GMC Acadia Forum banner

2008 - RATTLIING/ TICKING/ KNOCKING NOISE FROM TOP OF ENGINE

5K views 8 replies 3 participants last post by  melissasmith202012 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Where to even begin? Jesus take the wheel! History of my life.....i only bought this car because i only had so many days to get car because i was in a wreck not my fault with a employee from clemson university in a ford f 350 12 passenger van, i had a 2013 hyundai sonata $17,000 car, had wreck sept 19 2019 would have been paid off oct 31 2019 owed only $545 on it very nice car and no problems at all. His ins gave me $6,000 for car and $3,000 for my injuries had to hire lawyer so basically nothing. long story short thats how i ended up with this piece of ****. 2008 gmc acadia SLE v6 3.6L it has about 185,000 miles on it. Somebody please help with this any suggestions are greatly appreciated! EXCEPT FOR THOSE THAT ARE GOING TO SAY JUNK IT, SALE IT OR TRADE IT IN BECAUSE I HAVE PUT TO MUCH TIME, SWEAT, LABOR, AND BLOOD INTO THIS THING JUST TO TRADE IT IN, OR SALE IT, OR JUNK IT SO IF THATS YOUR SUGGESTION PLEASE KEEP YOUR INPUT TO YOURSELF THANKS!

So car was running as normal then one day started it up and there was a medium volume rattle/tick/or knock coming from the engine so the search begin it had 1 code on it at the point i read the code which p0014 looked up everything possible to fix that code and the noise did everything and now the car doesnt have any codes or lights or messages at all but noise is still present. this is everything that has been done to the car. 4 new cam shaft sensors, 4 new vvt solenoids, new oil pump pressure sensor, 6 new iridium spark plugs, new air filter, new carquest oil filter, new mobil1 truck and suv 5w 30 oil, 2 new cv axles, 2 new ball joints on front, 2 new lower control arm bushings on front, 2 new sway bars, 2 new stabilizer bars, 2 new motor mounts, new transmission mount, new pcv valve and pcv tube, 2 new outer tie rods on front, 2 new inner tie rods on front, new oil drain plug,1 new rotor, new transmission drain plug, new wiper fluid, new coolant, new radiator cap, 2 new heater hoses top and bottom, new thermostat, new water pump, new idler pulley, new battery,4 new wheel hub assemblies, all new fuses, new headlights, 4 new tires, balanced and aligned, drained out 7 quarts of transmission fluid and then added 7 quarts because some say flush it some say dont so i went for in between and only done some of it. All fluid levels are all full. And yes i have used gas and oil treatments to get carbon build up out as well as cleaned air box and intake.

I have always changed oil on time and even had 38% oil life left when noise started but still changed oil and filter to see if it would fix the problem but it didnt so did everything above and still have a noise but no lights no codes no nothing. i did notice a lil bit of rough idle right before noise started and rpms up and down at idle but nothing drastic so now i have removed spark plugs throttle body, air filter box, and covers down to what u see in pictures below but dont know what to do next. Chain has no slack in it at all, springs look fine, rocker arms look fine, lifters look fine, oil is obviously present but i thought maybe wasnt getting enough oil even tho no low pressure light or code thats why i changed out sensors but still nothing. The noise sounds like it is coming from the passenger side of the top of engine where the timing chain would be which is what lead to idler pulley, and water pump but the chain no slack in it at all. Spark plugs in pic were just replaced not even 2 mos ago but look horrible to me. PLEASE HELP ME BEFORE I RUN IT INTO THE OCEAN!

See less See more
#4 ·
Welcome to the forum.
Hope you get the help you're seeking.

#5 ·
Not sure what kind of help they are seeking. They have most likely already put more money into it than the vehicle is worth. I would be looking to dispose of it.

Cam lobes look pretty worn. I suspect it has not always been meticulously maintained.

If those plugs are truly 2 months old, it looks like oil is being introduced into the combustion chamber. My first guess would be excess carbon built up on the valves and valve seats along with worn valve seals. If bad enough, it takes more than a couple bottles of Techron to resolve the issue.

If for some reason I had the urge to keep the vehicle, my next step would be to run a borescope down the spark plug holes to get an idea of the condition of the valves.

#9 ·
😂😂😂😂😂 i hope not....i think i actually may have found a cure. Im thinking hoping 🙏 that the cv axleor axles are not seated properly or the axle nut isnt tightened to torque specs considering this noise didnt occur until like a day or 2 after the axles were changed that is the only thing besides the motor mount that was different from when it wasnt making the noise, (these i didnt do myself a relative did! (Note to self: If you want it done right the first time do it yourself!) I will update in a day or 2 if this fixed my problem. Thank you for the suggestions and help..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.