GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
A few weeks ago our battery died and we started to have major issues with our HVAC system. It started with the clicking in the dash on the passenger side, then it was only blowing hot on the drivers side. It's very cold where we live and it's now impossible to keep the windows defogged and when I try to turn on the a/c the light just blinks. I tried to the recalibration of the system but didn't seem to help. I went out last night and did some trouble shooting and here is what I found and some questions that I have. It may be useful to know that I have the auto function on my system.

First, I pulled the driver's side actuator. I'm able to turn the door manually so I believe the actuator was bad (I took it apart and one of the gears was cracked and the gears didn't spin freely).

Moving to the passenger side....the panel/floor/defrost actuator (I believe labeled #48 in the diagram) reacts normally and switches as it should from one mode to another. The passenger temp blend actuator (#44 on diagram) was acting funny. When moving it from lowest 60 degree to highest 90 degree it moved gradually as the temperature increased but when moving it from 90 to 60 it would not moved until it hit 60, then it would move all the way (with a little noise coming from the actuator/gears as it moved). I'm guessing this lower/temp blend needs to be replaces as well.

My last question has to do with purpose/function of the other actuator on the passenger side. When looking at the glove box, the mode and temp actuators are directly to the left of the glove box, one right above the other. My vehicle also has another actuator that sits behind the glove box and higher than the other 2 (#7 on the diagram). What is this actuator for and would it have to do with the a/c button issues? Just trying to figure it out before I tear into it. They are going to be a bear/nearly impossible to get to. Thanks in advance.

·
Super Moderator
20,845 Posts

·
Registered
8,497 Posts
while you repair- and need to hit the road-
Take some shaving cream and apply it to the inside of glass you need to be fog free. Smear it on and wipe it off /clean it up.
this will help keep the glass clear.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You'll find this thread interesting to read: HVAC Temperature Actuator Replacement (with pictures). It's from the Enclave forum, but the vehicles' HVAC systems operate the same.
Thanks, that was helpful. I didn't test the air recirculation controls, so I'll have to do that. I have a feeling that one is bad and the reason I'm getting a lot of fogging up. That thing is going to be a bear to remove.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts