GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My wife came to me today and told me that the volt meter dropped from almost 14 volts to just a little below 13 volts. Shes had the vehicle for 2 months and today is the first time its started to do that. Is this normal or is the battery starting to go or the alternator?

UPDATE.......
Just had it tested. Battery at rest is 12.64. With engine running at idle 13.7 with everything on drops to 13.2 at idle then 13.4 when given gas in park. Now after looking up the battery for this acadia it says the one I have will fit other years but a 2011 which I found odd. Its a 48pg acdelco with 770 cca

·
Super Moderator
20,302 Posts
What she saw is normal. Read about it in your owners manual. You can find lots of posts here to read, too.

·
Super Moderator
20,302 Posts
Thanks. I only asked because it has never done it until today which seemed odd
I'd be willing to bet the gauge has done that, but no one ever noticed it. My Acadia's gauge did that all the time throughout my ownership of the vehicle.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Thanks. I only asked because it has never done it until today which seemed odd
I bought mine in March '19 and never saw the meter drop below 14.5V until my battery died and put a new one in. It now regularly drops down to about 13V (maybe a tad lower) since the new battery will accept a full charge which is something the original didn't do because it had a bad cell.

Bottom line - it's normal.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'd be willing to bet the gauge has done that, but no one ever noticed it. My Acadia's gauge did that all the time throughout my ownership of the vehicle.
Actually with the equipment thats on the truck the volt meter is closely monitored.

·
Registered
2,725 Posts
My wife came to me today and told me that the volt meter dropped from almost 14 volts to just a little below 13 volts. Shes had the vehicle for 2 months and today is the first time its started to do that. Is this normal or is the battery starting to go or the alternator
I had an '11, did the same thing. I suspect it has done it since you've had it but today was the first time it was noticed.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I had an '11, did the same thing. I suspect it has done it since you've had it but today was the first time it was noticed.
With all the equipment thats on it the meter is closely monitored. Mainly to see how much of a draw is caused with everything on. Which until today it never dropped to just under 13. It always stayed closer to 14

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just had it tested. Battery at rest is 12.64. With engine running at idle 13.7 with everything on drops to 13.2 at idle then 13.4 when given gas in park. Now after looking up the battery for this acadia it says the one I have will fit other years but a 2011 which I found odd. Its a 48pg acdelco with 770 cca

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
We have 3 GM vehicles. . . 2 model year 2017 and our 2019 Acadia.
I look at the volt gauge nearly every drive several times just to see how it behaves.
While the engine is running, I have seen readings as low as 12.6VDC up to 15 VDC. It all depends how long the vehicle sat since last being run, long or short trips, stops and starts running errands and other factors. The BCM and ECM monitor and determine charging voltage for the most part.
The volt readings are similar on all 3 GM vehicles.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts