GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, Looking to get an Acadia and do not really care if it is a 2007 or 2008. My one concern is even tho both could be bought give or take a month of each other, one will have one more year of deprecation.

Any thoughts

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
How long to you plan to keep the vehicle? If you're planning to trade it within 3-4 years, I'd get an '08. If you're like me and tend to keep your cars 10 years, then it isn't going to make much difference.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I'm going with an 08'. The day you sign the papers on the 07' you're in a one year old car that has lost nearly 20% of it's value. Like Loach said, if you are planning to keep it for many years and you can get a good (invoice or below) price on an 07' then go for it.

·
Registered
123 Posts
when are the 08's expected to hit the showroom floor.

·
Registered
246 Posts
My dealer said August, which is usually when the new models show up here. Dunno if the new models
show up in the US earlier or not.

·
Registered
155 Posts
ANyone seen any used prices on Acadias yet? I've checked Edmunds, KBB, and NADA with no luck; however, I have seen a few on the lots for sale with low mileage. Just curious about how the Acadia will fare, depreciation-wise anyway....

·
Registered
125 Posts
I wish I could find it again, may have been on edmunds or nada... but the expected 1st year depreciation on the acadia was $14,000 and for the enclave it was $12,000 (the 2 we were debating)... But the used searches I've done are showing prices about $1000 under retail and in a couple of cases they were HIGHER than MSRP on a new on with the exact same features. I was shocked but couldn't get the dealer to budge...

used prices are not looking to be real cheap for another 18-24 months I'm thinking...

Heather

·
Registered
122 Posts
$14,000 depreciation in one year? That doesn't seem right to me. I realize the value drops as soon as you drive it off the lot but that sure seems like alot.

·
Registered
681 Posts
I to think that $14,000 is very high, not sure how thye calculatethe first year. I went with the GMAC Smart Buy program on the Acadia (very similar to a lease - after 4 years with 48,000 miles they are saying the residual would be 0.587%, that is almost a 60% residual value(it should be worth 60% of the original MSRP). That would come to an average of 10% depreciation each year, although I know the 1st year is probably higher and then gets reduced for each year after.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Well if these vehicles stand up over time and prove themselves to be a reliable worthy vehicle (like some others that have been around ::)) then I think the depreciation should be much less. I'm really keeping my fingers crossed on this one. I like to upgrade vehicles every 2-3 years or so and it would be great if these held a high and consistent resale value.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Well, I know i am bringing this from the past... but... bringing a good point.... i am about to jump on the smart buy program.... i like the fact that i can get low monthly payments for now...

Anyway... it says that after 4 years the car will have a residual value of a bit under 19k... that's a 52% depreaciation in 4 years... or am i not understanding something correctly??

this is on a $36.5k Acadia and a $7k down payment with a trade in.

I guess my question is.. if these trucks endup begin as good as they look... then the resale value at the end of the 4 years would be better than $19k... right?

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
To do a quick comparison, for the 2007, according to edmunds.com

The current base Invoice Price is 28,088. (You could buy it as low as invoice depending on the dealer)

The current Base Private Party price with a 2007 that has 0 miles on it is 25,447

It seems to me that if you paid flat invoice for the car plus tax and title, then you immediately turned around and sold it, depending on your taxes you would loose about $4000.

I suspect that this would be very close to the same amount lost if you buy a 2008 and then try to sell it used.

This was just my guesses and opinions. :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts