GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all GM experts.I have a 2007 and a 2011 Acadia. The 2007 has just turned 300 thousand Kms or 186000 miles. A couple of weeks ago two codes showed up P0014 and P0018 and service stability trac.I am figuring timing chain.Now heres the question I also have a 2005 Cadillac CTS vin 7 3.6li with 62000kms.I am very good at pulling wrenches and from what I read the cts engine is a compatible long block.Changing exhaust ,intake ,sensors ,transmission and some say front timing cover and valve covers.Any info on this swap would be appreciated or have I missed something?

·
Super Moderator
20,280 Posts
Why go through all the work of swapping out an engine built for another car rather than just changing the timing chains and associated hardware on the engine you already have in the car?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
To do chains the motor is coming out anyway and all those parts need to come off.The cts has only 63000 km vs the Acadia has 300000 km so way less wear and tear.If the chains need to be done on the donor this is a good time to do so.The donor motor is free.Thats my thinking :-\

·
Super Moderator
20,280 Posts
You'd need to pay a lot of attention to the way things are presented between the two engines - like accessory mounts, engine mounts, if the older block will mate with the newer transmission, etc. Things could have been machined or cast a bit differently.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Be aware that the CTS engine was installed inline and the Acadia will require the conventional installation. As said before the mounting may not be the same. Seems like a ton of work to go through just to find out it's not going to work. The ECM made need to be re-programmed since to CTS engine appears to be running at a slightly lower rpm.
2004–2007 Cadillac CTS 255 hp (190 kW) @ 6200 rpm 252 lb·ft (342 N·m) @ 3100 rpm
2007–2008 GMC Acadia 275 hp (205 kW) @ 6600 rpm 251 lb·ft (340 N·m) @ 3200 rpm

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes you are correct. From all the research I have found was that the Acadia engine 2007 was a first generation 3.6li RPO LY7 VVT was produced from 2005 to 2008 in St. Catharines (Ontario), Flint Engine South (Michigan) Northstar engines.Introduced in the 2005 Cadillac cts then for one year in the 2007 acadia.The difference in hp is from the intake plenum on the Acadia being much higher and shorter air induction,plus lager exhaust manifolds.I have to transverse this engine .I look at it this way I have a CTS and when I remove my Acadia I will look at it very carefully,I have read where CTS owners have put in Acadia engines, I think it possible that the long blocks are the same,In our shop we put in 6.6 duramac diesels in Cadillac Escalades im sure we can tweak this.Just that cts engine is very low kms and free.But good point on transmission and hp.Thanks for your input all help is appreciated.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello all GM experts.I have a 2007 and a 2011 Acadia. The 2007 has just turned 300 thousand Kms or 186000 miles. A couple of weeks ago two codes showed up P0014 and P0018 and service stability trac.I am figuring timing chain.Now heres the question I also have a 2005 Cadillac CTS vin 7 3.6li with 62000kms.I am very good at pulling wrenches and from what I read the cts engine is a compatible long block.Changing exhaust ,intake ,sensors ,transmission and some say front timing cover and valve covers.Any info on this swap would be appreciated or have I missed something?
any update on this?

·
Registered
24 Posts
The service stability trac, no traction control light is the brake switch, so even with the engine swap that light will stay on, so will your brake lights.

·
Super Moderator
20,280 Posts
@Johnny G, you're commenting on a thread that's almost 3 years old! :surprise:

·
Registered
1 Posts
help

has anyone found out if the transfer worked. my 2007 acadia is blown and online long blocks for the cadalic are easier to find and cheaper then the acdai block need info

·
Registered
1 Posts
ANYTIME I DO A SWAP OF THIS NATURE I ALWAYS GET IN TOUCH WITH MY LOCAL SALVAGE YARD. THEY HAVE A CROSSOVER CATALOG OF WHAT A PARTICULAR PART WILL FIT.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts