GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't want to take the car to the dealer for something stupid so any help would be appreciated. We have a 2008 Acadia and the 115V rear power outlet does not work. I read through the owner's manual and I did not see that there was any switch that needed to be flipped or whether the screen had to be down, DVD screen on, rear radio controls activated etc. I also checked the fuse panel and there were no problems there. Am I missing something or does it just plain not work? Any help would be greatly appreciated. I don't want to go in and have them tell me it doesn't work because it is not turned on. I am pretty mechanically adept and for the life of me can't figure this one out.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
You will not believe this

I got my answer when I took my Acadia to the dealership ... drum roll ... they forgot to install the option. That's right, they installed the socket but forgot to install the inverter, the bracket and the wiring behind it. All of the parts are on order and they will fix it when the parts come in.

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts
Re: You will not believe this

schaefsn said:
I got my answer when I took my Acadia to the dealership ... drum roll ... they forgot to install the option. That's right, they installed the socket but forgot to install the inverter, the bracket and the wiring behind it. All of the parts are on order and they will fix it when the parts come in.
WOW gotta love it

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Yikes. Guess I should plug something into mine and make sure it works! Haven't used it yet in 1 year of ownership.

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
It is a good idea to try out everything on the car. This is true of anything you buy. In the house we bought, we found out 3 years later that the sump pump was never wired. Thank goodness it was when I was cleaning it out and there were no major problems, but it is on us to check out all the options before the warranty runs out. :)

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts
GAR said:
It is a good idea to try out everything on the car. This is true of anything you buy. In the house we bought, we found out 3 years later that the sump pump was never wired. Thank goodness it was when I was cleaning it out and there were no major problems, but it is on us to check out all the options before the warranty runs out. :)
Funny you mention that, I bought a townhouse brand new in October. Come June/July I turned on the AC and the air was moving but it wasn't very cold. Called the builder, found the AC compressor wasn't wired, the wires were there, they just never made the connections in the unit. DOAH

·
Premium Member
3,212 Posts
Re: You will not believe this

schaefsn said:
You must have got a "Monday" car. ;D The line workers must not have been awake yet.

I know its not a "Friday" car, because mine is one and my outlet works. :beer:

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
GeoHawk -
Thanks to your incredible contributions to this forum and its members I have come to the conclusion that, based on my build date, I received a "disgruntled autoworker's first day back from from strike car." Build date was 5/21/2008. Despite this hiccup we love our Acadia. The service manager called me laughing after they diagnosed the problem.

Scott

·
Registered
156 Posts
"You must have got a "Monday" car. The line workers must not have been awake yet. I know its not a "Friday" car, because mine is one and my outlet works."

For the best quality, and less problems, what is the best day of the week for a car to be made? And are these vehicles completed in one day. I would think that production spans over several days, and that the production date only reflects the date of completion of the vehicle. Thanks

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts
I believe the vehicle is built in one day. I believe the order is specified a production week, and is started at some point, then completed in One day.

DonWillems of the Lansing Delta plant could probably answer for sure.

·
Premium Member
3,212 Posts
alphadog1 said:
For the best quality, and less problems, what is the best day of the week for a car to be made?
The old thinking was that you wanted to get a vehicle built either Tuesday, Wednesday, or Thursday. Monday and Friday cars were bad news because of the effects of the weekend activities of the line workers. But with all the quality control programs in place nowadays, I don't think it really matters what day its built. It's just kinda fun to joke about it though.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Thank you for buying our product and I am sorry you have had this trouble with your Acadia.

Don’t quote me on this, but I think we might have already heard about this one thru our field warrantee work feed-back system. This is a cool system that is our link to issues the dealer might be having in the field with our product and allows us to react to it.

The Monday build vs. the Friday build thing really doesn’t apply anymore. Repeatability and Built In Quality have come a long way since I first hired in here 26 years ago. Quality checks area done on critical parts (seatbelt nut torque or wheel nut torque, etc.) on a 100% basis thru the use of computer controlled torque guns that shut the line down if everything is not up to spec. These guns are calibrated on a regular basis and these critical torques are check by hand intermittently during each shift. This is just an example of one critical area we check.

Another thing we use is Error Proofing. For example let’s say you have three different symbols or names you could apply to a vehicle but each one goes on a different vehicle, as in our case with the Enclave, Outlook and Acadia. Make the attachment process slightly different for each vehicle, not so much as to create three different systems but just enough so one name or symbol can’t be attached to the wrong vehicle. The operator simply can’t put the wrong name on the wrong vehicle. This is a simple example and Error Proofing gets much more complex than that.

Some non-critical quality checks are moved, added or changed to keep pace with Continuous Improvement.

Quick synapses or our quality system, sorry to be so wordy.

Thanks again, Don.

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts
Thanks for stopping in Don, it is always nice to get your assistance.

don willems said:
Another thing we use is Error Proofing. For example let’s say you have three different symbols or names you could apply to a vehicle but each one goes on a different vehicle, as in our case with the Enclave, Outlook and Acadia. Make the attachment process slightly different for each vehicle, not so much as to create three different systems but just enough so one name or symbol can’t be attached to the wrong vehicle. The operator simply can’t put the wrong name on the wrong vehicle.
That would be kind of cool having Acadia on the door, Outlook on the back, and the Buick logo on the grill. Would that be worth more $ like the reverse negative baseball cards that are out there..... sorry off topic.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.