GMC Acadia Forum banner

2008 Acadia running great, OBD2 codes P0014 and P0017

10K views 11 replies 4 participants last post by  divotdug 
#1 ·
2008 Acadia original owner.
3.6L V6 engine, LY7 engine, VVT on 4 cams, 275 HP
Lots of very mellow 2 mile commute/store drives. Not much (2-3 per year) short drives with throttle down and RPMs up.
82,000 miles. Conventional oil changed by oil life indicator or 1 year, so about every 6,000-8,000 miles. Oil usually checked between & before oil changes, rarely needed, I don't believe it has ever been a full quart down.

Had occasional CEL becoming more regular, then constante after about a year (accompanied by Traction Control/Stabilitrak message). But running great, MPGs same, so easy to ignore. Followed some random posts about Stabilitrak. Checked fuses. Went to clean Intake/Mass Air Flow Sensor, but found it clean enough to eat from. Did find poorly connected crankcase breather tube, I think that cured Stabilitrak message (mostly).
Got my own scanner. Code P0014 and often P0017 with it. If cleared, would come back, 0-3 days.
Checked all harness connections to cam sensors and solenoids.

Code P0014 = Camshaft Position “B” - Timing Over-Advanced or System Performance (Bank 1)
I changed that sensor and solenoid. The solenoid was covered with a dry brown color. I wouldn't describe as sludge or a film, looked like it had been in a meat smoker for an hour. I had seen signs of sludge in the engine. No changes in codes. I bought Crankshaft Sensor, but dot think I can get to it without a lift.

The previous oil change was about 1,000 miles prior.
I removed a quart of oil, and added a quart of Diesel, for a flush. Drove around the block and changed oil and filter. I used 5W-30 Synthetic, also added Seafoam with new oil.

About 1 month and 500 miles later. I think the P0014 has come on twice. I'm checking and clearing the codes almost daily. Stabilitrak message come on for one drive.
The Code P0017 comes on 95% of the time, 3-20 seconds after starting the engine, usually the RPMs will dip 100 RPMs and instantly recover at the exact same time. It doesn't seem to matter, cold engine, hot engine, 30˚ weather, 60˚ weather, long time sitting, short time sitting. Then if doesn't come on, or if I clear the code, it will not come on during the drive. Light to very hard acceleration, deceleration by downshifts, 50 miles on freeway, manually putting in a high gear and lugging it down on a hill. And it's running great through all of this, good power, no noises, and just purrs at idle.

My plan is to do 1-2 more 1000 mile oil changes (and wish hard). I have trouble believing a real timing issue wouldn't be triggered by some driving condition.
Any thoughts shared will be greatly appreciated.

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Was this campaign performed on your vehicle?

#10287B: Customer Satisfaction - Premature Timing Chain Wear-Reprogram Engine Control Module - (Feb 8, 2011)
Vehicle eligibility to be confirmed through GMVIS. This Campaign is in effect through May 31, 2012.

The procedure reset the OLM system, shortening the oil change interval, along with opening programmed tolerances on the valve timing system which produce the codes you describe above. If you had it done and the codes return as frequently as descibed, you have a decision to make whether or not to replace the timing chains and guides. Mileage on the vehicle suggests it's time to do it if you plan to keep your Acadia, even if the campaign was not performed.

#3 ·
Was this campaign performed on your vehicle?

#10287B: Customer Satisfaction - Premature Timing Chain Wear-Reprogram Engine Control Module - (Feb 8, 2011)
Vehicle eligibility to be confirmed through GMVIS. This Campaign is in effect through May 31, 2012.

The procedure reset the OLM system, shortening the oil change interval, along with opening programmed tolerances on the valve timing system...
The reprogramming was not done.
CSP #10287C (which updated/replaced #10287A & #10287B) included the following vehicles:
2009 Buick Enclave
2007-2009 Cadillac CTS, SRX, STS
2009 Chevrolet Traverse
2007 GMC Acadia
2009 GMC Acadia
2007 Saturn OUTLOOK
2009 Saturn OUTLOOK
Equipped with HFV6 Engine

The Special Coverage Adjustment 11340C, which extended warranty for timing chain wear to 10 years/120,000 miles, is the exact same list of vehicles.
Any idea why the 2008 Acadias and Outlooks would not have been included?

#4 ·
...I have trouble believing a real timing issue wouldn't be triggered by some driving condition.
Any thoughts shared will be greatly appreciated.
Another 1000 miles and another oil change = no change in symptoms.

