GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was given a 2008 Acadia SLT AWD from an older family member who bought it new and babied for 12 years. The car is immaculate. I had a full diagnostics done and it only needs tires. So my question is whether I should expect anything related to suspension, engine or drive train issues to pop up. It’s been maintained regularly by a reputable family dealership in the chicago area. My plans are to use the car for a weekend fishing and all around general ‘mule car’. Might take it on an occasional road trip to Montana as well. Thanks for any input.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Have maintenance records?
Can't say much without that. Timing chain been replaced?

·
Super Moderator
19,657 Posts
You're into a vehicle with 102K miles on it. It's foolish to think nothing in the suspension will be near wearing out after driving that far on our wonderful roads. As far as engine and drive train go, some folks have had no issues with them in >200K miles - others haven't been so lucky. A lot will depend upon how well you take care of it. Good luck and welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
2,341 Posts
Have maintenance records?
Can't say much without that. Timing chain been replaced?
+1, without knowing the maintenance history and what has been replaced over the years, hard to say what to expect on a 12 year old vehicle with 100k miles.

Timing chains, wave plates, steering components and electrical connection corrosion from water intrusion all immediately come to mind as potential issues.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have full maintenance records. Oil changed every 5k. No major repairs including no timing chain replacement. Been garaged every night and never taken off road so the opportunity for moisture/snow has been minimal. The only thing wrong that I can find is a low-speed clunking type of rattle somewhere in the front suspension. I am thinking it needs new control arms and/or bushings? I had a 2011 traverse that had to have several ignition coils replaced around 100k and was trying to see if this is a common issue or was my experience a one off. I am hesitant to change out the spark plugs due to the fact that that’s what caused the problem in my traverse. At the time the mechanic said that was a common issue after changing plugs out. Anyway, good to be part of the forum. Ran into a few of you on the Outback forum as we also have several subies in our family.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts