GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are getting ready for a 2-week road trip from Florida to Missouri.
Since we have 3 little ones (6 years old and under), I really wanted to free up some space in the 3rd row and in the cargo area behind it.
We purchased the Thule 684 Terrapin from AutoAnything. (see pics below) It appears to be an ideal solution to packing for our extended trip.
Benefits: It is hitch mounted, so it is easy to get things in and out of. It also swings away from the rear hatch so it can be opened completely. It adds about 13 cu feet of space and can hold up to 165 pounds worth of stuff.

Our second purchase was an 11.2" overhead DVD player from Power Acoustik. It looks good and solid with lots of great features. We especially like the options to play videos from USB thumb drives or SD cards. The video quality seems pretty good, but this is the first one we have had in a car. I don't know how 'crisp' the picture is supposed to be on these things.

I'll post back in a couple weeks after our trip to let everyone know how everything worked.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts
It looks like you have powered lights on the box? I like that

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts
jsimms said:
It looks like you have powered lights on the box? I like that
I am guessing that is a requirement. Probably don't see the brake lights when the box is on there.

I Noticed you had to move the license plate.

Looks pretty nice. Let us know how it does on the roadtrip as far as bouncing, noise, and water intrusion.

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts
bonk1313 said:
I am guessing that is a requirement. Probably don't see the brake lights when the box is on there.

I Noticed you had to move the license plate.

Looks pretty nice. Let us know how it does on the roadtrip as far as bouncing, noise, and water intrusion.
Now that you mention it; the box does seem to be as wide as the vehicle; I too would be interested in water intrusion should encounter some of Mother Nature

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, after nearly two weeks, 3200 miles, and 11 states we are back.
It was a wonderful trip with the family and the Acadia performed wonderfully with no problems. Our 3 kids each had enough room to keep a box of 'goodies' next to them and we had plenty of cargo space thanks to the cargo box and some 'creative' packing.

The Thule Cargo Box worked perfectly. We went through multiple rain storms and yet all of our belongings stayed perfectly dry. The box does not make any noise on the road and you actually might even forget it's there. I really liked how easy it was to get things in and out of it at night at the hotels. The arm is easy to unlock and extend so the hatch back can be lifted. You do have to be careful when entering or leaving steep driveways, roads, etc. as the box extends from the back a couple of feet (I had a few minor scrapes, but no damage). Overall, I am really impressed with it.

We had more than one person come up to us during our trip and ask about the box (and bemoaning the fact they didn't have side steps). We plan on using it now on all our weekend trips as well.

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
bonk1313 said:
Looks good. We used to have a hitch haul platform on our '96 Isuzu SUV. I remember strapping down plastic bins on it. Your setup is really nice.

Here in FL it would be considered a "load on the vehicle" since even though connected to the trailer hitch it is not on wheels. I'll look up the statute, but off the top of my head I think you have 48" of load extension before lamps (night only) or a flag (day only) are required...

I guess some things you never forget...

316.228 Lamps or flags on projecting load.--

(1) Except as provided in subsection (2), whenever the load upon any vehicle extends to the rear 4 feet or more beyond the bed or body of such vehicle, there shall be displayed at the extreme rear end of the load, at the times specified in s. 316.217, two red lamps visible from a distance of at least 500 feet to the rear, two red reflectors visible at night from all distances within 600 feet to 100 feet to the rear when directly in front of lawful lower beams of headlamps and located so as to indicate maximum width, and on each side one red lamp visible from a distance of at least 500 feet to the side and located so as to indicate maximum overhang. There shall be displayed at all other times on any vehicle having a load which extends beyond its sides or more than 4 feet beyond its rear, red flags, not less than 12 inches square, marking the extremities of such load, at each point where a lamp would otherwise be required by this section.

Paragraph (2) deals with commercial motor vehicles and trailers with logs, and 316.217 is when you have have your lights on.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Re: 2008 Acadia with Thule 684 Terrapin Cargo Box and Power Acoustik PMD-112CM D

Dave, Hows the viewing on that DVD player? If you sit in the second row does it feel like the screen is too close to you? I see you mounted it in the dome light location, did you center it over that hole? Was there room to move the unit more forward? When I sat in the second row of our acadia I just felt like the dome light location was way too close the second row viewers to be mounted there and needed to be mounted closer to the front of the vehicle.

Please let me know your thoughts.
Thanks,
Derek

1 - 7 of 7 Posts