GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I debated about whether to wait for an '09 with the DI system vs. an '08. I ended up ordering an '08 and have been very happy with it so far.

However, I'm curious about your experiences with the DI engine. Is the performance / shifting / fuel economy improved over the non-DI models? Any other differences? I know you may not be able to compare if you did not own an earlier model, but I would be interested in your comments. Thanks and Merry Christmas!

·
Registered
70 Posts
I can only compare to the short 10 minute test drive I had of a 2008. IMO 2009 seems to shift much smoother while also having noticably more power. This is not a very good comparison as I'd obviously need to drive a 2008 much more, but in a nutshell, I'm VERY HAPPY with the DI in my 09!! ;D :thumb:

·
Registered
2 Posts
DI is nice addition to an already superb engine. Upside is more power with better fuel economy (more efficiency) Downside is a little noiser due to the high pressure fuel system and slight hesitation when cold due to lean operation for emissions. The biggest upside is a new Bosch engine controller which allows the transmission to integrate better with the engine. This has allowed new programming for the transmission hence the much improved shifting. Its probably the most advanced normally aspirated engine/transmission system on any domestic car.

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
I have adjusted to and am happy with my 08 and would not upgrade to an 09. (i.e. It's not worth it to me to trade in early just to get the DI)

I think it is an easy decision. Get the 09.

·
Registered
487 Posts
I would say unless you can get a kick @$$ deal on an 08 get the 09. It definitely makes a difference in all aspects you talked about. MPG maybe not so much, my wife gets about 18 in town and we get 23 on the hwy.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
I think only a person who has been driving a 2008, can really make a good assessment of the differences.
I can say this: from test driving both vehicles, you may feel a slight enhancement in the 2009's performance.
Having driven mine for some time now, I have absolutely no gripes what so ever with
the power or the shifting in the 2009 Acadia! :blob:

Colorado GM said it best, unless they give you a GREAT deal on a 2008, buy the 2009.

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
There are a few other minor differences members have found from 08 to 09:
08 has side lettering on the door, 09 does not.
08 has cup holders at the rear of the console, 09 does not.
08 has a glovebox light, 09 does not.

09 supposedly has a better transmission- this was mentioned in a post, not sure which section.

Isn't the HP difference only like 6 or so? I doubt you would feel that.

Biggest difference for us was the cooled seat option in 09. Happy wife= happy life, plus support for your next mid-life/retirement crisis vehicle. :)

·
Registered
37 Posts
Blue- are you a Jeff Allen fan.. "Happy Wife, Happy Life"?

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
More like Tim Allen (even if he is a F**d guy- his first car was a Corvair!)- but I heard someone say it on TV recently, so that is probably where it came from.

·
Premium Member
3,212 Posts
4LitreRR said:
"Happy Wife, Happy Life"?
Truer words have not been spoken. :D

·
Registered
156 Posts
Blue_2009_SLT2 said:
There are a few other minor differences members have found from 08 to 09:
08 has side lettering on the door, 09 does not.
08 has cup holders at the rear of the console, 09 does not.
08 has a glovebox light, 09 does not.

09 supposedly has a better transmission- this was mentioned in a post, not sure which section.

Isn't the HP difference only like 6 or so? I doubt you would feel that.

Biggest difference for us was the cooled seat option in 09. Happy wife= happy life, plus support for your next mid-life/retirement crisis vehicle. :)
HP now is 288.... before the '09 it is 275HP. That could be 13HP. It's still a heavy pig IMHO. Not enough giddy up for such a heavy beast. Give me a Sport option please! The Ford Flex will be coming out with a higher HP verison.... cough-cough, GM are you listening?!

·
Registered
487 Posts
3rd Timer said:
HP now is 288.... before the '09 it is 275HP. That could be 13HP. It's still a heavy pig IMHO. Not enough giddy up for such a heavy beast. Give me a Sport option please! The Ford Flex will be coming out with a higher HP verison.... cough-cough, GM are you listening?!
I love performance as much as the next guy, but I don't understand why people don't think nearly 300 horse is good enough for this vehicle. In most 2 lane highway passing I can accelerate to 90 mph before I make it around the person. Also, when merging onto highways I have never had to have it floored to merge at the speed limit. As I stated in another post my parents had a Suburban with 235 horse and it did fine pulling our 20 ft mastercraft and except for a few mountain situations never needed more power. I'd like someone to explain what enough power is.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I agree on the power thing. They are very adequate. The only thing I don't like is the power from 20-40 mph or so. It's pretty doggy down low, but once up to speed (at least ours) they will run pretty good. When I floor it to go around someone and it hits 6400 rpm it'll hit 90 mph pretty quick. I've never had a problem with the top-end performance. Horsepower, in my opinion is for rear-wheel drive cars. But, I'm sure if GM came out with a higher horsepower version like a limited deal, they sell quite a few.

·
Registered
79 Posts
We have only had ours for a week and we have not gotten beyond break in but our AWD '09 SLT-1 seems to have plenty of spunk, not sure it feels as strong as the 5.3 in our Silverado but they have similar HP ratings.

·
Registered
34 Posts
The power thing seems to be folks actually wanting a bit more torque (because of the amount of vehicle being motivated here), not necessarily horsepower. However, with more horsepower in a gasoline engine typically comes more torque which is usually why people want more ponies.

It's just a thought and some folks may actually want to drag-race these things... who really knows. The hard thing to do is to get great torque out of a small gasoline engine. For really good torque, you need to go diesel; but then you have a whole host of other issues to deal with.

Of course, this is just my opinion, I could be wrong.

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
I recall reading about torque vs HP in many Chevy High Performance articles back when I used to subscribe.

HP was described as torque over time, and it is torque that moves the vehicle.

Factory motors are tuned to deliver smooth performance over a wide RPM range. It is possible to make a lot of HP at higher RPM, but this comes at the cost of loss of torque on the lower RPM range. Likewise, if you make more torque at lower RPM, you will have less HP at higher RPM. Larger motors make more torque and burn more fuel. Other performance factors past the motor include the stall number of an automatic transmission's torque converter (tight vs loose), and transmission and differential gearing.

Consider the following numbers:
1995 Chevy Camaro w/ LT1 V8, 5.7L:
HP: 275
TQ: 325
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GM_LT_engine

2007-2008 Acadia w/ LY7 V6, 3.6L
HP: 275 <--- Same as the LT1![/color]
TQ: 251 <--- 23% less than the LT1[/color]

2009 Acadia w/LLT V6, 3.6L
HP: 288 <--- 5% more than the LT1[/color]
TQ: 270 <--- 17% less than the LT1[/color]
What is also amazing is this motor has an over 11:1 compression ratio (CR) and runs on 87 octane gas. Not too long ago, most V8 applications had to run a much lower CR (say around 9:1) to run on octane this low.
2009 Acadia Engine Power curve

The way HP/TQ was rated changed between 1995 & 2007+, so it is not an exact comparison, but the Acadia motor is certainly impressive for power output vs displacement.

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts
This post shows how far we have come in the ways of producing HP and torque. A V6 producing the same HP as a 95 V8 albeit the torque is lower but that is to be expected from a V6

·
Registered
34 Posts
Could not agree more with the torque numbers you all have supplied and it illustrates very well the point I was attempting to make about more torque being the most probably desired characteristic here. The HP is good, the torque is a bit week (but getting better!)

So, let's all put LT-1 engines in here and see what happens.

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
I used the LT1 (Gen 2 V8) as an example since I have a '95 Trans Am & when I saw the 2008 Acadia had 275 HP that was the first thing I thought about.

The newer V8 motors are much better off also. The 2005 L33 Gen 3 V8 I put into two of my foreign cars is only 5.3L, has an aluminum block, and makes 310 HP/ 325 TQ out of the box. One was from a GMC Sierra BTW! I don't know the specs for the Gen 4 V8 motors, but they are better yet I'm sure.

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts
Blue,

I think you should be the first forum member to swap our their Acadia motor for a V8! :eek:

1 - 20 of 28 Posts