GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need help. My vehicle gauges are bouncing up and down, can't drive over 20mph without the RPMs going to 3 and 4, door locks are clicking like they are unlocking and locking but isn't actually doing it, messages read service all wheel drive, service traction control, service stabilitrack, check engine light is on. But sometimes it runs perfectly fine as if nothing is wrong no lights no messages and drives perfect. Body control module was replaced ($600 later) and that did nothing... what else could it be?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Tonya,

Could be an issue with a poor / intermittent connection somewhere along the high-speed CAN communications bus. The "service traction control" is kind of a catch-all error message because that functionality requires data from so many different modules in the vehicle. If a connection is bad or a module is misbehaving then this message appears. Determine which diagnostic codes are being set. There may be a pattern. Your comment regarding the gauges and door locks point to the body control module (BCM) as a starting point for your search.

Communications issues can be tricky. A single worn pin/socket pair within my transmission control module connector would cause my '07 to intermittently "no crank" or enter "limp home mode" when the underhood temperature too low (<5 °F) or too high because the thermal expansion & contraction open circuited the CAN bus. It took the dealership two years to diagnose the problem and 20 minutes to fix it.

--
Brian

·
Registered
3,352 Posts
Tonya,

Could be an issue with a poor / intermittent connection somewhere along the high-speed CAN communications bus. The "service traction control" is kind of a catch-all error message because that functionality requires data from so many different modules in the vehicle. If a connection is bad or a module is misbehaving then this message appears. Determine which diagnostic codes are being set. There may be a pattern. Your comment regarding the gauges and door locks point to the body control module (BCM) as a starting point for your search.

Communications issues can be tricky. A single worn pin/socket pair within my transmission control module connector would cause my '07 to intermittently "no crank" or enter "limp home mode" when the underhood temperature too low (<5 °F) or too high because the thermal expansion & contraction open circuited the CAN bus. It took the dealership two years to diagnose the problem and 20 minutes to fix it.

--
Brian
Hey Brian. . good info and good to see you back with a comment or two !

·
Registered
5 Posts
Need help. My vehicle gauges are bouncing up and down, can't drive over 20mph without the RPMs going to 3 and 4, door locks are clicking like they are unlocking and locking but isn't actually doing it, messages read service all wheel drive, service traction control, service stabilitrack, check engine light is on. But sometimes it runs perfectly fine as if nothing is wrong no lights no messages and drives perfect. Body control module was replaced ($600 later) and that did nothing... what else could it be?
Sorry about the uncertainty, This is a result of doing trial and error on 3 2007-2012 Acadias so I'm not exactly sure if it applies to your specific car but here goes:

IMPORTANT TO NOTE: This is only applicable if the gear selector indicator (square around P/R/N/D) disappears when your dash acts up. It IS possibly applicable otherwise as well but in those cases, it's better to try other solutions first.

It's a 'relatively' simple check but it can't be done unless you're familiar with working on cars because it requires you to remove your air filter and its box.
And If you can't check it yourself it's still worthwhile to know about it so you can take it up with your mechanic the next time you're there. (Which you most likely will if it isn't fixed)

The possible perpetrator is a branched cable underneath the air filter box specifically the end that connects to the X111 connector. If you give it a wiggle and that movement seems to recreate the issue manually. That should be your villain.

I'll try to attach a photo [sorry about the dust. It's a picture I took on another old Acadia (2009) for documentation purposes]
Automotive tire Gas Motor vehicle Automotive wheel system Nut

(In case the attachment didn't work, Also marked for convenience. Green is the whole cable, Blue is the point of failure I've experienced)

The image is the left side of the engine right under the Air Filter housing. It's the most dominant cable in the area so shouldn't be too hard to spot.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts