GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We just received the dreaded P0008 error code on 2010 Acadia which has approximately 130k miles on the books. Our mechanic is recommending engine replacement versus replacing timing belt due to engine age and mileage. As of now the car is really not worth much due to a previous accident. I certainly don't want to throw money away on this thing. After surfing all the threads on this issue, one thing I have not found is the success ratio and engine life after timing belt replacement?

At this point I am almost willing to drive this thing till it calls it quits but would not be adverse to putting a bit of money into it if it has a good chance of lasting a few more years.

Thanks for the feedback!

·
Super Moderator
18,310 Posts
Welcome to the forum.
It seems the original timing chains lasted 130K miles. Is your mechanic going to give you the same 5 yr./100K mi. warranty that GM gave out with their new cars if the engine is replaced?

·
Registered
332 Posts
Wow! Timing chain replacement at 130,000 miles? That’s pretty bad!

Did you run the engine low on oil or was there any other reason given for this?

Also - I wouldn’t replace an engine just to replace a timing chain - unless you’ve got a laundry list of other serious issues. It’s the devil you know.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Never run low on oil. Always changed oil at 6000 mile intervals. Yes the mechanic would give a warranty on the new motor but it is NOT the route I want to go.

I am honestly thinking of getting a couple of estimates on timing chain(s) replacement and going based on that. I just wish I had some metrics on success and longevity of the fix.

Thanks for the feedback!

·
Super Moderator
18,310 Posts
I am honestly thinking of getting a couple of estimates on timing chain(s) replacement and going based on that. ...
Not a bad way to go if you're planning to keep the car. It should cost about $1500-$2000 to get the job done. Question any estimate higher than $2200, unless you live in an area with outrageous labor rates. Labor is most of the cost.

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
Wow! Timing chain replacement at 130,000 miles? That’s pretty bad!

Did you run the engine low on oil or was there any other reason given for this?

Also - I wouldn’t replace an engine just to replace a timing chain - unless you’ve got a laundry list of other serious issues. It’s the devil you know.
Not an uncommon failure in early Lambda platform vehicles. My son, the service advisor, has seen some low mileage vehicles come into the shop with so much sludge behind the timing chain cover everyone scratched their heads wondering how the thing even ran.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Not an uncommon failure in early Lambda platform vehicles. My son, the service advisor, has seen some low mileage vehicles come into the shop with so much sludge behind the timing chain cover everyone scratched their heads wondering how the thing even ran.
So you’re saying “improper maintenance” in those cases?

A co-worker’s timing chain broke on his (2009 or 2010?) Saturn Outlook, but it was over 200,000 miles ... so not ‘terrible’. The vehicle was otherwise in excellent condition (southern climate, just him and his wife), so he replaced the engine with a Jasper. Ended up costing him $5,000, but there were complications (noises). Jasper exchanged the engine, but to this day (coming up on two years now) the vehicle still isn’t right. The engine frequently “misses”, and his long-time personal mechanic cannot fix it (even though he apparently has dealer-level diagnostic equipment).

Every so often I ask him, “what’s the latest with the Outlook?”, and the reply is always “the same thing”. He feels kinda stuck : wife not happy, but he feels like he’s gotta put up with it because of the money he poured into it.

To the question about longevity and cost, I’d look at it this way: get an independent mechanic to do it for $1500, and then drive it at least 3 more years. It’ll surely last (at least) that long, and $500/year is a good metric for a major repair like that.

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
So you’re saying “improper maintenance” in those cases?
Hard to say. The early vehicles had the oil life monitor set to come on at around 10k miles. That proved to be too long. Many an engine built up a lot of sludge. Meant an early death to the timing chains.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
To the question about longevity and cost, I’d look at it this way: get an independent mechanic to do it for $1500, and then drive it at least 3 more years. It’ll surely last (at least) that long, and $500/year is a good metric for a major repair like that.
Agree with this. Shop quoted $8000 for full engine replacement and highly recommended against just doing the timing chains. They have always treated us right in the past. I will call and get a quote for just timing chains.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I bought a 2009 Acadia with 175,000 miles on it for $2,700. Drove it 25,000 miles and the engine was shot. Every thing else on the car was in excellent shape and was maintained by dealer and garage kept by the previous owner. I had the engine completely rebuilt for $3,400 and $1,200 to have it taken out and put back in. Runs great now and could not be happier.

·
Registered
5 Posts
In October/November 2016 (almost 3 years ago) I had the same on my 2010 Acadia with 97,000 miles. Replaced timing chain at my expense as I was over the time limit even though under 100k miles. At 130K miles now without timing chain issues. Have subsequently had to replace starter, flex plate, O2 sensor ($400) and Transmission Control Module ($1,500+).

·
Registered
332 Posts
I bought a 2009 Acadia with 175,000 miles on it for $2,700. Drove it 25,000 miles and the engine was shot. Every thing else on the car was in excellent shape and was maintained by dealer and garage kept by the previous owner. I had the engine completely rebuilt for $3,400 and $1,200 to have it taken out and put back in. Runs great now and could not be happier.
Not bad. $7300 for a clean, garaged vehicle, and a rebuilt engine.

My metric for “getting your money’s worth out of a car” is $1000/year gross cost (purchase price /years of ownership, not counting maintenance). Almost impossible to do nowadays with these outrageous new car prices, but you can surely hit that metric with this used car purchase!

Heck - even up to $1500/year isn’t bad. That’s my goal with my 2011 Equinox, along with my requisite 222,222 miles driven! So far I’m at almost 9 years and 135,000 miles.

·
Registered
8,458 Posts
I totally understand WESURVEY's train of thought.
For our Lambda...
Its a California Car... so you look at the body, suspension, paint, etc. No Rust. There road grime....but no rust.
All suspension pieces- simply spray with Simple Green- and wipe it clean... and you scratch your head... how could I 'junk' this.
Interior- looks great..... a scenario like this poster....... vs $40,000 for a new unit.

here- I replaced the sway bar bushing and quickly spray/wipe up the bar and cradle...

some suspension pieces that will be replaced due to mileage..

Theres 153,000 miles on my Traverse

replace a few pieces and wipe it clean (easier to replace the entire control arm than replace bushings)-
I will have a lot of thinking to do when I reach that moment...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
About this Discussion
13 Replies
7 Participants
rbarrios
GMC Acadia Forum
Join our Acadia Forum community where enthusiasts discuss mods and troubleshooting for the GMC Acadia and Denali Crossover SUV.
Full Forum Listing