GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I recently bought a 2011 GMC Acadia and the mechanic who owned it said he upgraded the stereo to the NAV unit. There is barely any bass to it like I know even the non-Bose system can do, and the backup camera has the "service camera" error when I put it in reverse. Any idea what to check to see how to fix this?

Note: The speaker system is the 6 speaker I believe, will check later.

·
Super Moderator
21,713 Posts
When I did searches for bose system, the nav unit in mine kept coming up as an option. Maybe it isnt bose...
Bose sound is just an add-on system (external amplifier, speakers, and subwoofer) to enhance audio in the vehicle. GM's Bose-compatible radios (w/ or w/o NAV) are set up with different connectors and controls to make use of the Bose system. If your vehicle has a Bose sound system, its speaker covers (doors at least) will be labeled as such.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Bose sound is just an add-on system (external amplifier, speakers, and subwoofer) to enhance audio in the vehicle. GM's Bose-compatible radios (w/ or w/o NAV) are set up with different connectors and controls to make use of the Bose system. If your vehicle has a Bose sound system, its speaker covers (doors at least) will be labeled as such.
So what would cause almost no bass in the system if it is non bose(does not seem to have the middle speaker so is most likely the 6 speaker system)? If it is just how that system is, would just replacing the speakers with better ones fix it, or should I get an aftermarket 4 channel amplifier and new speakers?

·
Super Moderator
21,713 Posts
So what would cause almost no bass in the system if it is non bose(does not seem to have the middle speaker so is most likely the 6 speaker system)? If it is just how that system is, would just replacing the speakers with better ones fix it, or should I get an aftermarket 4 channel amplifier and new speakers?
I think you should get answers from the "mechanic" who installed the NAV unit. It's difficult to second guess someone else's work.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think you should get answers from the "mechanic" who installed the NAV unit. It's difficult to second guess someone else's work.
It’s all original except the stereo which was upgraded, same plugs as the old stereo.

·
Registered
3,143 Posts
It’s all original except the stereo which was upgraded, same plugs as the old stereo.
You bought it used so you have no guarantees the replacement unit does not have issues. Have you asked the seller about the issue?

I would be checking for loose or corroded connections.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Manufacturers often have proprietary systems, that really don't work with other equipment well. Is the head/nav unit factory?
I'd contact Crutchfield with the details of the system, and see if they have a band-aid. They may recommend a new unit however if they don't sell what you have.

Reactions: GoBlueBo

·
Registered
5 Posts
You could have a bad amp and/or bad factory speakers and/or corrosion in your speaker wires. I have a 2010 and have all these issues. My solution was to go with an aftermarket amp and speakers and run all new speaker wires. The original amp and speakers had corrosion on the terminals. I read somewhere that some how moisture gets in the doors causing the corrosion which in turns ruins the amp. I added a low profile sub since I was upgrading. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
3,143 Posts
You could have a bad amp and/or bad factory speakers and/or corrosion in your speaker wires. I have a 2010 and have all these issues. My solution was to go with an aftermarket amp and speakers and run all new speaker wires. The original amp and speakers had corrosion on the terminals. I read somewhere that some how moisture gets in the doors causing the corrosion which in turns ruins the amp. I added a low profile sub since I was upgrading. Hope this helps.
Dang, 4 posts in 11 years, where do you find the time 🤣🤣

·
Registered
5 Posts
When did Bose start producing Navigation equipment/software?

gmc
I know if you buy Bose stuff directly and register it, they ALWAYS have covered repairs. Had Bose tv speaker & soundwave not ejecting cd's. I contacted them and fixed without any costs for each.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts