GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need advice. Just purchased an 08 acadia. Was supposed to have a trailering package but there was some miscommunication. Unfortunately, I didn't realize it didn't have the package before signing the papers (lesson learned...) Then my dealer explains that correcting this is going to take much more that just adding the hitch and tranny cooler. I am being told that the trailer wiring and fuse box issues that existed with the 07 was not corrected. To install the trailering package will require a new fuse box, wiring, and transmission reprogramming. In other words a $400 option is now nearly $1000.

Does anyone know how GM plans to handle this? Has it been corrected?

Although I love my Acadia, I will be quite disappointed in GM for not correcting an obvious problem with the fuse box and wiring. Am I wrong for thinking that GM warranty should cover the correct fuse box and promised wiring at the bumper for the harness? How can they say that wiring for the harness is available when the fuse box doesn't support the functionality of the wiring?

·
Registered
116 Posts
That sounds like a difficult one...I'm sure the dealer could (should in this case, if it was their mistake) easily install the new UBEC (fuse box), necessary harnesses, and hitch. The larger problem might come into play with engine cooling and tranny. The Acadias ordered w/ tow package have a larger radiator and tranny cooler, and most importantly a Tow/Haul program for the tranny which is turned on and off via a switch on the dash - these last few things in my mind would be something of a nightmare - and costly - to do after the fact. I'm sure it can be done...just much easier while on the assembly line.

I bought a slightly used '07 and didn't have the tow package...part of the deal was to have a hitch and light harness installed by dealer before we bought. They installed the basic gear to haul our boat and they didn't feel it was necessary to worry about the Tow/Haul switch and larger radiator. I agreed since we really would just be hauling around town and for short distances so the full blown factory package probably wouldn't be needed anyway. The UBEC with all the right fuses and relays was installed (AND covered under warranty, so that part cost the dealer nothing) in about an hour, along with hitch and lights.

What do you plan to tow? If it's a small boat, or snowmobile trailer, etc I'm sure you'd be fine with a basic set up like I have. If you plan to pull a camper or large boat that may put you in a harder spot. Depending on what you tow would maybe help you decide which way to go...if on the light side of things, I'd definately approach the dealer about at least installing correct UBEC, hitch, and light harness.

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
In other threads that were posted there was a service bulliten and the fuse block update for the trailering is fixed as part of warranty. There should be no cost to you.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Without the factory package, the limit is 2000 pounds. With the package it's 4500 pounds.

I would be more concerned about the legal issues (not so much the technical ones). If there was ever an accident- "So you were towing a 4500 pound trailer on a vehicle designed to pull 2000 pounds????" I would think you would have a tough time with that one and a good lawyer would be all over it.

Unless the dealer can make it absolutely equivalent to the factory package, I would ensure that the 2000 pound limit is acceptable to you.

·
Registered
681 Posts
big bear craig said:
There is no difference between the two cars other than the added hitch and more cooling capacity.
And the Tow/Haul button.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank-you to everyone for your help. I just want to make it clear that it really wasn't the dealer's fault. I had ordered a vehicle, but they found a similarly equipped one that they traded for. Too make a long story short, its loaded--everything but the trailer package --and we both missed that important point.

I did see the service bulletin but it specifically says 2007 Acadia's and 2008 Enclave's. My dealer said that they were under the impression that the wiring issue was to be resolved with the 08 Acadia--but apparently it is not.

We are towing a box trailer with 4 motorcycles, estimated weight 3000-3500 pounds.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Hey guys, what is the "wiring issue" exactly so I can ask my service department if my 08 is corrected or not? The more details I have the better, I find.

·
Registered
116 Posts
On the '07's anyway, if you have the non-tow package Acadia the wiring harness is basically 'disabled'. The UBEC (fuse panel) doesn't have the fuses or contacts installed to control the necessary lighting for the trailer. The fix for this is to install a new UBEC. If you open up your hood and pop the cover off your fuse box, it will be obvious which you have on fairly quick inspection...there will be no fuses for the appropriate/corresponding circuites as they are labeled on the underside of the cover.

The next thing was the harness...the wiring from the UBEC to the right rear wheel is capable for a 7-wire plug, however, there is another shorter harness that plugs into this one and runs a few feet further to the hitch. This harness is only set up for 4-wire pigtail that would plug into a trailer. Replacing the UBEC to the right one will activate this harness and you'll be fine if all you need is a basic 4-wire. My boat trailer has electronic brake release, so I need to replace the shorter harness that runs along the rear bumpber with the 7-wire part and I'm good to go. Hope this all made sense. ???

1 - 10 of 10 Posts