GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I'm just curious what you have used your outlet for, or perhaps you plan on using it for in the future. I thought I would be able to plug the vacuum in it that I use for the house work, but apparently the amps are to high. I actually am not even sure mine is working correctly so I am interested in talking about that. Is there a reset button that I don't know about? I read the manual and it seems to say it resets itself if you run a "thing" that is wrong for it, like a vacuum cleaner, or any tool that requires a large amount of Amps to start it up. Just wondering also what people would use this for. So many of the electrical things we use today have cigarette DC adapters it doesn't seem like there are as many needs for this little "extra" they have added. I am going on a trip next month and am planning to camp out. My first wish will be to take the coffee grinder along and the espresso maker. I don't think that is even an option with this outlet. So lets hear it. What will you use this for?

·
Registered
659 Posts
These really can't handle much more than basic electronic devices. Things like laptops, music players or video players. Anything with much of a heating element (cofee pot) or motor (cofee grinder) is defnitely going to exceed capacity.

·
Registered
468 Posts
My Enclave manual states that it is only rated for 150 watts, which means something that draws only about 1.25 amps. That is not that much. To frame this up, our coffee grinder is 150 watts, our coffee maker is 700 watts and our blender is 350 watts. It really is designed for small electronics.

·
Registered
70 Posts
We've used ours for a laptop computer and for an XBox, so far with no problems (knock on wood!). I think the outlet is a great feature! :thumb:

·
Registered
405 Posts
the outlet really only comes in handy if you have a dvd player because you can plug in game systems or camcorders and watch or play. we have used it for a game cube and a ps2

·
Registered
6 Posts
i use it to power a portable dvd player and to charge my cell phone.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I notice that most of what people say they use it for are things that also are most often charged in the DC /cigarette outlet. With two of those to chose from in the back seat, why are you all using the AC outlet? Just curious.

·
Registered
6,695 Posts
Had the vehicle for 3 months and haven't used it as yet - I hope it works!!!!

·
Registered
395 Posts
Dan-M said:
I notice that most of what people say they use it for are things that also are most often charged in the DC /cigarette outlet. With two of those to chose from in the back seat, why are you all using the AC outlet? Just curious.
I don't have an invertor installed but have used an inverter before in other applications. The best thing I can think of using it for is a laptop. The power "brick" for most laptops puts out more than 12V (18-20 volts is fairly common). A step up transformer only works in an AC circuit, not DC that the cigaretter adaptor provides, so it is fairly difficult to make more than 12-14 VDC in a car. It's much simpler and cheaper to make 120 VAC from the cars 12 VDC with an invertor than just use the laptops power supply to knock the 120 VAC down to the 18-20 VDC the laptop actually needs. That's why DC power supplies for laptops are fairly rare (you can get them but they are not very common).

A few years ago, I had a 400 watt invertor I tried to run a drill off of (I was on a boat and didn't have AC available). It worked but just barely. It turned a few turns, stalled, turned, stalled. I got the hole drilled but the performance is so marginal I wouldn't suggest trying to run a motor off it at all. It's probably best suited for electronics... laptops, game consoles, maybe a small TV.

·
Registered
110 Posts
merri said:
i use it to power a portable dvd player and to charge my cell phone.
Same here. The DVD player did not come with a DC adapter, so I use the AC cord.

·
Registered
5 Posts
My son uses it for his play station......We put the headphones on him and we can listen to XM while he plays..... :thumb:

·
Registered
497 Posts
I used mine once, last weekned, to charge my Blackberry. The Bberry charger doesn't come with a cig-lighter adapter. The regular plug adapter worked great. I agree with other posts that it should be used for low power applications.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I used mine to charge up some walkie talkies and to charge my cell phone. Have wondered if I could power a small electric drill ....gotta try that. Plan to use it for portable power tool charging and computer and portable dvd player.

·
Registered
123 Posts
glad to know it works for video games cause my children will be plugging in the nintendo for long trips in our enclave.

·
Registered
468 Posts
etgus said:
Zman: so are you saying I can't blow dry my hair back there???!!!!
Sure. Open the window and start driving. ;)

·
Registered
123 Posts
Just got a new cell phone and didn't purchase a separate car charger yet. Plugged the home charger in the Acadia and it worked beautifully. :D

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I finally got mine to work. It had a blown fuse.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts