GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last fall I purchased a used 2008 Acadia AWD. Currently it has 43000 miles. Within the last few days I have been experiencing the following problems:

1. When vehicle is slowly moving in reverse, the Acadia jerks, almost like the brakes are being pumped slightly.

2. While accelerating at normal speed, vehicle makes a hard shift at about 20-25 mph. RPMs seem to be a little higher than normal before the shift as well.

I know that the 2008 Acadia is prone to transmission problems. I'm just curious as if what I am experiencing is a normal sign of transmission failure. I'm hoping that other forum members who have had transmission problems might let me know what were their first signs that something was going wrong, and what the dealer did to correct the problem.

Also, would any transmission repair be covered under the powertrain warranty? The basic warranty for this vehicle is over.

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
6,233 Posts
You're covered on the trans for any related failure. Get into the dealer and have it checked.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Those symptoms are almost exactly what I experienced in my wife's AWD Enclave about 4 days before the 3-5-R waveplate in the transmission broke. I would take it on in. And, yes, the 5 year 100,000 mile powertrain warranty covers engine AND transmission. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
You need to arrange a Monday morning appointment... before you end up walking.

·
Premium Member
2,618 Posts
@jetman56, I would have to agree with the others that have posted in reply to your concern; get the vehicle into the dealership to be diagnosed.

According to the information available to me, the transmission which includes the case and all internal parts, torque converter, vacuum modulator, seals and gaskets and transmission mounts, also transfer case and all internal parts, seals and gaskets should be covered if found to be defective under the new vehicle Powertrain warranty. You will want to contact your local GMC dealership for more details about your Acadia's warranty.

Michelle, GMC Customer Service

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks all for the helpful advice; too bad I was foolish enough not to take any of it. I had somehow convinced myself that the changes in the transmission were very subtle and maybe even a figment of my imagination. However, yesterday, while driving home on the expressway from a 75 mile trip, the transmission would suddenly go into into neutral and the RPMs would jump to 6000 until I let off the gas and then the vehicle would kick into gear again. About a mile from my house, the transmission warning light went on and the vehicle would not go past 3rd gear. Fortunately I limped home. It was then I discovered that the Acadia would not shift into reverse (the gearshift lever worked fine, but the vehicle stayed in neutral). AAA towed the vehicle to my GMC dealer, where it now sits awaiting service on Monday.

The only bright spots are that I did make it home safely, and the tow job and the repair are (likely) not costing me anything. But still, I'm just sayin' that I really should've listened to you guys...

·
Registered
2,717 Posts
jetman56 said:
Thanks all for the helpful advice; too bad I was foolish enough not to take any of it. I had somehow convinced myself that the changes in the transmission were very subtle and maybe even a figment of my imagination. However, yesterday, while driving home on the expressway from a 75 mile trip, the transmission would suddenly go into into neutral and the RPMs would jump to 6000 until I let off the gas and then the vehicle would kick into gear again. About a mile from my house, the transmission warning light went on and the vehicle would not go past 3rd gear. Fortunately I limped home. It was then I discovered that the Acadia would not shift into reverse (the gearshift lever worked fine, but the vehicle stayed in neutral). AAA towed the vehicle to my GMC dealer, where it now sits awaiting service on Monday.

The only bright spots are that I did make it home safely, and the tow job and the repair are (likely) not costing me anything. But still, I'm just sayin' that I really should've listened to you guys...
Cars, any car, NEVER heal themselves....

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ccaats said:
Those symptoms are almost exactly what I experienced in my wife's AWD Enclave about 4 days before the 3-5-R waveplate in the transmission broke. I would take it on in. And, yes, the 5 year 100,000 mile powertrain warranty covers engine AND transmission. Good luck.
That's exactly what happened with my Acadia - broken waveplate. I'm kind of surprised that the dealership rebuilt the existing transmission in-house, instead of just putting in a replacement. The repair was covered under the powertrain warranty. Good thing, too. The service advisor told me that parts and labor would've cost me about $2500 otherwise.

While the vehicle was in the shop they also replaced the front stabilizer links, which were causing a clunking sound when going over bumps at slower speeds. Seems to be a common problem with Acadias over 40000 miles. Cost me $150 and now the Acadia rides like new.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.