GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, so what exactly is the difference, listed below, in the towing package versus not having the towing package? Specifically, in the towing weight?

I am thinking of upgrading my utility/motorcycle trailer to a bigger version. I would like to get a 12 foot v-nose, with an average trailer weight of 2200 lbs, loaded, it may weigh 3200 lbs....

What makes up the difference between the 2000 and 4500 towing weights?

JJ

Front-Wheel Drive and 6-Speed Automatic Transaxle (MY9) with Trailer Provisions (V92)
4,500 lb. (2,041 kg)

Front-Wheel Drive and 6-Speed Automatic Transaxle (MY9) without Trailer Provisions (V92)
2,000 lb. (907 kg)

All-Wheel Drive and 6-Speed Automatic Transaxle (MH6) with Trailer Provisions (V92)
4,500 lbs. (2,041 kg)

All-Wheel Drive and 6-Speed Automatic Transaxle (MH6) without Trailer Provisions V92
2,000 lb. (907 kg)

·
Registered
428 Posts
The only real differece between the two that I can find is that the vehicle that come with the towing package have a larger radiator and the transmission has the tow/haul mode. The transmission coolers are on the vehicles whether there is a towing package or not. Other than that the vehicles are identical.

·
Registered
5 Posts
The difference is mainly in the factory package versus the add on package. I added stock trailer after the fact and was told that the 2000 lb max was due to there being no tranny cooler so I would confirm that with you dealer since the last post said it was on there anyway.

I tow a 4,500 boat/trailer with mine but only go about a mile to the ramp with it. I was told by a mechanic buddy that long trips with hilly roads could be problematic.

If you have an add on package take care since the wiring is not set up for the lights and will require the purchase of a new fuse block ($350). I found that out after already installing the hitch and wiring.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Like virtually all new vehicles with automatic transmissions, the ATF cooler is a small secondary exchanger inside the main radiator. This is true with or with out the tow package. There is a big advantage in temperature stability doing this as the ATF gets up to operating temp faster and then is essentially held stabil by the cooling system thermostat. On the vehicles with the tow package, the main radiator is increased so that both coolant and ATF have additional cooling capacity. Changing out the radiator is rather impractical as an upgrade for those w/o the trailer package so some have added an additional external transmission cooler to help with towing capacity. While that in itself is not the same approach as the factory package, it does move things in the right direction.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If you have an add on package take care since the wiring is not set up for the lights and will require the purchase of a new fuse block ($350). I found that out after already installing the hitch and wiring.
[/quote]

I am lucky, I have a 2007 covered by the TSB and warranty to fox all that stuff.....

JJ
Pittsburgh, PA

·
Registered
40 Posts
You do not need to upgrade the fuse panel to add trailer wiring to your non-tow package. It can all be added after with just a simple tail light converter, I have done this to mine for about $60 and it's not hard. I did a thread with pictures showing and telling what I did to get it done.

·
Registered
428 Posts
You might not need to upgrade the fuse block to have lights but if you want a 7 pin connector to run the brake controller or have the reverse circuit you do. I went ahead and had my fuse block changed so the car would be like it would have come from the factory. Aftermarket is great for some things but others it is nice to have the factory parts working. IMHO

·
Registered
40 Posts
dfrank78 said:
You might not need to upgrade the fuse block to have lights but if you want a 7 pin connector to run the brake controller or have the reverse circuit you do. I went ahead and had my fuse block changed so the car would be like it would have come from the factory. Aftermarket is great for some things but others it is nice to have the factory parts working. IMHO
Yes having it like factory is nice but not necessary you can have the 7 pin with the addition of 2 extra wires running to the back. One for the brake and the other for the backup circuit. The 7th wire is 12v hot for charging the battery of a brake away circuit or a battery for a camper.

If I had to pay $350 to get this done I would do it aftermarket for less than $80. As for the cooling the addition of a external transmission cooler should be more than enough.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts