GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 12 volt outlets stay hot, even with the car off.
Is this normal, seems like an accident waiting to happen.

Anyone know if these would actually drain the battery with
something sustantial plugged in overnight?

·
Registered
487 Posts
I think the idea is that you can leave a cell phone plugged in; I know for a fact that it won't drain the battery. Now if you plug your 12v toaster into it you might have issues. IMO if you can afford a 30-40k car you are responsible enough to know what is plugged in. You probably won't drain the battery if it's like my truck everything turns off if the battery gets low.

·
Premium Member
3,212 Posts
Are your saying they are physically hot, or just active? If they are actually hot, temperature wise, I would be concerned. Otherwise the 12V outlets in my truck are active too, just like the Acadia, even with the ignition off. Seems normal to me.

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
All GM products that I have owned work this way. The power stays hot (i.e. "on") in the 12v outlets when the car is off. And yes, it will drain the battery if you have something plugged in for too long. I have a AC inverter that I use and if I leave it plugged in it will drain the battery over night. In my Montana, I installed a 12v solid state relay I bought from Radio Shack and made the 12v outlets turn off when the ignition was off, but I have not yet done that with the Acadia.

·
Registered
17 Posts
In our bonneville you can have it hot all the time or hot with just the switch. You can change it by the placement of the fuse. I have not looked on the acadia to see if it can be changed. Right now I know it is hot all the time, but that is the way I like it.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Yes the outlets are always powered and they will drain the battery if something is left plugged into them. Found that out the hard way after taking a week long vacation and I left the radar detector plugged in. :banghead:

·
Registered
533 Posts
I thought these newer GM vehicles had a battery drain protection circuit in them that would power-off when the battery reached something like 9.9 volts??? Did that just go away?

Smooth [/color] <><

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
I think the protection circuit works for things like the lights and other car accessories. But from my experience, it does not work for the 12v outlets.

·
Registered
487 Posts
GAR said:
I think the protection circuit works for things like the lights and other car accessories. But from my experience, it does not work for the 12v outlets.
In my truck it shuts everything off, including memory in the stereo.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts