GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Starting getting this message on Sunday. I know earlier model year Acadia's had Airbag recalls, but nothing for the '14. Any body else get this message and know a fix?

·
Registered
8,458 Posts
just for giggles...move your seats back and forth.... see if the message goes away.
Seen this before where moving the seats along the tracks made the message go away once the power was cycled.. Worth a try.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
rbarrios - I am giggling because it worked. I moved seats fully back and forth as you recommended and the message was not there. Hopefully permanent fix that saved me time, money and frustration. btw - I called two dealers and they offered no help other than pay me a $100 diagnostic fee. Thanks for your help and happy 4th

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Unfortunately moving the seats back and forth only worked for a day. I will try checking the connections.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Worked for a day. Will try the connections under the seat.
rbarrios - I am giggling because it worked. I moved seats fully back and forth as you recommended and the message was not there. Hopefully permanent fix that saved me time, money and frustration. btw - I called two dealers and they offered no help other than pay me a $100 diagnostic fee. Thanks for your help and happy 4th

·
Registered
21 Posts
Another "Service Airbag" message

Our 2012 SLT1, 110K miles, recently started showing "Service Airbag" warning, with a warning light showing of right passenger with an airbag in the tummy, in instruments area . It only shows with a passenger in right front seat. I have a low-priced OBDII scan tool ( AstroAI ASIOS320) which I plugged in but see nothing about airbag showing up - does it take a better scanner to pull any code for this?

I see other posts here that say try the connections under passenger seat and I will try that. I have no wish to give a GM dealer bundles of money to diagnose and possibly repair a loose circuit, but neither do I wish to jeopardize passenger with a "no airbag" condition, since my wife had an airbag incident 20 years ago from a deer hitting her car where the airbags probably saved her and a passenger from worse injuries than the airbags caused. We bought this Acadia just 4 months ago and wonder if the dealer (Rick Hendrick Chevrolet in Atlanta) might want to help us.

·
Super Moderator
18,310 Posts
... I have a low-priced OBDII scan tool ( AstroAI ASIOS320) which I plugged in but see nothing about airbag showing up - does it take a better scanner to pull any code for this?
Some scanners are only capable of reading codes related to CEL problems.

... We bought this Acadia just 4 months ago and wonder if the dealer (Rick Hendrick Chevrolet in Atlanta) might want to help us.
Depends on your relationship with them. They're not obligated to "help" if they sold you the vehicle "as is." Their technicians are certainly qualified to troubleshoot and repair the problem.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Try AutoZone, they probably have scanner that has ABS and SRS features. Auto Zone usually scan for free. Many tools include these features can be found less than $100. For my 2007 Acadia, I have had to replace a seat pad built-in weight measurement sensor. The weight measurement sensor is to detect how much weight seating in order to turn on/off the passenger airbag. The sensor is like a circuit plastic sheet. The design is not durable as it would be torn after years of usage.

·
Registered
333 Posts
I think hungtdao is right! It’s probably that sensor pad in the passenger seat. A lot of these devices are “Modules” that communicate with the vehicle’s central computer (ECM) over a computer network. They likely respond to “status” requests on an ongoing basis so that the central computer knows they are still “alive” and functioning properly. When they take too long to respond, or stop responding all together, the ECM lights the “Check Engine” indicator and stores a code # (or, in this case, lights the more-specific, dedicated airbag warning light ... since this is a safety system).

My Harbor Fake code reader (~$85) reads ABS codes, but I’ve never had to actually *read* an ABS code with it, so I don’t know if it could read *your* code, but it could very well be a very-specific code currently stored on your computer indicating the “passenger seat sensor has stopped communicating”.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Starting getting this message on Sunday. I know earlier model year Acadia's had Airbag recalls, but nothing for the '14. Any body else get this message and know a fix?
It's probably a seat sensor problem. This is a common Acadia problem through many years that GMC will not correct. This should be a recall as it will shut off the airbag system to not only the passenger side but the whole car. But GMC will only clean the connector or reroute it in some earlier year vehicles. The web site airbag360 sells an electrical connector for about $80 that emulates the passenger seat is occupied. This will make the SRS system believe someone is always in the seat. If you go that route leave the kids in the rear of the vehicle.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
About this Discussion
13 Replies
11 Participants
speleos
GMC Acadia Forum
Join our Acadia Forum community where enthusiasts discuss mods and troubleshooting for the GMC Acadia and Denali Crossover SUV.
Full Forum Listing