I do understand now that a timing chain replacement is just part of maintenance with these vehicles. If not done now it will be needed at some point. Extending it for 30k, 20k, or even 10k would give us several years.

Again, I don't understand how "a real timing issue wouldn't be triggered by some driving condition."

#5 ·
Have you found a solution? I have a 2007 Saturn Aura with the same 3.6 LY7 from these cars that we all know and love. I'm having the exact same problem as you and your post is the only one i can find that is my exact problem. I got the p0017 code sporadically a few months ago then never came back. then slowly p0017 and p0014 started showing up more frequently and are an everyday occurance now but the car runs fine and the chains are not stretched. I did the valve cover gaskets and checked both chains. i have replaced the timing chain actuators on both banks as well as both cam position sensors. My faults also occur in the same scenarios as yours, light and hard acceleration on the freeway and when it downshifts and holds a lower gear on the freeway. If you had it fixed or have any insight i would LOVE to know. Thanks.

#7 ·
I now have had the timing chains replaced.

My faults also occur in the same scenarios as yours, light and hard acceleration on the freeway and when it downshifts and holds a lower gear on the freeway.
My P0017 would NOT come on during driving, only immediately after start-up
Then if doesn't come on, or if I clear the code, it will not come on during the drive. Light to very hard acceleration, deceleration by downshifts, 50 miles on freeway, manually putting in a high gear and lugging it down on a hill. And it's running great through all of this, good power, no noises, and just purrs at idle.
...... I have trouble believing a real timing issue wouldn't be triggered by some driving condition.
Sorry if that part of my post wasn't clear, I should have written:
Then if doesn't come on, or if I clear the code, IT WILL NOT come on during the drive, EVEN IF I TRY. Including situations like light to very hard acceleration, deceleration by downshifts, 50 miles on freeway, manually putting in a high gear and intentionally lugging it down on a hill. I've tried to do whatever I can think of that would call for timing adjustment and the P0017 does not come on except immediately after start-up.

That was the part that was really making it hard for me to believe that there could be "A REAL" timing issue.
Part of what helped me get over that was that someone with 20+ years of experience as a service tech told me that the "test" to determine if the P0017 will come on is only done right after start-up, not during driving.
I would like to have confirmation of that. (Speleos, any thoughts?)
Also, macsonme, if you can, please reply and let us know if you are getting P0017 during drive, or if that is only the P0014.

#9 ·
If your vehicle has no issues with performance, noise, and no oil leaks, you could try to find a shop that would be willing to perform the reprogramming that was a part of the (now expired) CSP #10287C.
It does nothing to help, other than making CEL/codes not show until the condition is worse.

I was told that GM service facilities would not do it, even if I was willing to pay.

#10 · (Edited by Moderator)
The car has 212,000 miles on it. I know what you are thinking. It MUST be the timing chains! it has been doing this over the last 4 months and i have put over 18,000 miles on it with it doing this. I feel like it is a wiring issue but i just cant figure it out. It did leak oil but doesn't now. It also did accumulate a considerable amount of oil in the intake tube but it has done that for almost the entire time i have owned this car ( started about a month after buying the car ). It throws the p0017 code at startup sometimes and will at least once a day throw p0014 on the freeway or driving. It has had oil changes with good oil frequently. I have always changed it around 3000-5000 miles and i have always checked the oil and added. I will admit it has run very low 3 times since it started burning but i dont beat on the car or accelerate aggressively very often at all. The timing chain doesn't make any sounds or clacking, runs very well even at idle, and there is absolutely no sludge whatsoever. I have looked when repairing things such as the valve cover as i said before. Even the VVT actuators I replaced looked good. One thing is the when I replaced the cam position sensors I bought orielly ones and not acdelco ones from the dealer. But the one i replaced on bank 2 has not given me any issues. The main thing im really stuck on is a wiring issue.

#11 · (Edited by Moderator)
Also, I will add when it ran low those 3 times it was not very long, as I have a sense and I can tell when this car runs low. I have driven the car 45,000 miles in 1 year. I bought the car on July 4th 2019. I have done almost $4500 in repairs to this car myself. from suspension components to sensors and interior trim pieces. I don't know anyone who maintains and cares for a car with this many miles and problems. But I do it anyways and love to drive the thing and rack up miles on it and it makes me happy to just fix anything I can on this car. I think im just a sucker for getting complements on the car being so nice for the miles it has. Nothing feels better to me than driving a 200k mile car that feels like a brand new car with brand new part under it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.