GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2009 Acadia AWD with 194,000 miles & will be installing a used 2012 transmission with 89,000 miles.

I'm under the understanding the early model 6T75 transmissions had torque converter clutch issues. Does anyone here know if they resolved this issue by 2012 or if its still an issue?

I'm debating if I should just replace the torque converter when I install the transmission.
I'm leaning towards replacing the tcm/tehcm vs. removing the one from my 2009 & installing it in the 2012. Just because of age, mileage & not sure if it's contributing to some things I'm experencing.
If the torque converter clutch isn't an issue in 2012 then I'll leave it.

Thanks!

· Registered
94 Posts
If I were you, I would replace the torque converter when you're replacing the transmission.
I have a 2016 and I had to have the transmission rebuilt and the torque converter replaced at 66,000 miles.

· Registered
497 Posts
6T75 transmission was revised for the 2013+ Lambdas, but unfortunately GM did nothing to the torque converter (that I know of) and remains the #1 weak point in the drivetrain.

Since it is a component prone to problems (slippage, glazing), I would definitely be putting a new converter in if you are going the route of a trans swap.

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Thanks guys for the replies. I have a GM converter & TCM on the way. I'll be starting the swap on Monday 1/14/2023.

It's been good to us & we return the favor. The wife & I want to keep it around.
I really debated on rebuilding the transmission, but overall I've had good luck with all the used transmissions & engines I've installed over the years so I decided to go with used.

· Registered
61 Posts
I have a 2009 Acadia AWD with 194,000 miles & will be installing a used 2012 transmission with 89,000 miles.

I'm under the understanding the early model 6T75 transmissions had torque converter clutch issues. Does anyone here know if they resolved this issue by 2012 or if its still an issue?

I'm debating if I should just replace the torque converter when I install the transmission.
I'm leaning towards replacing the tcm/tehcm vs. removing the one from my 2009 & installing it in the 2012. Just because of age, mileage & not sure if it's contributing to some things I'm experencing.
If the torque converter clutch isn't an issue in 2012 then I'll leave it.

Thanks!
Just had the trans in our 2012 rebuilt and a new converter installed. Cuz the converter died and spewed metal...

Replace the converter with a new one.

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just had the trans in our 2012 rebuilt and a new converter installed. Cuz the converter died and spewed metal...

Replace the converter with a new one.
Thanks for sharing your experience.
I have the old transmission out of our Acadia & I’ll be installing the used one this weekend with a new converter & TCM.

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My 2012 had a TC issue. See 6T75 Gen 2 in older Acadia?
Thanks for sharing, I missed that thread. A lot of good info!
After doing some research & came to the same conclusion with installing 10-12 model year 6T75 into early model Acadia (07-09).
My torque converter is definitely shuddering. But for a few years I’ve been experiencing random sluggish shifts & not wanting to shift back into overdrive after going into passing gear. Nothing that’s ever set the CEL, but because of those things, along with age & mileage of vehicle, I decided to replace & program a new TEHCM vs. swapping my original into the 2012 replacement trans.
I was under the assumption that I didn’t have to swap the valve bodies but now I’m second guessing that. Looking at the part numbers between 2009 & 2012 it appears the lower valve body is the same but the upper & separator plates are different. Also in 2012 it looks they they made changes mid year depending on the Julian Date. So I’m going to play it safe & swap the valve bodies.

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
UPDATE:
I just picked up the vehicle at the auto shop from getting the TCM/TCHEM programmed & transmission is working great. I’m sure the TCM from the original 2009 transmission would have worked without programming but I decided to install a new one because I wasn’t sure if it was causing some issues I was experiencing like sluggish shifts, shudder, sometimes the transmission struggled shifting back into 6th gear when passing on the highway. I also installed a new torque converter.
I did not swap valve bodies. I left the original one in the 2012 transmission & everything is working properly.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts