GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Very elderly family member failed to get TSB(SB-10056459-3388) done on a 34k mile Acadia within 10 year limit, that switches fluid to Dextron VI. Surprisingly the power steering still works but the fluid is really black. What fluid would you use to flush it out with for now, to buy some time. What is the OEM fluid? Thank you

·
Super Moderator
20,026 Posts
Very elderly family member failed to get TSB(SB-10056459-3388) done on a 34k mile Acadia within 10 year limit, that switches fluid to Dextron VI. Surprisingly the power steering still works but the fluid is really black. What fluid would you use to flush it out with for now, to buy some time. What is the OEM fluid? Thank you
Welcome to the forum.
Check the owners manual for that year Acadia to see if the factory made a switch to Dexron VI in the power steering system - then, use any brand Dexron VI. Otherwise, the manual will give the GM part number for power steering fluid - you can use other brands of GM compatible p/s fluid. Owners manuals for any model year Acadia are availble on the 'net if you don't have one. Use "(model year) Acadia oners manual" as your keywords.

Reactions: Nail Grease

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Welcome to the forum.
Check the owners manual for that year Acadia to see if the factory made a switch to Dexron VI in the power steering system - then, use any brand Dexron VI. Otherwise, the manual will give the GM part number for power steering fluid - you can use other brands of GM compatible p/s fluid. Owners manuals for any model year Acadia are availble on the 'net if you don't have one. Use "(model year) Acadia oners manual" as your keywords.
I called GM. By the VIN #, it was established that this vehicle was eligible to have the TSB performed to switch to Dextron VI.
I'll search for the OM. Ty

·
Super Moderator
20,026 Posts
Frankly, I wouldn't worry about the TSB if the p/s is working well. I never had the '07 p/s system worked on at a dealership. The type of fluid put in it was factory spec.

Reactions: Nail Grease

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Welcome to the forum.
I ask for the owners manual and my answer was always there.
GM part # 89021184.
Use OEM fluid or aftermarket?
Synthetic? Thanks for the help.

·
Super Moderator
20,026 Posts
Use OEM fluid or aftermarket?
Synthetic? Thanks for the help.
That part number is for regular GM power steering fluid. There is nothing special about it. You can use any brand of regular GM-compatible PSF that you can find.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That part number is for regular GM power steering fluid. There is nothing special about it. You can use any brand of regular GM-compatible PSF that you can find.
Ok,
Trouble is, I been finding products that say for GM vehicles, but have other GM part #s. I'll keep looking.
Thanks again for heading me in the right direction!

·
Super Moderator
20,026 Posts
Trouble is, I been finding products that say for GM vehicles, but have other GM part #s.
GM part numbers can change without appearing on another brand's label. Doesn't necessarily mean the product itself has changed.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
GM part numbers can change without appearing on another brand's label. Doesn't necessarily mean the product itself has changed.
I use a lot of aftermarket products in all my many vehicles. Since this GMC isn't mine, I'm not wanting to make any mistakes. The neglect is bad enough. 😓

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Yep.
89021184 is discontinued.
19329450 is the replacement.
Ok, the same website that says 19329450 is the replacement.., when I enter the vehicle info, it says this fluid is not compatible. 🤦‍♂️
Added: Several GM parts sites say 19329450 is discontinued too.
What a mess.
My leads went cold.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited by Moderator)
After searching, cross referencing and using Bob the Oil guys website..., I came to the conclusion that part # 19329450 (16oz) is the same fluid as 19329448 (32oz).

Purchased at Pep Boys for $10.99.
20200912_155500.jpg

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
In all this research, I found that AutoZone Honda Power Steering Fluid 12oz. (Part # AZ860211 SKU # 84948) is compatible with this 2010 GMC Acadia that has not been converted to Dextron VI.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts