GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I test drove both, and found the ride with the 19s to be noticeably harsher. The 19s look great, but so do the 18s. I went with 18s.

·
Registered
380 Posts
I ended up with 19's to get the color I wanted (liquid Silver/Titanium) as they were on the stock unit. To me they seem as smooth as the 18' s on the Acadia I tried out originally :eek:

·
Registered
246 Posts
Sanman14 said:
I test drove both, and found the ride with the 19s to be noticeably harsher. The 19s look great, but so do the 18s. I went with 18s.
Was this with AWD or FWD?

·
Registered
22 Posts
I test drove FWD and AWD and the AWD seemed just a little bit more comfortable. What did not notice until later was the FWD had 19" wiheels. I decided to order the AWD. The salesman said the wheels did not make a difference. Anyway, I am glad I opted for the AWD even with less fuel economy. I understand from other sources the larger wheels will produce a slightly harsher ride due to the smaller sidewall of the tire. I am still happy with my decision. Should be getting delivery in couple weeks.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I didn't test drive them back-to-back, but in my test drive of an Outlook with the 19s the ride felt harsher than I remembered with the 18s. Aside from the shorter sidewall, the 19s are performance tires while the 18s are SUV tires. So the 19s should grip better on dry roads, and the steering should feel sharper (didn't notice much difference here, though), while the 18s should ride better and do better in snow and mud.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The two I test drove were both AWD. I drove them consecutively over the same route, and found the 18s to be a smoother ride. The 19s provided a little more road feel, as they should, but overall the smoothness with still good handling of the 18s won me over. No mountain roads in Eastern Virginia, so performance should be fine.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Multiple reviews have pointed out that the 19s are not as smooth as the 18s. We drove multiple FWDs, and I did not notice it, but my wife did think the 18s were smoother. (She did not know the difference was the tires and asked me if there was some difference, but that was it). When I read the reviews, it came together. The 19s look good, but at faster wear, more expensive replacement, rougher ride, and additional cost-- the 18s were the right choice for us.

·
Registered
261 Posts
I have the 19's and the ride is pretty smooth to me. I don't think it could be any smoother with 18's.

Maybe it has to do with the air pressure. The more air in the tires the harder the ride.

·
Registered
119 Posts
i drove both and thought the 18s were a softer ride. As for as replacement, I remember someone stating that the 19s were cheaper than the 18s ......dunno why ???

my s white plian jane sle will be here this week....... :blob:

:blob: :blob: :blob: just got the call ...it's here!!!!!!!!!!! :cheers:

·
Registered
752 Posts
Basically the 18's have an inch more tire - thus more air and rubber to cushion the ride.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Having driven both back-to-back, I found the ride quality of the 18's to be slightly better. The 19's handled a little better, though. This is probably due to the different tread design. The 18's have a more open tread design giving a little better bite in snow, while the 19's are more of a true highway tire. Anyone who may be interested in trading the 19's for a set of 18's please let me know.

·
Registered
380 Posts
In the end the 19's just LOOK :cheers: better, at least in my opinion :blob:!!!! However as always, to each his own. I am sure in the next few months we will see a ton of aftermarket 20's and larger.

·
Registered
80 Posts
If you are switching tire sizes, just be aware that a different outside diameter tire will alter the speedometer readings. You can measure the difference with a tape measure around the tire tread surface and calculate the percentage of increase or decrease that you will see in the speeometer readings using (old length-new length)/old length. Multiply the result x 100 to get percentage difference. A longer tread (larger diameter tire) will cause a lower speed reading.

One think I noticed on my old Caravan about tire size is that the larger tires (16" vs 15") had a significant affect on the acceleration from a stop, but increased the mileage about 1 mpg.

·
Registered
752 Posts
However, you can kick your rim size up one and your wheel size down one and not change your overall ratio much (if at all).  Your ride will typically suffer as you have less rubber on the road.  Since you can sometimes go to a wider tire, handling may improve.

·
Registered
121 Posts
tire facts...18" are within a 1/4 inch of being the same overall diameter as the 19". 19's have less sidewall height than the 18's. Both are made by Goodyear. 18's are all season rated and 19's are "performance" rated. Actual performance is very similar with less than a foot difference in stopping distance. Maximum lateral acceleration (cornering power) is within .01g. Ride is slightly firmer with 19's but suspension tuning has been adjusted to minimize difference. Putting 19's on a vehicle that had 18's WILL result in a notice-ably stiffer ride.

·
Registered
752 Posts
acadia7j100001, your last sentence is interesting! Are you saying that the shocks (suspension tuning) are differently adjusted for the factory 19's than the 18's. Thus if you went to 20's (if it were possible), you would definately want to go from 19's, not 18's without really paying a price in ride difference?

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have driven both 19 and 18 and although there is a measure of truth due to less sidewall with the 19's. The ride IMHO isnt a huge difference and the slight improved handling that the 19's offer again because of the "lesser sidewall" and is a nice tradeoff. Then again, I have a sport sedan and a 2 seater sports car that ride wayyyy stiffer, so to me the 18 vs 19 on the acadia is a moot point and for me hardly noticed its very luxury soft to me. Personally I dont sweat it.

·
Registered
752 Posts
Cuvsteve, I agree with you. I am just curious if the factory had tuned the suspension differently for the 19's than the 18's?

·
Registered
497 Posts
sandman said:
Cuvsteve, I agree with you. I am just curious if the factory had tuned the suspension differently for the 19's than the 18's?
I agree with both of you. I hop we'll get more details from Adadia7j100001 on your question ... as inquiring minds want to know!

·
Registered
161 Posts
From what I have read GM spent a great deal (exorbitant) of time and money on developing the suspension tuning for the 18's...Goodyear was also very involved...much, much more time than is spent by most manufacturers on the "standard" tire option.

The way it was explained to me is they wanted a premium ride from the standard tire set up...they obviously got it because if you look at most other auto's and the differences between the standard tire option and the upgraded option the differences are quite noticable. On our Acadia's...for the most part...the performance/ride characteristics are similar...not the same...but close.

I chose the 19's because I liked the look of the wheel and the 'slightly' firmer/sportier ride of the 19's.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts