GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone attempted installing this on their own? This was one thing I wanted but it did not come on our Acadia. Is it even possible to wire it up? From my understanding it is located on the back of the center console between the front seat correct?

·
Registered
428 Posts
I dont have it on mine either, but I would imagine it would be a pain to install. You would have to hard wire an inverter to power the ac power from the dc source. you can buy a portable inverter that plugs into the 12v plug in the console already, this might be an easier option.

·
Registered
1,703 Posts

·
Registered
428 Posts
If you do buy a plug in inverter make sure you get one that supplies enough wattage to run the equipment that you want to plug in. If you dont get enough wattage it could burn up whatever you are trying to run or not have enough power to turn it on.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am thinking factory equipment.

My thought process was that the wiring harness is already run since they whole electrical system pretty much comes bundled up and they just unroll the bundle through out the car. So all that would be missing would be the inverter and outlet. So it would be cheaper and easier to make one bundle and connect the appropriate equipment to the harness as optioned instead of making several different harnesses for all the different options.

Those that do have this option, is there a fuse in the fuse box also for it?

My project for the weekend might be to tear into the center console and see if there is a wiring harness there.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, after looking at some schematics it does appear to be a single and same wiring harness in every acadia when it comes to the center console. Right now it appears that all one would need to buy is the plate with the outlet on it and the inverter.

http://www.trademotion.com/partloca...330&callout=25&catalogid=2&displayCatalogid=0

I will definitly open my center console up this weekend and take a look and some pics.

Anyone that does have the outlet willing to open there's up and snap some pics? I will also visit the stealership this weekend to verify this with the parts department.

If the harness is truly there than this could be a very simple add on.

·
Registered
30 Posts
If you really plan on opening them up, please, please, post what you find, I would also be very curious to perform this upgrade if it as easy as plug and play into a factory harness.
Thanks

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Not a problem cway. I plan on taking lots of pics since this will probably be a first for opening the center console up.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I'm working on a project to rewire the 12 volt outlets to turn on and off with the ignition rather than being on all the time. I took some pictures to document my progress for this forum. This one shows the open back of the console. You have to pop off the thin bezel around the outlet panel first. It snaps in at the top and it's pretty stuck in there. The rear of the console pops off fairly easily after that.

The wiring for the 120V outlet is wrapped with red electrical tape, as a warning, I guess. The inverter itself is in the rear, driver side compartment just forward of the jack (the "lift up the vehicle" jack, not an electrical connector). The red tape wiring harness travels up the center of the vehicle to a big 43 pin connector at the right front of the console. The other side of the connector feeds into the console itself. The harness has many wires in in it, not just the inverter wires.

There are two connectors on the inverter itself, a 6 pin with 4 wires (from the outlet module) and a 2 pin with 2 wires (from the fuseblock). There is also a dedicated 25 amp fuse for the inverter in the underhood fuse block.

It's interesting, an ignition circuit goes to the 120V outlet module. A switch in the outlet closes when an AC plug is physically plugged into the outlet. That switched ignition circuit then goes to the inverter as a turn on trigger. The main power input to the inverter is on all the time via the 25A fuse.

If the wiring is in place and you find the unconnected connectors forward of the jack and in the console, this will be an easy project. Otherwise, it could involve a lot of wiring. I wouldn't be surprised if GM does have different wiring harnesses for different trim levels, though. Good luck.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
domtesta said:
I'm working on a project to rewire the 12 volt outlets to turn on and off with the ignition rather than being on all the time.
I had a Pontiac Montana that I wanted the outlets to turn on/off with the ignition. I ended up buying a 12v solid state relay at radio shack and driving the relay with the switched power. This kept the same fuse and circuit powering the outlet and did not cause any significant drain on the aux power.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts