GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm picking up my new/demo 5,900 mile sle1 Acadia up Tue 5/6/08.

I noticed that the exhaust is all rusty and ugly, should I get this taken care of before pickup, or will warranty cover me?

·
Registered
380 Posts
Hey we are back to the beginning of the forum on this one, thought all the rusty ones had been sold :confused: GM has a special owners polishing kit TSB for those unhappy with rusty exhaust systems, just kidding of coarse. :sosad:
All Acadias rust, GM refused in general to accept these was a problem, there is a TSB on it that basically says tough-o you bought it you own it. If you have not taken possession tell them to correct it an bill GM, after taking possession it is all yours, good luck!

·
Registered
812 Posts
jrc50 said:
Hey we are back to the beginning of the forum on this one, thought all the rusty ones had been sold :confused: GM has a special owners polishing kit TSB for those unhappy with rusty exhaust systems, just kidding of coarse. :sosad:
All Acadias rust, GM refused in general to accept these was a problem, there is a TSB on it that basically says tough-o you bought it you own it. If you have not taken possession tell them to correct it an bill GM, after taking possession it is all yours, good luck!
after reading all the post, how come other Acadias "rusted" exhaust were replaced? ??? is it for the dealer to decide? ???

im kinda annoyed as mine shows "rust" the whole lenght of the exhaust system from the cat conv and just end right before the rear muffler. You can see it by just standing on the right side of the vehicle.... :eek:hno:

·
Registered
28 Posts
Are they using Asian steel? Some of the steel out of China and Korea can be really crappy stuff, although in the past couple of years it seems to have been getting better.

Regardless of the metal's origin, with so many affordable alloys and coatings to choose from, you'd think GM would have picked something a skosh classier.

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
This is just my opinion. I don't think the rusting exhaust is a "problem". OK, it may be something that we need to take our car in to have replace, and that would be a "pain", but I am 100% sure that GM will make it right. It could be that it is rust, and if so, it will be fixed. It also could be that it is some type of discoloring that will not be a problem. Mine is discolored (or rusted) the length of the pipe. I am going to watch it for another year or so. If it is not making loud noises, I am not going to worry about it for now. After a year or so, it will become more clear if it is a problem, and if it is, GM will fix it. We have a good warranty, and I am sure GM will make sure there are not tons of Acadias with rusty pipes on the road.

·
Registered
752 Posts
Going back to one of my original posts with pictures (which I am not gonna take the time to look up), the "rust" can be easily removed with chrome polish. I used "mothers". Well maybe I shouldn't say easy since ya gotta lay on your back, but it doesn't take much force.
I eventually went to stainless steel mufflers which eliminated the problem completely.

·
Registered
234 Posts
What model name/number did you use for the aftermarket mufflers?

·
Registered
403 Posts
As long as you keep the four "tips" shiny, that's all that matters to me. ::)

·
Premium Member
3,212 Posts
Cravenfan said:
That's all I really try to keep clean as well.

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
Cravenfan said:
What do you use to keep the tips clean??

·
Registered
812 Posts
GAR said:
Cravenfan said:
What do you use to keep the tips clean??
try using Mothers chrome polish... works fine for me!!! :thumb:

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
Thanks SioXie!!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts