sell... :'(

·
Registered
115 Posts
Sorry to hear that hrbeta...

My Acadia's transmission finally bit the dust on Christmas Eve; went into limp mode when I left work to do some last-minute shopping (of course!). I managed to get it home in first gear, then got the last rental car in town (Chevy Orlando - it's no Acadia).

I'd discussed my bad shift issue with my regular GMC dealer's Service Advisor over the phone; he actually told me "it sounds like normal shifting for a six-speed". I couldn't believe it - so I'm NEVER going there again.

Another GMC SA at the dealer near my work test-drove it, agreed it was an issue and told me the transmission needed to be rebuilt - at a MINIMUM cost of SIX THOUSAND dollars, PLUS parts (I'm in Canada, so the difference to the costs quoted above for the US is no real surprise to me). When I asked if GM had any "assistance" programs as it's a well-known issue, he said that nothing came up on his computer.

My Acadia has 144,000 kilometres and is out of warranty; this issue started after my regular dealer did a transmission flush.

I'm calling a local transmission shop tomorrow (today's a holiday in Canada) to get another quote; I'll check again with GM but there's no way I can afford $6K plus for a tranny...

·
Super Moderator
21,713 Posts
That's ridiculous! You can get a remanufactured transmission for about $2400 plus labor to install it. There's NO WAY it would take an additional $3600 in labor for the installation!

·
Premium Member
2,618 Posts
@hrbeta, I received your e-mail and sent you a list of dealerships in and around your area, along with the link to the website that can be used to find other dealerships if needed.

Would you like me to re-open your case?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 ·
GMC Customer Service said:
@hrbeta, I received your e-mail and sent you a list of dealerships in and around your area, along with the link to the website that can be used to find other dealerships if needed.

Would you like me to re-open your case?

Yes Michelle, please open the case again as my Acadia's problem persists. Once I have decided which dealer I am going to use I will inform you. I would like you to please make me an introduction with them before I take my car over, I am really tired of explaining the issue and most shops assume their customers are mechanically/technically challenged :banghead:
Thanks so much.

·
Registered
268 Posts
@Gills...

I'm wondering?, did you get the Trailering Package/Equipment as an option... I know every GMC can tow, but I'm wondering if having the heavy duty radiator and transmission cooler might have helped with the transmission issues...?

41 - 60 of 89 Posts