GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the 19 inch ultrabright aluminum rims and was wondering what everyone's thought on proper care was. I have had bad luck with rim care in the past and they always have ended up looking faded and scratched. Since winter is upon us I wanted to put something on them to protect them from the road salt and to enhance the look of them. As of now I am looking into the Mother's powerball product but am confused about the description:

The Mothers® PowerBall® is the first foam polishing tool designed to revitalize billet, diamond plate, polished aluminum, stainless steel, plastic lenses, convertible top windows and much more. When used with Mothers® PowerMetal® polish, the PowerBall® is ideal for use on any uncoated, polishable metal finish. Its unique and durable construction compresses to fit tight spaces, so polishing difficult, intricate metalwork to a mirror-like finish is fast and easy.

Are the Acadia rims an uncoated, polishable metal? Is the powerball safe to use on them. I know that my Grand Prix has the Alcoa Forged aluminum rims and you can use the powerball on them. I wanted to purchase one product to use on both. Maybe Mr. Paintandcardetailing can ring in on this one. I love the look of polished rims and would like mine to have that look but I don't want to inadvertently ruin the finish. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
681 Posts
I am pretty sure they are coated with a clear coat. I would not use the Powerball on these. I just clean them with auto soap and I use the same wax I use on the body to provide some protection.

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
I agree!! Wash and wax them the same as the painted surface.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I appreciate everyone's help. I was planning on stopping off and picking up a powerball today on my way home to use on Friday. I am seeing my family on Saturday for Thanksgiving dinner and really want the new Acadia to make a good impression so I wanted the rims to really "pop". I understand that you can really damage your rims if you clean them inappropriately and don't want to damage them. With the normal process for detailing a car being to polish the paint and then wax it, should I just wax the rims or polish them also?

What does everyone use on their rims to care for them and keep them looking nice?

·
Registered
681 Posts
I did use a clay bar to remove all dirt and contamination on the rims prior to waxing them - I also used a seperate piece of clay bar for the rims and one for the vehicle itself. I have to guess a polish safe for clearcoat will be OK to use on the rims, I use Zaino Z-2 polish/wax, then a coat of Z-CS (Clear Seal) protectant - proiduces a nice shine.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you for the info. I will have nice shiny rims for the holidays (sounds like a song title). :D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts