GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been in my new 09 for about a week now and love this car!! The only thing that is bothering me is the driver's seat headrest. It is tilted forward and, since I am short, hits me right in the back of the head. We figured out how to move it up and down but not forward and back. Am I missing something or do I have to live with the headrest being tilted forward? The passenger one does not appear to be nearly as forward tilting. Help?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Seems to me that the only adjustment is up and down. Only the 3rd row headrest moves forward and back, but that's to accommodate folding down the seats. ;)

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
I have seen this topic since the 2007s. I think some people actually removed the headrest and put it in backwards to solve the problem. But for sure there is no forward/backward adjustment. :(

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was afraid of that! We tried to put it in backwards actually but it didn't seem like it would fit and we didn't want to force it in. Oh well. If that's the worst thing about this car, I'll live with it!

·
Premium Member
3,212 Posts
Its probably designed like that to prevent the head from moving back during a rear end collision, to prevent whiplash. My wife complains about it too.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Geohawk that is exactly it..

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That makes sense. It is just unfortunate for us short people:)

·
Registered
134 Posts
I ran into this while shopping the Honda Pilot. Click on the link and watch the video clip on the head restraints.

http://automobiles.honda.com/pilot/features.aspx?Feature=3rowsideairbags

If the link does not work on the right side under Safety > (Click) Active Front Head Restraints. An animated clip should start up. This could be the same reason why the Acadia's head rest are the way they are..

·
Registered
5 Posts
headrests

hello all.
here's a simple question for you. I feel kinda silly asking as I've consulted with my acadia handbook already, but is there any way to tilt the headrest back a little? They seem to be angled forward too far for my taste. I don't want to 'jimmy' it and end up breaking something. Just wondering if anyone else has felt this way or has a solution???

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
See my post above about this topic...there doesn't seem to be anything we can do with these darn headrests! The tilt forward is uncomfortable, especially for short people. I just lifted mine higher up so it doesn't hit me in the back of the head.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Failure of the Head Restraints to adjust was big topic last week on Enclave Forum. No help on factory units as they cannot be tilted.
One suggestion was After Market units with the DVD screens in them. They do tilt, but expensive cure.
Some relief can be felt by a few drivers by reclining the seat back itself which will help prevent the Head Restraint from touching your head in normal driving.
BD

P.S. The following is a link to the discussion on the Enclave Forum: http://www.enclaveforum.net/index.php?topic=3771.msg50220#msg50220
The after market units are discussed in Replies #5 & 10 for those that are interested.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Big Daddy said:
Failure of the Head Restraints to adjust was big topic last week on Enclave Forum. No help on factory units as they cannot be tilted.
One suggestion was After Market units with the DVD screens in them. They do tilt, but expensive cure.
Some relief can be felt by a few drivers by reclining the seat back itself which will help prevent the Head Restraint from touching your head in normal driving.
BD
This isn't a failure in design, it is a requirement from the government. All new cars have this crappy design, just the way it's gonna be unless they change safety regs.

·
Registered
533 Posts
ttwins1107 said:
If the link does not work on the right side under Safety > (Click) Active Front Head Restraints. An animated clip should start up. This could be the same reason why the Acadia's head rest are the way they are..
ttwins1107,

Thx for the link. That was quite informative - as simple as it was. For me, I'm pretty tall and they feel fine for me. But, even if I was shorter, knowing what these headrests are designed to do for me would be enough to keep me satisfied. Neck injuries are bad news, so this improvement in function is welcome!

Smooth[/color] <><

·
Registered
487 Posts
I guess the key is it is not a head rest but as in ttwins post it is a head restraint[/color].

·
Registered
9 Posts
I bought a new 2009 yesterday. The test drive revealed the headrest problem for the shorter member of our duo. We either solved the problem or she wasn't going to ride in the car. Leaving it unresolved was tempting but a very wise salesperson advised otherwise. He said he had never heard of the problem. We went out to the lot and after much fiddling around he had the boss tip the seat back, pulled the head rest off and turned it around. It doesn't fit perfectly but it definitely solved the problem and still works as a protective device. A headrest with the DVD unit in it would not come off. It may have something on it to make theft more difficult. Good luck.

·
Registered
487 Posts
mule22 said:
I bought a new 2009 yesterday. The test drive revealed the headrest problem for the shorter member of our duo. We either solved the problem or she wasn't going to ride in the car. Leaving it unresolved was tempting but a very wise salesperson advised otherwise. He said he had never heard of the problem. We went out to the lot and after much fiddling around he had the boss tip the seat back, pulled the head rest off and turned it around. It doesn't fit perfectly but it definitely solved the problem and still works as a protective device. A headrest with the DVD unit in it would not come off. It may have something on it to make theft more difficult. Good luck.
I know this solves the comfort problem, but I have to disagree that it still works as a protective device. I'm not saying I agree with the national safety regulations that require this, just that when you turn the headrest around you negate the safety factor of the headrest.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I like the basic idea of the design and reason. It also keeps the driver's head upright and attentive to the road, which is a good thing. But, a slight decrease in the final product's forward pitch would be a major help. It does bug me at times too. My wife hates it, period. I drive leaning back some, so that's why it doesn't bother me as much. My wife drives with the seat as upward as it can go, would do 90% if it could.

·
Registered
9 Posts
The problem regarding headrest discomfort went away with the delivery of the actual vehicle we were purchasing. The passenger seat headrest in our new car does not hit the boss in the back of the head like the test vehicle we drove so we have not had to turn it around. Go figure! Speaking of new cars, this baby is awesome! I have put 1000 miles on it in the first week and love everything about it. Have had it in the mountains, in 6" of snow and ice, on the interstate, and around town and it has performed perfectly.

·
Registered
30 Posts
newgmcgirl said:
I've been in my new 09 for about a week now and love this car!! The only thing that is bothering me is the driver's seat headrest. It is tilted forward and, since I am short, hits me right in the back of the head. We figured out how to move it up and down but not forward and back. Am I missing something or do I have to live with the headrest being tilted forward? The passenger one does not appear to be nearly as forward tilting. Help?
I realize this is an on-going problem - for me too with my new acadia. I also understand the need for head protection in a crash - so turning the headrest around wasn't protection enough.

I noticed the second row captains' chairs had a much less intrusive design yet still offered the head protection. So I researched an old post which told you how to remove the little metal clips holding the headrest on the second row chair and took one and put it on the drivers' seat. Since I completely removed one captain's chair on the second row to make room for the dogs, safety for my passenger isn't an issue.

I can't think of any reason why this won't work for me and its much more comfortable.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Headrest - uncomfortable?

Hello - recent Acadia purchase here. Got my SLT2 about 6 weeks ago. I've noticed, since driving the Acadia full time, that I've had pains in my lower neck/upper shoulders and the only thing I can identify as changing is the seat style from my TrailBlazer to the Acadia. The TrailBlazer had a flat headrest, while the Acadia's is angled forward. I've lowered the headrest as far as possible (as I'm 5'3), but I still can't get comfortable. Has anyone else experienced a similar problem, and if so, what did you do about it? I love my new car, just hate the pain :'(

1 - 20 of 23 Posts