GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am planning to replace my tires on 2012 Acadia very soon. Does anyone " KNOW ", what replacement sensor is universal, available, and is a reccommended replacement for the GM factory sensors.

·
Super Moderator
18,623 Posts
The selections are many! Get on the 'net and search for "2012 Acadia TPMS" to find out what's available. You'll have a choice between screw-on or pull-through sensors. You decide which type you want to put on your car. I had mine replaced a few years ago at a local tire shop - went with the screw-on style because that's what came on the car and they looked good with the stock wheels. I didn't care what brand they were as long as they worked.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Generally-speaking, here’s what I do:

I go to a site like GMPartsDirect and search for the OEM part number.

Then I go to RockAuto and AdvanceAuto to either buy the OEM part, or use the OEM part number as a cross-reference.

And then I might even Google the OEM part number, and that brings up other sources like Amazon.

When it came time for new tires on my 2011 Equinox, I bought a set (4) of “takeoffs” from another forum member who was buying fancier replacements. So I didn’t have to buy any TPM sensors. But I think when I do, I’ll go with OEM just because it should be less risky (comms issues or premature failures).

·
Registered
24 Posts
The selections are many! Get on the 'net and search for "2012 Acadia TPMS" to find out what's available. You'll have a choice between screw-on or pull-through sensors. You decide which type you want to put on your car. I had mine replaced a few years ago at a local tire shop - went with the screw-on style because that's what came on the car and they looked good with the stock wheels. I didn't care what brand they were as long as they worked.
Yeah, thanks. I found some on Amazon, but I purchased new tires at COSCO and they would not install any sensors but what they sold. So, I returned them. Always a catch it seems.

·
Super Moderator
18,623 Posts
Yeah, thanks. I found some on Amazon, but I purchased new tires at COSCO and they would not install any sensors but what they sold. So, I returned them. Always a catch it seems.
It makes sense for Costco (or any tire dealer) to do that if they're offering a guarantee for their work. It can be a real hassle for all parties if an owner-supplied part fails within a guarantee period.

·
Super Moderator
18,623 Posts
Yes, that is true.
When I put tires on the car this time, I also wanted to change the TPMS. My tire dealer told me straight up that if I supplied my own and any one of them failed, I would pay their labor again for the TPMS to be replaced. If their TPMS failed within the part guarantee, they would cover the labor cost for replacement. The price of the TPMS they carried was reasonable, the part looked identical to the original, so it was a no-brainer to buy from them. I always laugh at folks who do the Amazon, eBay, etc. dance just to get the cheapest possible price on something like that. To me, it's just not worth it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I purchased OEM TPMS and they fit and work great! I work a lot so I don't have time to go to the dealer so buying online is very convenient for me.

·
Registered
366 Posts
From everything I’ve read, they typically last 5-7 years - so that kind of coincides with replacing tires, right? I never changed a single sensor on my 2011 Equinox 18’s from brand new and I rode on those Michelin factory wheels for over 5 years! Then I bought a set of 2015 17” factory takeoffs (rims and tires) and those have been on for 3 years (so far). They say you can replace the batteries and reuse them but there’s apparently more to it than that (seals?), and some TPMS may not have replaceable batteries (or “rebuild”kits may not even be available).

If you can find new replacements for under $30 each and “rebuild kits” are gonna cost you $10 each, you might as well just buy new, right? They’re gonna last 5 years!

Here’s an interesting write-up:

·
Super Moderator
18,623 Posts
Is it a given that the TPMS sensors need replacement at the same time as the tires. Can they not be reuse?
Used the same TPMS for 2 sets of tires (originals and first replacement). The tire 'popper' (person on machine) took care and didn't harm them at all the first time. Second time, the TPMS were 10 years old so change was deemed necessary. Even though the batteries were still good, why chance it?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts