GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 94 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A couple of weeks ago my wife and I (we have one car) started to notice something funny on how our 2012 Acadia drives. There seemed to be a lag in the response time after the accelerator pedal was pressed. The issue seemed to be intermittent, it would happen sometimes without announcing itself. No error or codes messages come up in the instruments panel either. My wife was very afraid and upset when in a very busy traffic intersection, the Acadia failed to perform and caused a near-miss.
I took the car to my GMC dealer in Delray Beach, FL, and tried to explain the problem, which at the moment I though could be related to the throttle body (I own modern motorcycles with "fly-by-wire" throttle systems that commonly fail). They took the Acadia and they said two mechanics drove it and felt nothing. They also said they ran a computer test and no codes came up. In the end they did not have an answer for this and only suggested it might have been a dirty injector, but in any case, without a code from the car's computer they could not know what problem they were after.
I took the car back and apprehensively went on a 500 miles trip, I was happy and relieved when the Acadia did not act up once during the trip. But now I'm back in town and the Acadia has started again to haphazardly act up, the engine revs up but the transmission does not engage, NO codes or messages come up in the instrument panel.
Has anyone experienced or heard about this issue?
Thanks.

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
My 09' OUTLOOK will do the high rev sometimes when it's colder out, not all the time, but I've noticed it here and there since it was about a year old. it will do it on the 2-3 up shift and on the 3-4 up shift, is this what you are seeing? I have about 46k on mine and I've changed the trans fluid twice, drain and refill only with Dex 6. I talked to the dealer and as far as he can see there is no update available.

·
Registered
4,567 Posts
hrbeta said:
A couple of weeks ago my wife and I (we have one car) started to notice something funny on how our 2012 Acadia drives. There seemed to be a lag in the response time after the accelerator pedal was pressed. The issue seemed to be intermittent, it would happen sometimes without announcing itself. No error or codes messages come up in the instruments panel either. My wife was very afraid and upset when in a very busy traffic intersection, the Acadia failed to perform and caused a near-miss.
I took the car to my GMC dealer in Delray Beach, FL, and tried to explain the problem, which at the moment I though could be related to the throttle body (I own modern motorcycles with "fly-by-wire" throttle systems that commonly fail). They took the Acadia and they said two mechanics drove it and felt nothing. They also said they ran a computer test and no codes came up. In the end they did not have an answer for this and only suggested it might have been a dirty injector, but in any case, without a code from the car's computer they could not know what problem they were after.
I took the car back and apprehensively went on a 500 miles trip, I was happy and relieved when the Acadia did not act up once during the trip. But now I'm back in town and the Acadia has started again to haphazardly act up, the engine revs up but the transmission does not engage, NO codes or messages come up in the instrument panel.
Has anyone experienced or heard about this issue?
Thanks.
That exactly describes what happens to my 2012 sometimes. It never happened in the 2008 or the 2010. I have no idea wha tis causing it, but the Acadia does not respond and then 'suddenly' it lurches forward and acts normal again.

·
Premium Member
2,618 Posts
@hrbeta, I'm sorry to read about the concerns you're experiencing with the 2012 Acadia. I would like to do some research about this. I will send you a private message with the information I will need to thoroughly look into this for you.

Michelle, GMC Customer Service

·
Registered
492 Posts
sixathome said:
My 09' OUTLOOK will do the high rev sometimes when it's colder out, not all the time, but I've noticed it here and there since it was about a year old. it will do it on the 2-3 up shift and on the 3-4 up shift, is this what you are seeing? I have about 46k on mine and I've changed the trans fluid twice, drain and refill only with Dex 6. I talked to the dealer and as far as he can see there is no update available.
I think for this issue, I'm wondering if you have the latest transmission programming? My '09 Outlook, build date 11/08, did NOT have the latest programming. Once the dealer figured this out, the flash was loaded, and my hanging/free-revving behavior was eliminated. This new flash was just loaded a few months ago.

·
Registered
4,567 Posts
GMC Customer Service said:
@Nvr2loud, have you had it to the dealership? If so, what did they say?

I have not had it to the dealer, it does not happen often, I just think of it as a little 'hiccup' once in awhile. If it gets worse I'll bring it in.

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
GMC Customer Service said:
How have you been, sixathome? I thought we had this all taken care of for you.

Been good, I don't remember any trans stuff, maybe something else. The past year it's been a good vehicle. How many trans updates are there for the 09's?

XRD, I talked to my dealer about a recent update and nothing. Did you have the May, 2009 trans flash or was there something else?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Got a PM from Michelle with GMC Customer Service, I'm glad about that. Hope they can assist me.
I took the car out today with the wife and it really acted up. I like the Acadia and I do not want to loose faith on its reliability.
I had previously owned a GMC Yukon Denali which never gave me any issues, I absolutely loved that truck, that's why I talked my wife into purchasing the Acadia.
We are retired empty-nesters so we own one car. Sending a brand new car to the shop for this unknown issue is a big inconvenience.
I hope GMC can have this problem solved for its customers in a responsible, professional way.
I'll keep the Forum posted.

·
Premium Member
2,618 Posts
@XRDreamliner, thank you so much for sharing what helped your situation. I'm sure many owners will appreciate the time you took to post your resolution.

How have you been?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
GMC Customer Service person Michelle got me an appointment with my dealer for next Monday. I drove the car yesterday and the problem seems to have become permanent. Acadia over revs when starting off of full stop and at around 50mph the tach needle oscillates between 1,200 and 1,400 rpm, so the ride is very uncomfortable. Made a video with my iPhone that I'll try to post later. I'll keep the Forum posted on my experience with the GMC dealer.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Going to my appointment with dealer to see if he gets to experience the problem. I uploaded a video of the problem to YouTube but the Acadia Forum does not allow me to post link :eek:hno: :thumbdown:

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'm not that crazy after all. Service Director Dan Fielder drove my Acadia along with me, and got to experience the problem. ::)
Moments earlier a mechanic had driven the car and dismissed my complaint citing wind gusts as the cause. :banghead:
It seems only after Fielder drove the car, the dealer took me seriously. What is frustrating is that they had not even checked for bulletins from GMC, now they did, and BINGO there is one stating exactly was I was complaining about.
Did I mention I had visited this dealer ten days ago for them to check my car, and they sent me on my merry way with the uncomfortable feeling they thought I was imagining things? :angryfire:
They are taking the car in now and I hope they'll fix it, so far I cannot say I'm satisfied with GMC's service.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
hrbeta said:
Going to my appointment with dealer to see if he gets to experience the problem. I uploaded a video of the problem to YouTube but the Acadia Forum does not allow me to post link :eek:hno: :thumbdown:
What is the video called (exact title) so we can go watch it on youtube?

·
Registered
8,625 Posts
very interesting video.

·
Registered
724 Posts
i saw nothing wrong in the video, the tach needle in mine has always moved around about 100 rpms when going down the road at a steady speed. Do a search, others have posted about it it seems to be normal.

http://youtu.be/JSU57cm7kYc

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
MA Acadia said:
i saw nothing wrong in the video, the tach needle in mine has always moved around about 100 rpms when going down the road at a steady speed. Do a search, others have posted about it it seems to be normal.

http://youtu.be/JSU57cm7kYc
I'm glad for you my friend, in my case the car also hesitates as it goes. The jolting can be appreciated in the video. In any case, the service manager at my dealer experience it first hand at took action.

1 - 20 of 94 Posts