GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! We are getting ready to purchase a 2008 Acadia with AWD, and are looking for some feedback on the wheel size. My wife likes the looks of the 19 inch rims better, but I've read some opinions that the 18 inch wheels may have a better ride, better in snow, and are cheaper. What do you all think?

Ray

·
Registered
9 Posts
I bought my 08 off the lot and like most SLT-2's it has the 19's. I do not think the ride is any different. It is mostly looks. There has been some discussion about the tread difference that would lead one to think the 19's are not as good in the snow, but with the AWD and new tires I am not worried!

·
Registered
83 Posts
Increased road noise can be an issue with the more aggressive tread pattern with the tires used on the 18's, from what I've read. I ordered the 19's and love the look. The highway ride is awesome. Around town, though, abrupt changes in the pavement, like manhole covers, do create more of a jolt than the 18's. When I first picked mine up, this was very pronounced, and I was becoming unhappy about it, but the tires turned out to be about 3-4 psi above the recommended 35 psi; running recommended pressure has helped. I've now got about 4200 mi. on mine, and it seems as if things are a little better still. Maybe the suspension itself was a little too tight and needed some breaking in.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Hello Ray: Well, our Acadia came with the 19's. (ordered a vehicle with 18's but the dealer ordered the vehicle wrong, got us another..blah blah...long story). So, we have 19's and are quite pleased with the look and performance.

However, something to consider is availability of replacement options. Specifically, WINTER TIRES!! Which we are searching for now, but there seem to be none available in this size, right now. Just something to consider.
I did some reading on this site and was referred to Tirerack.com where I did a search for our vehicle, tire size etc., and that is where I found that there were no options for snow in the 19s. I also read elsewhere, that within 6 months of a new vehicle coming out, manufacturers begin production and have options available for sale. Hope there something before the snow flies!!!

·
Registered
46 Posts
18 inch vs 19 inch wheels

What is the benefit of 19 inch wheels vs 18 inch wheels? Are 19 inch wheels considered an upgrade because of the way they look or is there actually additional functionality? If I order a 2009 I am not sure if I want to pay the extra money for the 19 inch wheels. Tell me why I should or shouldn't.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
Re: 18 inch vs 19 inch wheels

The 19" wheels are mostly cosmetic. Some would argue that the lower profile will give better handling, but it's minimal. Th 18" tires will be a bit smoother. The biggest difference has nothing to do with the size of the tires. It has to do with the tires themselves.

The 18" tires are rated one of the best tires overall. They get good rain/snow/ice traction and do a great job overall. The 19" tires are rated as one of the worst tires out there. The are poor at best in the rain and do very poorly in the snow compared to the 18" tires. Why in the world GM went with such a poor 19" tire, I will never know.

I saved my money and went with the 18" tires and I would suggest you do the same if you don't mind how they look.

GAR

·
Registered
65 Posts

When I bought mine, the salesman stated that the people that had bought the 19's were only getting 25K miles out of the tires, and the 18's were getting 50K. That was a huge sell off for me.

·
Registered
1,703 Posts

That makes sense based on the tire ratings. The 18s are a high mileage tire and the 19s are not. The good thing about the 19s is that they will wear out quickly so they can be replaced by a better tire. There is a Michelin tire that is the size of the 19s that is a better tire. This is the tire that comes standard on the Enclave 19" wheels. It is still not as good as the 18s, but is way better than the 19s that come standard on the Acadia.

The only negative about the 18's is the fact that the size is unique and as of today, the only tire manufactured in that size is the one that comes on the car. This makes the price very high for a replacement. As long as we don't have a road hazard problem, we should be OK though as I think by the time our 18s wear out, other manufacturers will be making that size and the price will likely come down.

·
Registered
24 Posts

This topic has provided an annoying ring in my head while trying to make a decision on a purchase. I would prefer the 18" over the 19" merely on looks. I have also heard the reasons above regarding handleing etc...I need an overall good around town vehicle for a people mover.
So that said, I found a car with most of the options I want (and not those that I don't). Overall, it's the right car, however it has the 19", that I really don't want and really don't feel like paying that extra $. So being new to this car buying stuff...can I ask the dealer to swap the tires, or does that car have to be sold like that?
Any info would be helpful!
TIA- 8)

·
Registered
1,703 Posts

From my experience, this would totally depend on the dealer. But my guess would be, given that the VIN defines the car, that they would not swap. I would push them to find one exactly like you want.

·
Registered
31 Posts

GAR said:
The 19" wheels are mostly cosmetic. Some would argue that the lower profile will give better handling, but it's minimal. Th 18" tires will be a bit smoother. The biggest difference has nothing to do with the size of the tires. It has to do with the tires themselves.

The 18" tires are rated one of the best tires overall. They get good rain/snow/ice traction and do a great job overall. The 19" tires are rated as one of the worst tires out there. The are poor at best in the rain and do very poorly in the snow compared to the 18" tires. Why in the world GM went with such a poor 19" tire, I will never know.

I saved my money and went with the 18" tires and I would suggest you do the same if you don't mind how they look.

GAR
I have 20K miles on my '07 Outlook AWD and I am convinced I have at least another 20-30K left on my OME 19" tires. So I definitely disagree with the statement that these tires have a short lifespan.

Also, I was very pleased with the performance during this past winter - we had at least 6-8 big snow storms, I drove 150 miles during a bad one too and never had any slippage, hesitation, etc.

J33

·
Registered
113 Posts

I second J33. I have an '08 with about 8,000 miles on it and I have the 19". I live in the south where there is no snow but we get plenty of rain. I have not see one problem with the 19" in the rain and the tires look to be wearing normally. I went with the 19" because they make the Acadia look much better then the 18". IMO.

·
Registered
1,703 Posts

J33 and Swarren7 : You may very well be right. I have a friend that bought their 2007 about 1 year before I bought my 2008. They have 19s and drove their FWD through the winter and complained. Their complaining is why I looked the tires up on tirerack and based on that information, went with the 18s.

My apologies for wording it the way I did. I should have said something like ... "based on tirerack".... as I based what I said in this thread on their information. Perhaps they are wrong. Everyone drives differently, and everyone gets different results out of tires. My guess is, that if you get good mileage out of the 19s, you would do even better with the 18s.

Based on the links I put at the bottom, here is what I saw on tirerack that lead to what I said.

Dry Traction
18s: Superior
19s: Excellent
Cornering
18s: Excellent
19s: Excellent
Wet Traction
19s: Good
Snow
19s: Fair
Ice
18s: Good
19s: Fair
Comfort
19s: Good
Would You Buy This Tire Again?
18s: Most said: "Probably Not" (Average of 3.7 out of 10)
19s: Most said: "Probably" (Average of 6.8 out of 10)
How Did This Tire Rank In Its Category?
18s: 12 out of 65 tires (Score of 7.8 vs best tire in category score of 8.7)
19s: 18 out of 22 tires (Score of 5.6 vs best tire in category score of 8.5)

18s:
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...&fromCompare1=yes&partnum=565SR8FORTHL#Survey
19s:
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...true&fromCompare1=yes&partnum=56HR9RSA#Survey

·
Registered
487 Posts

I thought I heard they were changing the 19" tires on the 2009

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts

There are good and bad points for each. The issue with what are known as +1, or 1" larger diameter wheels/tires is that the overall diameter must be kept the same. This causes the sidewall of the tire to become significantly smaller.

For example, a 275/40-17 tire decodes as follows:
275: Overall width in millimeters
40: The ratio of sidewall height to tire width at the tread, 40% of the sidewall height to the tread
17: Diameter of the wheel it fits

For example, a car may have 245/50-16 tires as original equipment on 16" wheels. If you put on 17" wheels, you have to use lower profile tires like a 275/40-17 to keep the overall diameter approximately the same. If you alter the overall diameter, it will throw off your speedometer, and cause your engine to turn faster (smaller overall diameter) / slower (larger overall diameter). You can also use lower profile tires with the same wheel diameter in order to get more rubber on the road. In the above example, these were standard and optional tire sizes for the 4th generation Pontiac Trans Am. I installed a set of 11" wide wheels on the rear and used 315/35-17 tires on them.

Lower profile tires are normally used on high performance cars, not for people movers. A shorter sidewall will result in a stiffer ride and better handling, since there is less rubber to absorb road surface irregularities or to cause the vehicle to slew to the side due to sidewall "give". There is also less room to absorb road hazards. In the town I used to live in, a guy bought a new Mercedes with some of these super low profile tires. He had the misfortune to run over a screw that embedded itself into his wheel and he couldn't drive the car (had to call for road service). If he had a taller tire, he could have still driven the car since the screw would have been in the tire tread and not in the wheel.

I am not a fan of the oversize wheels as is currently the trend in the auto industry. I told my wife if my old Corvair ever gets "overhauled" by Chip Foose (yeah, right ;)), I would not let him put those stupid 20" wheels on it.

Here is a handy link for calculating replacement oversize/undersize tires (requires Java) :
Tire Calculator

·
Registered
1,929 Posts

If I recall the 18inch factory are M&S rated and the 19's are not. We have almost 20,000 on our 18's and this tire is rated at 70,000 miles. Looking at the tire today, would say we have another 50,000 left. Another thing, sometimes a larger rim + larger tire = more weight which means less mpg. My 2 cents

·
Registered
46 Posts

I looked at two almost identical Acadias side by side yesterday. One had 18" and one had 19". I couldn't even tell the difference. I kept asking the sales guy if he was sure they were different sizes and he assured me that they were. So, that sealed the decision for me. I will go with 18" when I order a 2009. I can't see any reason to pay the extra money for the 19". If the 18" had looked to tiny on it I probably would have decided to pay the extra money for the 19".

Thanks to all of you for your feedback.

·
Registered
677 Posts

teetertotter said:
If I recall the 18inch factory are M&S rated and the 19's are not. We have almost 20,000 on our 18's and this tire is rated at 70,000 miles. Looking at the tire today, would say we have another 50,000 left. Another thing, sometimes a larger rim + larger tire = more weight which means less mpg. My 2 cents
The 19's on my outlook are M&S

1 - 20 of 27 Posts