GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Joined your forum to post this hoping it helps some of you in the future.

My radio in my Acadia went up in smoke (power mosfet on the bottom of the board blew apart and arched against the bottom cover), I ordered a used radio (the same part number) from ebay for about $85 and it came in the mail a couple days ago. I researched how to unlock the GM radio and found several results, so I thought I was in the clear. I didn't think the radio couldn't be accessed by those directions so when nothing worked it put me in a tough situation.

I researched and found out these radios communicate with the bcm (body control module) as soon as they see power. There is an 8 pin chip on the mainboard that contains the info needed for the radio to pass the security check. The eeprom (electrically erasable programmable read-only memory) chip on the mainboard contains the vin info and other user data for the radio. Think of the eeprom chip as the key that's programmed with your vin in order to pass security. So if I could transplant my programmed eeprom chip into the new radio it should pass security and turn on.

After a bit more research I was able to identify the eeprom chip for this radio by comparing similar gm radios (all had eeproms on the top of the board). I also found videos on youtube of people taking pliers and ripping the eeprom chip out of their radio.... In most cases this clears the vin and works after a few tries but you lose preset functionality and if you are unlucky you damage the board so it doesn't work at all. So my plan was to do the transplant...

After about 50 screws disassembling both radios, desoldering both eeprom chips, soldering the programmed eeprom chip back onto the new radios board, and then reassembling the radio; I was able to reinstall it in the car and it came to life immediately.

I consider this a big middle finger to GM. The price quote for reprogramming was $114+tax at my local dealership, and $185+tax at a dealership in Florida (I talked to a GM tech online). Not to mention this radio is integrated into the bcm further by passing all the warning sounds (seatbelt/lights reminder, turn signals, parking assist, etc...) to the tweeters in the dash. Fortunately your radio can be locked and still play these sounds.

Anyway here are the pictures I took of the eeprom transplant, also a couple bonus pictures of the radio locked and the power mosfet with a big hole in it. If anyone has any questions feel free to ask.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
22,460 Posts
Welcome to the forum.
Nice post for those who want to 'tinker with their headunit.'

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
Another way some have used on the Equinox/Terrain forum is to buy a $15 to $20 programmer interconnect on Ebay, plug that device into a laptop, and download a utility to access the EEPROM.
The device just clips onto the EEPROM and info can be found on several websites where to find the embedded VIN info.
Enter in the VIN of the vehicle being swapped into and it's good to go.
So one has to be a bit savvy or at least adventurous. Quite a few have done so with no electronic experience.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts