GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had my 2012 since brand new. Everything ever done to it has been done at dealership including oil changes. About 8 months ago, noticed a shuddering kind of jumping or lurching forward when accelerating. It would do this off and on. After my husband drove on a 60 mile trip he said transmission was likely going out. Are you kidding me...this car just out of warranty coverage and is paid for and shouldn't be needing a transmission replaced. I have friend with same yr model only bought used and has over 200,000 miles. Took to 3 different mechanics (not any dealerships) and couldn't find anything wrong, no codes..After about 6 months of it doing transmission goes out while driving on interstate which was very dangerous as could only go 40 mph to get off on shoulder. Meanwhile mine is steadily getting worse and puts me in a very dangerous situation. I was waiting for traffic to pass so I could turn. This turn is located in a 90 curve with direction I was going was uphill. I started the turn and ride wouldn't move but maybe an inch or so with accelerator to the floor. I am panicking and start to turn the opposite which was downhill and luckily avoided a side impact. A restaurant is where I turned as I still have accelerator to the floor creeping along and then it kicked in I guess and I had to slam brakes to keep from running into building or other cars....VERY SCARY AND NOT COOL.... So take to dealership and was also due an oil service and tell them having problems with transmission. They have car for over a week before they get a misfire code so they replaced 3 injectors and the motor mount was broke and the other was about to break so replaced both...tech said after clearing the misfire codes it did throw a transmission code. When I asked what was the transaction code he replied I don't know 馃槙...so with 2 weeks without a vehicle I go at end of business day to pick up and pay 1000+ for the repairs. I get no more than 2 miles from dealership and realize the shuddering is still happening...did about 10 times in 6 miles. So return to dealership and tell them its not fixed...he asked if I can get it to reproduce and I said oh thats not a problem. It did 12 times on way to dealership...this also tells me that they obviously didn't test drive after repairing what they thought was the issue. So I'm telling the service manager that I've been reading on here and other places where this is a common occurrence for these vehicles and ends up costing a lot of money for them simply not able to diagnose because all they can apparently go by are what codes that are put out from computer systems. I explained that a lot of them wound up pay for a transmission twice when all is said and done. Having injectors changed, the wave plate, the torque converter and all ultimately wound up needing new transmission. I reiterate that I don't want to follow that pattern and I don't want to pay a lot of money I really don't have on unnecessary repairs. After this I'm pissed..I call GM customer service and inquire about reimbursement for a rental as dealership had no loaners thanks to covid. After talking to 2 different people , 1 said yes to keep receipts for rental and they would reimburse me..the 2nd said they wouldn't do that. Finally speak to person in charge and find out that the only way they would pay for a rental is if car was still under warranty....my biggest complaint was the fact of the time it took to diagnose supposedly and then fix..I was out if car for 2 weeks. Now I'm looking at who knows how long. So when reiterating again to service tech its the transfer and you might want to look at the different types of signs symptoms attempts at repair that this acadia is having. Get called the next day and told it was torque converter..replaced at 1500+. I pick back up and notice engine light is on still...drives good for about 3 weeks and then 2 days ago pulling onto hwy it acts like something zapped every energy put of vehicle as again accelerator to the floor and barely moving. Had to get towed to dealership for 3rd time now..call an hourbor so after 8 had calmed down enough to be civil and tell tech wrecker brought ride there that its still not fixed still issue with transmission...remind him of me telling about this odd issue of problems diagnosing. I don't hear from then in 2 days so I call to see what they found even though since 1st time we told them it was transmission..I'm told they haven't even looked at it. Said 3 guys called in that day. AND I'm pretty sure its not hard to connect computer to check codes...anyhow I reminded him again you know what I said last time. Its the transmission..I ask if it is that how long to fix so ill know how long I'll be without a vehicle. He basically says once get transmission probably havenin 2 or 3 days. I then comment on the fact I'm without a vehicle again...he basically said yes I understand and thank you ma'am and hung up...SO IM HIGHLY UPSET AND FRUSTRATED...THIS DUDE JUST PRACTICALLY HUNG UP ON ME.... So here we are today still no word from dealership. I will call or get time to have a visit with the owner as customer service says each dealership is over their own service departments. NOT HAPPY AT ALL WITH DEALERSHIP OR GM CUSTOMER SERVICE. WHAT A SCREWING THIS IS TURNING TO BE...ANY ADVICE OR SUGGESTIONS ON HOW TO PROCEED....I FEEL I SHOULDN'T HAVE TO PAY FOR TRANSMISSION SINCE WE TOLD THEM FRIM START IT WAS TRANSMISSION AND ALREADY PAID THEM OVER 2600 IN REPAIRS BUT ISSUE NOT RESOLVED AS WE SPEAK....ANS THE FACT OF WITHOUT A VEHICLE AGAIN FOR WHO KNOWS HOW LONG

Registered
I pick back up and notice engine light is on still...drives good for about 3 weeks
Paragraphs are a wonderful thing when composing an essay. Many are going to read your first sentence and move on to something else.

