GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife has a 2009 Acadia that the interior lights do not work when the door is open. It has been like this for many years and I’m trying to earn “wife credit” by tracing and resolving this issue.

Its not as simple as the dome light override as I have seen in many posts.

The lights work fine when switching to ON but they do not work automatically when doors are open and I hoping someone would be interested and willing to assist me in trying to trace this issue and suggest where I should begin my testing?

I’m proficient with a multimeter and test lamp but I really would not know where to begin on this vehicle in terms of starting to trace this issue. I’m certain that my wife would trade one of our children to anyone that could assist me. I really would like to try to resolve and surprise her.

Thank you!!

·
Super Moderator
19,561 Posts
You'll find a thread with a link to download the 2010 service manual in another thread on the forum. Info in there should be good for your vehicle. The manual will have diagrams needed to follow the courtesy light/door switch circuit. Scanning the system for BCM codes might be helpful, too. Some of them do not set off a warning light. The problem could go as far as the BCM.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hello George, yes this applies to all doors. Additionally I should tell you that i have checked what I believe to be relays and fuses that I believe are related to the courtesy lights.

·
Registered
824 Posts
If you can't find the FSM, I may be able to share a wiring diagram. Hopefully it's not the BCM.

·
Registered
230 Posts
You can try this. Start the truck, put it in drive, with both park and hydraulic brakes on of course. One by one, open each door and see if you get the message that the door is open on the DIC, that will tell you if the BCM get the inputs.
Chances the all four door switches went bad are pretty remote.

·
Super Moderator
19,561 Posts
Good option! It's not necessary to start the engine to get the message, though. Turn the key to 'ON' position and put shifter in gear. The message will still show when you open any door if switches are working. (I just went out to the garage and did it with shifter in 'D'/foot on the brake. Opened 3 doors from the driver's seat - those I could reach at the time- and 'Door Open' message illuminated.)

·
Registered
981 Posts
Hello George, yes this applies to all doors. Additionally I should tell you that i have checked what I believe to be relays and fuses that I believe are related to the courtesy lights.
Just recently I read of a member who had the same problem (here or another forum) IIRC. He found that one of the rear door switch "plungers" was stuck or popped inward. He removed the switch and unpopped it and all started working again.
Now why or how one door switch would prevent ALL the lights from coming on is a mystery. Anyway. . maybe check and verify each door switch is in good condition, not corroded, etc

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok Gentlemen!! You guys are amazing!! I really like the way you are thinking about this. I did test with key in ignition turned to on... and in Drive. All of the doors responded that door is open. I did also test running... and in park.. non of the doors responded but the rear lift gate would respond even with car in park.

·
Registered
230 Posts
That is the way it should be, in park you should get a message that the hood is open and that the hatch is open, but not the doors. How does the override switch feel? Does it rock between the two positions, and stay put? Maybe a defective override switch.

·
Super Moderator
19,561 Posts
Just for giggles, open the driver's door, reach into the vehicle, and press the switch at the top-right of the headlight switch assembly. Wait a bit and see if the courtesy lights illuminate (they'll come on gradually because of 'theater lighting').

·
Super Moderator
19,561 Posts
I actually did replace the entire light switch try to test the override... :(
The courtesy lights should also illuminate when you turn the IP display dimmer knob all the way to the right. More in-depth troubleshooting will be required if they don't.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
when I turn the dimmer fully the right I can feel and hear the click in the dimmer switch that the light is supposed to be on... but the dome does not come on. The dash board does dim fine... and the map lights work fine if using the switch by the lights... but there seems to be a connection that is not being made between the switch and the dome lights.

·
Super Moderator
19,561 Posts
... but there seems to be a connection that is not being made between the switch and the dome lights.
That would likely be the circuit which controls 'theater lighting.' It's looking a lot more like a BCM problem.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
What would be your thoughts on BCM? I am take it out to replace it but is that something that would need to be programmed by dealer? I have read different things about this like maybe you can replace at home and go thru a process to reset over a period of handful of different turning on and waiting turn off, etc... and eventually it will reset but then I feel like there are others that say only a dealer can program? I can replace (believe i would need part 22860591) but would be ideal if I felt I could program at home or maybe even get a used one relatively inexpensively to test. I have just never replaced a bcm previously.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Just a stupid question. The Incandescent lamps weren't replaced with LEDs were they?
Any reputable shop with a capable diagnostic scanner capable of programming should be able to take care of programming a new BCM. Also, When I needed programming on a new part, my mechanic called in a Roving Tech with a GM Tech 2 tool with all updated software, He programmed my Van with the upgraded software. You may have someone nearby with the same capabilities.
I have a BCM which I bought for my 2008 Saturn Outlook. It was being programmed by a friend with a Snap-on tool, until we discovered that the BCM was not the problem, it is compatible, $50 shipped and it's yours.
I checked Rockauto, same part.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
No the interior lights were never replaced with LED.

Electbc. I would take you up on your offer for the BCM. I assume that can be programmed for my Acadia but would ther be an issue once it was programmed for the outlook?

·
Registered
230 Posts
I just found an old thread with the same problem as you . Read all of the posts, make sure you check out post 23.. Eureka

1 - 20 of 56 Posts