GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a creaking noise coming from under the hood now that they have removed, fixed and returned my engine to my Acadia. Something is obviously loose.

While investigating, we discovered that the mechanic broke the plastic shroud that goes along the front of the engine compartment. I plan to have them replace that. They hot glued it back together and didn't bother telling me about it. They also left out a couple plastic pop-rivets that they broke so the shroud isn't even held down completely. Quick question, can someone with a 2007 look under their hood and tell me if anything is attached to those two silver screw holes front and center on the shroud? Picture attached.

I plan to bring it in tomorrow morning as I'm not sure that it's safe to continue driving with whatever is creaking under the hood and I just want to make sure I have everything else pointed out for them as well. They also failed to connect a bracket to something in the lower right hand front of the engine. Not sure what it is.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts
I have the same thing; I think we determined this is where the brake booster goes for later year models; nothing is missing from yours. Too bad they threw the shrouds back together and broke things. How does the engine run now? Double maintenance :sosad:

·
Premium Member
2,577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
jsimms said:
I have the same thing; I think we determined this is where the brake booster goes for later year models; nothing is missing from yours. Too bad they threw the shrouds back together and broke things. How does the engine run now? Double maintenance :sosad:
It's running and gets me from point A to B.

The power steering is whining and I can't see where you put more fluid in. I have to do more research on that or just ask them to overfill it tomorrow while they are trying to find out what is causing that creak.

I can sit in my driveway, put the car in reverse - it creaks. Move it through neutral to drive - it creaks. Put it back in reverse and creaks some more. Something is obviously loose. It also creaks while I'm driving it as I step on the gas and let off the gas. We weren't able to pinpoint what it was by looking under the hood while doing the driveway test above.

It's hard to believe that a certified GM mechanic did such a shoddy job of working on my Acadia. I'm very disappointed. But I feared as much when they said they were taking the engine out, so it's not necessarily a surprise.

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts
I would suspect that was their first Acadia engine remove and install; not to make excuses ;). Almost sounds like a trans moving or maybe the engine is shifting on the mounts. I hope they straighten it out for you

·
Premium Member
2,577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
jsimms said:
I would suspect that was their first Acadia engine remove and install; not to make excuses ;). Almost sounds like a trans moving or maybe the engine is shifting on the mounts. I hope they straighten it out for you
It wasn't. My service adviser admitted that he's seen those timing chains go at as little as 7,000 miles. It's a job they've done before. And there's absolutely no excuse for breaking parts on my car, even if it is a freakin' engine compartment shroud, gluing it back together and not telling me about it. :angryfire: Really. What else might they have broken that I can't see without taking stuff apart??

Flynn said there's a bracket on the left side of the engine that moves forward and back about a half inch when I shifted the trans through R to D and back. That's the side the noise is coming from, so that's where I plan to have them start looking.

Oh well. It's not like I didn't already foresee that my Acadia was going to have issues after they did this job. :sosad:

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts
I see; so they intentionally put things back together in a hurry, broke stuff etc; all the while knowing the process to get it all back together :eek:hno: Make sure they know who they are dealing with and you have the backing of 9K members 8)

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
Wow- they sure didn't treat your royal coach very well. Shortcuts and "bailing wire & bubble gum" repairs at a dealer. :(

It all comes down to who is holding the wrench. We lost an owner/member to Acura today due to reported poor dealer service and parts support. Like you, they really liked the Acadia, but due to poor service at the dealer, they dumped it at a loss and picked up an MDX. This could really be a vicious circle for GM now that they bankruptcy decision has been made.

(Just used the new search to find a post & link it here- coolness :thumb:)

The way things are going I should be able to buy a 2007 model fairly cheap soon for that Gen 4 V8 project.

·
Premium Member
2,577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I dropped it off this morning. They looked at me a little ****-eyed when I tried to explain what was going on. The mechanic who did the work actually came out to talk to me. I explained the creaking noise and where I thought I was hearing it from. He said it's normal for the engine to shift forward and back a little since it is rubber-mounted or something to that effect. In retrospect, I actually think I already knew that... but anyway. So then he goes on to say that it could be the strut mount and that there's a bulletin out on it. I questioned why the noise would have suddenly appeared after having the engine work done to which he didn't have an answer. And even though I can re-create the noise in my driveway shifting from R to D and back, he still said it could be the strut mount. *sigh* I really don't think it is. But whatever. I told him to just find what is causing the noise and fix it because the noise was NOT there before. I also pointed out that he broke the plastic cover.

Before I left with the lovely HHR that Hertz gave me, I saw the mechanic driving my Acadia around the parking lot undoubtedly trying to re-create the noise I described. :sosad:

Update: My cell phone just rang and it was the dealership. All fixed, I'm told. Loose engine mount. Really need to crank the heck out of those things to tighten them I'm told. ::) And they replaced the plastic cover that they broke. I hope for their sake that it's really fixed this time and that it's the last problem that I have from this engine removal.

·
Super Moderator
21,753 Posts
Web Raven said:
All fixed, .... Loose engine mount. Really need to crank the heck out of those things .....
:blahblah: and :bs: The guy probably just didn't tighten it correctly in the first place. Sometimes torque specs on critical fasteners escape the minds of those techs who try continually to beat 'flat rate' or warranty time. I hope he didn't get to 'flag' any additional time for his screwup (or lack thereof :eek:).

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
Glad to hear you will be back on the road soon. You're also probably suffering from post-Vibe lack of cuteness syndrome that was aggravated by that HHR. :D

At least he put the fastener back in:

Motor mount problems at a dealer?

I picked up a F**d once from the dealer that had the short block replaced. It felt odd (loose) while driving & at idle. I opened the hood & saw daylight where at least one of the motor mount bolts was supposed to be! The tech had left it off and the motor was moving when the car accelerated.
<Gratuitous F**d cheap shot>
Fortunately, it wasn't a Chevy V8, so the power output was so low there was no damage.

·
Premium Member
2,577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
While the HHR makes me question what Chevy was thinking when they designed it, it did drive a lot nicer than the Vibe did despite the Vibe's super cuteness vs. the HHR's extreme ugliness. :)

Picked my Acadia up. No more creaking under the hood. Good to know the engine is staying in place where it was intended. ;D Strut mount bulletin my patoot. :-X

They replaced the plastic shroud. It's not the same as the one that came off my Acadia. Perhaps it's from an '08 or '09? Either way, does not matter. It's fixed and looks good. I find it odd that they had one in stock. I have a feeling that they snaked it off one on the lot or something and then ordered the part for that one... They didn't hook that bracket back up to anything. It looks like it's a steel line coming out of the transmission or something, with a little bracket on it that should probably be hooked up to something, but I don't think it's necessarily going to hurt it if it's not. And quite frankly, I'm tired of bringing my Acadia back to the dealership.

Now I just need to tackle the power steering whine. I searched under the hood again yesterday and can find the spot to re-fill all fluids except for the freakin' power steering fluid. I'm going to make time today to look that up on the net. But I'm guessing that if it's not something easily visible, it's probably not something easily filled either. :-\

·
Super Moderator
21,753 Posts
Web Raven said:
......despite the Vibe's super cuteness vs. the HHR's extreme ugliness. :)
The Vibe is still a Matrix in disguise! The HHR is Chevy's attempt at 'retro' styling.

·
Registered
6,233 Posts
Web Raven said:
While the HHR makes me question what Chevy was thinking when they designed it, it did drive a lot nicer than the Vibe did despite the Vibe's super cuteness vs. the HHR's extreme ugliness. :)

Picked my Acadia up. No more creaking under the hood. Good to know the engine is staying in place where it was intended. ;D Strut mount bulletin my patoot. :-X

They replaced the plastic shroud. It's not the same as the one that came off my Acadia. Perhaps it's from an '08 or '09? Either way, does not matter. It's fixed and looks good. I find it odd that they had one in stock. I have a feeling that they snaked it off one on the lot or something and then ordered the part for that one... They didn't hook that bracket back up to anything. It looks like it's a steel line coming out of the transmission or something, with a little bracket on it that should probably be hooked up to something, but I don't think it's necessarily going to hurt it if it's not. And quite frankly, I'm tired of bringing my Acadia back to the dealership.

Now I just need to tackle the power steering whine. I searched under the hood again yesterday and can find the spot to re-fill all fluids except for the freakin' power steering fluid. I'm going to make time today to look that up on the net. But I'm guessing that if it's not something easily visible, it's probably not something easily filled either. :-\
They've had a habit for years now of really hiding the power steering reservoir. Be prepared once you find it with a very long funnel.

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts
Web Raven said:

Now I just need to tackle the power steering whine. I searched under the hood again yesterday and can find the spot to re-fill all fluids except for the freakin' power steering fluid.[/color] I'm going to make time today to look that up on the net. But I'm guessing that if it's not something easily visible, it's probably not something easily filled either. :-\
Driver's side, look straight down and you should see it

·
Premium Member
2,577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
jsimms said:
Driver's side, look straight down and you should see it
When I look straight down on the drivers' side, what I see is where you fill the transmission fluid.

Edit: Love the search feature on this forum. I figured it had to be on the left side of the engine, and I had a feeling that sucker was located under that plastic engine cover. *hmph* http://www.acadiaforum.net/forum/index.php?topic=936.msg12753#msg12753 That explains why it wasn't visible.

jsimms... I hope you haven't been depending on that one on the drivers' side to tell you if your PS fluid is low or not. :p

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Web Raven,

The power steering is under the engine cover.
Remove the oil fill cap, then lift straight up on the plastic engine cover
(with the red VVT letters). There are 4 attach points for the cover,
one of them being the oil fill cap.

·
Registered
6,233 Posts
Copperhead13 said:
Web Raven,

The power steering is under the engine cover.
Remove the oil fill cap, then lift straight up on the plastic engine cover
(with the red VVT letters). There are 4 attach points for the cover,
one of them being the oil fill cap.
So they are truly "hiding" it in this engine.

·
Super Moderator
21,753 Posts
It's designs like this that GM paid high-priced engineers which eventually led to the company's collapse!

What ever happened to K.I.S.S.? :mad:

·
Registered
6,233 Posts
KISS principle went away long ago with regard to automotive design.

·
Premium Member
2,577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I forgot to add to my post that yesterday when I dropped the Acadia off in the morning, my usual service tech was not in. So I'm waiting in line for one of the two techs there to finish up. This tech actually asked out loud "Who's the owner of the Ar[/color]cadia?" :eek:hno:

Seriously. A GM employee can't even get the name of the vehicle right? What is this world coming to? ;)

1 - 20 of 33 Posts