So you picked it up and left with the check engine light on? That was probably a bad idea and most likely the cause of your failure 3 weeks after picking it up.

In a situation like yours, don't tell the dealer what to repair/replace. Let them diagnose the problems. From the start it was probably not the transmission but the torque converter causing your shudder.

It is now possible you do need the transmission replaced. Not sure why you think it should be free.

You have a 10 year old vehicle. Not sure why you feel entitled to a loaner. Most dealers do not offer loaners or rentals on out of warranty vehicles. There are exceptions but if you are standing at the counter spitting venom at the service writer, that's pretty much not the way to motivate folks to empathize with you.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Paragraphs are a wonderful thing when composing an essay. Many are going to read your first sentence and move on to something else.

So you picked it up and left with the check engine light on? That was probably a bad idea and most likely the cause of your failure 3 weeks after picking it up.

In a situation like yours, don't tell the dealer what to repair/replace. Let them diagnose the problems. From the start it was probably not the transmission but the torque converter causing your shudder.

It is now possible you do need the transmission replaced. Not sure why you think it should be free.

You have a 10 year old vehicle. Not sure why you feel entitled to a loaner. Most dealers do not offer loaners or rentals on out of warranty vehicles. There are exceptions but if you are standing at the counter spitting venom at the service writer, that's pretty much not the way to motivate folks to empathize with you.
Sorry but I'm a detail oriented person. & the fact that the codes that they use to diagnose problems by doesn't always work apparently by the people on here who have had same problems. My point on should be free is the fact my friends same yr model had over 200,000 miles and mine had way less...its not likely to have to replace a transmission or engine of a vehicle at that mileage...and where I live yes they do provide loaners as "customer service " but due to the whole chip issue on new vehicles they are limited in fleet...now while I appreciate your opinion I still stand on my thoughts on this matter...also I had a co-worker who had a Ford SUV around same age and mileage that Ford replaced free due to the fact that it shouldn't be needing replaced that early with good care of vehicle which mine has been to dealership for anything needed and all service checks...so yes GM needs to step up.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sorry but I'm a detail oriented person. & the fact that the codes that they use to diagnose problems by doesn't always work apparently by the people on here who have had same problems. My point on should be free is the fact my friends same yr model had over 200,000 miles and mine had way less...its not likely to have to replace a transmission or engine of a vehicle at that mileage...and where I live yes they do provide loaners as "customer service " but due to the whole chip issue on new vehicles they are limited in fleet...now while I appreciate your opinion I still stand on my thoughts on this matter...also I had a co-worker who had a Ford SUV around same age and mileage that Ford replaced free due to the fact that it shouldn't be needing replaced that early with good care of vehicle which mine has been to dealership for anything needed and all service checks...so yes GM needs to step up.
Also this is a small town and I didn't spit venom at service writer...I simply stated the issue with others like mine and didn't want to go same route with outrageous costs that is not easy to just come up with and now likely going to buy a new transmission...also both of my grandfather's worked at said dealership and I wouldn't address this with service manager...you go to the man in charge..the owner of dealership if you need something done. I see that you must like reading as you read my "essay" . I'm sure other people like to read as well and if not what does this forum do for anyone except compare and contrast problems? Obviously people don't like to pay outrageous costs if not needed but you have to be able to read codes to know what computer says , which by the way can screw up itself.

Registered
I see that you must like reading as you read my "essay" .
I just like being amused. You have a 10 year old vehicle with 145k miles and are expecting GM to pay for your new transmission.

You can't base your ownership expectations on your friends ownership experience. It may be unexpected but a transmission can fail at any mileage.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I just like being amused. You have a 10 year old vehicle with 145k miles and are expecting GM to pay for your new transmission.

You can't base your ownership expectations on your friends ownership experience. It may be unexpected but a transmission can fail at any mileage.
True but when you know the problem and you tell them the problem and they fix something else abd say it did finally throw a transmission code but didn't know what it was and then I left 2 weeks after dropping off with my vehicle and get only a mile down road and its same thing..not fixed. So again tell them there are quite a few acadias with this issue and 2008 was worst but mine is in 1st edition and likely could have just as much of manufacturing duds..my vehicle did exact same thing as my friends same yr model did so apples to apples. Only thing is as posted many times here...it is difficult to diagnose for some reason. She had took hers to 3 different places and all said didn't find anything. I was put in a dangerous situation twice, thank God it was just myself in ride and not my family, because of this fluke...I seriously don't find anything amusing about it. Like I said prior, had a co worker same kind SUV only Ford, about same miles and same yr model who had issue with transmission. He felt like I do, the transmission shouldn't be going out this soon and he contacted customer service and he didn't pay a dime for repairs. So yes GM needs to back their crap up..I was raised Ford meant Found On Roadside Dead...well not this time it was GM on roadside dead. There's obviously been enough of the same issue that it should've already been looked into and have a recall or at least you would think that the service techs would be well aware of this pattern of trying to diagnose but apparently not. This is a dangerous problem and it's not like they can't write it off on taxes. It wouldn't make a tiny dent in their account and would help them be a reliable, honest, and fair company .

Registered
Sorry but I'm a detail oriented person.
A "detail-oriented" person whom apparently did not pass elementary English for grammar and punctuation.

I'm just here for the comments on this one.

My only input would be that this individual seriously needs to consider leasing in the future, as vehicle ownership may not be for her. Oh, and what did they have for a loan? 10 years? Why bring up ownership and paid-off status on a 10 year old vehicle? Makes no sense...

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
A "detail-oriented" person whom apparently did not pass elementary English for grammar and punctuation.

I'm just here for the comments on this one.

My only input would be that this individual seriously needs to consider leasing in the future, as vehicle ownership may not be for her. Oh, and what did they have for a loan? 10 years? Why bring up ownership and paid-off status on a 10 year old vehicle? Makes no sense...
Sounds like you need to find something to do other than proofreading my post. And FYI , I did pass elementary and high school and have 2 college degrees. I'm not sure wtf you are talking about a loan. .I was referring to a loaner vehicle while being diagnosed for 3rd time and being without vehicle for 2 weeks. Where I live the dealership does have loaners but with all new vehicles parked with no chips to operate them, they sold all of their loaners. But after paying 35,000 for a vehicle and taken care of like a baby, I do not think something major as transmission or engine would need replacing until more like 200,000 miles...I had a Honda Accord prior to the Acadia. It was a 2007 had until 2013 . 226,000 miles and only major repairs was timing belt which was preventative since it was by fuel filter which is hard to get to and was over 100,000. At this point proper punctuation and grammar isn't ****. Amuse yourself somewhere else if you don't have anything pertaining to my issues with vehicle.

Super Moderator
... But after paying 35,000 for a vehicle and taken care of like a baby, I do not think something major as transmission or engine would need replacing until more like 200,000 miles...
Regardless of what you think, the warranty contract between you and GM has expired. That contract was signed when the vehicle was purchased. GM owes you nothing.

Reactions: nanookvd

Registered
Are you kidding me...this car just out of warranty coverage and is paid for and shouldn't be needing a transmission replaced.
No, I'm talking about the fact that you clearly state that the vehicle is paid off 鈥 which seems like a strange thing to reference on a 10 year old vehicle as the original owner.

Your vehicle is also not "just out of warranty." It has been out of warranty for a long time.

My statement is valid about the status of the vehicle and your associated ownership. If you cannot comprehend that 145,000 miles is considered high mileage, and that anything may malfunction at any time, then perhaps leasing is a more appropriate form of securing transportation.

To be yelling at your dealership and GM to do something is not appropriate. You have the option of voting with your wallet to not repair the vehicle and to not buy GM in the future.

Registered
.I had a Honda Accord prior to the Acadia. It was a 2007 had until 2013 . 226,000 miles and only major repairs was timing belt which was preventative since it was by fuel filter which is hard to get to and was over 100,000. At this point proper punctuation and grammar isn't ****. Amuse yourself somewhere else if you don't have anything pertaining to my issues with vehicle.
I guess instead of an Acadia you should have bought a Honda Pilot. :)

Are you ranting or looking for someone to agree with your entitled attitude? You aren't going to find too many that agree with your position on expecting someone else to pay for a transmission on your decade old vehicle.

Had you been following the forum since your purchase you would realize the longevity of early Acadia's cannot be compared to a Honda Accord.

Super Moderator
I guess instead of an Acadia you should have bought a Honda Pilot. :)
Maybe they should have called Ice T and purchased one of those super duper extended service plans. ;)

Reactions: Gmcde3 and divotdug

Registered
Dealers are desperate for used cars. Sell them yours and shuffle on down the street to the Jeep/Honda/Ford dealers and start anew. You have more patience than I do.

Registered
I bought a 2011 Denali new and paid cash, $52k, a lot of money. I loved that car and still miss some parts of it.
That car was in the shop more than all the cars I have owned put together. Thanks to this forum, and a little common sense, I traded it in 2018, at 63,000 miles and the dealer gave me $16k. Peanuts.
I spent the last 3 years paying off the new car and now I am so glad I did. First, I can't imagine having to buy a car right now. Second when we picked out the new one there were a dozen of that model out there and the salesman said go out and pick your car.
I did buy American.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts