GMC Acadia Forum banner

2009's Almost Here !!!!

8K views 22 replies 13 participants last post by  elliotjames 
#1 ·
#3 ·
Seems like you are going to have to keep waiting. They are still building-out (subject to the strike work stoppage) the '08's. This will likely take a while. Sorry to kill the mood.

#4 ·
Also the article posted seems to imply they don't have a high degree of confidence the new DI engine will produce much if any MPG increase.

#5 ·
To what I can surmise from all I have read, is the DI engine realistically will lower emissions but for the consumer only marginal improvement in fuel mileage. I sure hope I am wrong, but time will tell once they finally get built and put on the road.

I will be extremely impressed if the new DI engine pulls consistent 25mpg with AWD. I would declare that a technological marvel!

#6 ·
Somehow I think if they thought they would approach that kind of mileage (25 mpg highway on the AWD) it would have been hyped more when the Traverse was on the auto show circuit. We will see...

Also I am sure it WILL be slightly better and perhaps the extra HP etc. will help smooth out the slight remaining shifting issues during highway cruise etc.

#9 ·
I agree with Jake_99. To add my 2 cents... then with the Yaris giving the great mpg
you have little utility, which the Acadia DELIVERS a plenty. You can easily fit family
and inlaws in with much comfort, and still have room for luggage. Most of us buy
for the utility anyways :)

#10 ·
Still, it would be nice to see mileage at least reach over 20 combined and have the best of both worlds. It is disappointing that GM chose to put the Hybrid technology in the Tahoe/Yukon and not the Lambdas where I think it would have a much bigger impact. If an Acadia could get similar mileage to a Toyota Highlander Hyrbid, it would be a slam dunk for me.
With the mileage reports I am reading here, I'm not yet ready to move to that Acadia from my current SUV which gets about 16-17 combined. I'd go for the Highlander now if it wasn't for the fact that the AWD system cannot handle any significant snow.

#11 ·
Thrumcap said:
Still, it would be nice to see mileage at least reach over 20 combined and have the best of both worlds. It is disappointing that GM chose to put the Hybrid technology in the Tahoe/Yukon and not the Lambdas where I think it would have a much bigger impact. If an Acadia could get similar mileage to a Toyota Highlander Hyrbid, it would be a slam dunk for me.
With the mileage reports I am reading here, I'm not yet ready to move to that Acadia from my current SUV which gets about 16-17 combined. I'd go for the Highlander now if it wasn't for the fact that the AWD system cannot handle any significant snow.
I think the Tahoe/Yukon has a much bigger engine bay (compared to the Lambdas) to be able to stuff all the extra things necessary for hybrid. If you look under the hood of the Lambda, the engine bay is already packed completely full.

#12 ·
Kloogee said:
I think the Tahoe/Yukon has a much bigger engine bay (compared to the Lambdas) to be able to stuff all the extra things necessary for hybrid. If you look under the hood of the Lambda, the engine bay is already packed completely full.
True but I meant that that it is disappointing that they didn't develop a different hybrid engine to fit the Lambdas rather than the Tahoe/Yukon. Kind of like how Toyota has figured out how to cram a hybrid into the same space as the non-hybrid Highlander.

#13 ·
It would be great to have a hybrid option in the Lambdas, then again hybrid
technology doesn't come cheap...at least at the present. The market
will determine the profitability of large vehicles like the Yukon Hybrid, and if
sales really take off more players will enter the market and ultimately the
cost of the hybrid will be driven down. At the moment here are the hard
$$$cash facts:

A base model Yukon Hybrid AWD MSRP $53,775
A base model Yukon Gas AWD MSRP $40,670
Difference of $13,670. That's a whopping additional up front outlay and if
you don't own long term you probably won't realise any $$$ benefit.

The Highlander Hybrid base cost $6,400 more that a gas model. And the Highlander
is a midsize CUV, unlike the full size lambdas.

When you consider that a base model Acadia AWD list at $32,500. I don't know how
many hybrid Acadias GM would sell if the starting price point was around $40,000
for a base model. I think GM got there marketing research with the Acadia right this
time around, and the market will ultimately determine if a Hybrid lambda shows up
down the road :)

#14 ·
I agree with Glass 1/2 full. The Hybrid options may lower gas consumption, and if the goal is to reduce the amount of gas we use, then I think they are the option. When I looked about a year ago, the gas models still ended up being the lowest overall price in the long run. And I assumed the maintenance costs to 150,000 would be the same. Who knows, it might very well be that the hybrids will have higher maintenance costs.

#15 ·
Glass 1/2 full said:
It would be great to have a hybrid option in the Lambdas, then again hybrid
technology doesn't come cheap...at least at the present. The market
will determine the profitability of large vehicles like the Yukon Hybrid, and if
sales really take off more players will enter the market and ultimately the
cost of the hybrid will be driven down. At the moment here are the hard
$$$cash facts:

A base model Yukon Hybrid AWD MSRP $53,775
A base model Yukon Gas AWD MSRP $40,670
Difference of $13,670. That's a whopping additional up front outlay and if
you don't own long term you probably won't realise any $$$ benefit.

The Highlander Hybrid base cost $6,400 more that a gas model. And the Highlander
is a midsize CUV, unlike the full size lambdas.

When you consider that a base model Acadia AWD list at $32,500. I don't know how
many hybrid Acadias GM would sell if the starting price point was around $40,000
for a base model. I think GM got there marketing research with the Acadia right this
time around, and the market will ultimately determine if a Hybrid lambda shows up
down the road :)

The price difference is not exactly accurate. The Hybrid model is fully loaded with options and the comparison to a similarly equipped non-hybrid is somewhere in the $47,000 range. I saw that last week on Motorweek.

#17 ·
I found that to be very true when comparing hybrid to non-hybrid models and not just with GM. It was a bit tough to get a true comparison. I still found, when doing what I thought was a good comparison, that in the compact car arena, the little gas mpg improvement, was not worth the added cost. (for me)

#19 ·
Thanks Marc, I realise it may be difficult to compare hybrid to non-hybrids due to
equipment specs. However my foundational point remains the same.

Pay up front or pay later.

Hybrid technology will save you $$ at each fill up. However you have to spend
thousands more up front, compared to the non-hybrid.

Let' assume a comparable hybrid costs $5K more than its non-hybrid counterpart.
If you finance your note is $5k more plus the additional interest. If you pay cash
you must factor in the opportunity cost your $5k could have brought you had you
chosen to invest it, missing out on compounded interest plus your $5K principle.

Break even point. Your opportunity cost ($5k + interest) into your gas savings.
This could take 5+ years, or maybe more depending on your annual mileage. If you
change you vehicle every 3 - 4 years wow look out :)

#20 ·
And only time will tell if the added usage of gas or all the dead batteries will be worse on the environment. :angel:

#21 ·
For me and I'm sure for many others, the desire to go hybrid has a lot more to do with using less fuel than it does with saving money over the life of the vehicle. There is also value in paying a premium to drive a vehicle with the latest technology that offers all the benefits of a gas guzzling SUV without the gas guzzling.
It is frustrating that the auto makers are so slow with getting their act together on this. It's not like the technology doesn't exist. It is here and people want it.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.