GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One feature that I now wish I had is the 110 V power outlet (located in the second row control console) :banghead:. Does anyone know if it was pre-wired at the factory? Any chance of adding it post-delivery?

·
Registered
37 Posts
This is one item that I have refused other offers from the dealership for. A must with kids and tailgating.

However, I could be wrong, but I do not think you can do this aftermarket. Not unless you have someone totally professional do it. (Not me)

·
Registered
403 Posts
Buy an adapter for about 1/3rd the cost. :thumb: Mine has another A/C port and a "regular" 110 outlet. Just plug it into the A/C and you're good to go.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Yes, I bought a Black and Decker unit that plugs into a powerpoint and converts to 110V for $17.00 on my last car, like the built in one, though :blob:

·
Registered
119 Posts
Has anyone experienced any problems with the adapters? Seems many people I know who've used them say they've burned out on them. The ones you plug in the power adapter (cigarette lighters) can only carry a limited amount of amperage because of the smaller wires.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Acustk5 said:
Has anyone experienced any problems with the adapters? Seems many people I know who've used them say they've burned out on them. The ones you plug in the power adapter (cigarette lighters) can only carry a limited amount of amperage because of the smaller wires.
I just read in the manual that the max power for the built in 120v supply is 150w. At 12v that is drawing 12.5a, if my math is correct. (W = VxA) I think that is near or at the max you would be able to plug into a cigarette lighter. Converters that power devices over this recommend a direct battery connection.

I don't think there is any magic with the built in 120v power to justify the $175 MSRP over a $20 converter from Pep Boys. You're just paying for the feature and having it built in OEM. I only got it because its part of the SLT-2 package.

Others on this board have successfully installed the nav system, so as long as one could secure the correct parts, one should be able to install the 120v power pretty easily.

·
Registered
269 Posts
I suppose the built in one is handy, but mine too is from the SLT2 package. Ironic thing is that on a trip, if I need to charge a laptop, camcorder, or camera, I will be using a $29 inverter plugged into the rear 12v anyway. The center console one will be handy when we start taking videogames on trips (if they will even run on 150W).

And as far as portables burning up, mine was super cheap about 8-9 years ago and it has circuit protection in it. I have had to reset it once, but no issues. It isn't used frequently, but has been reliable going from car to car to car to RV.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
I never had a problem with the adapter burning out when it was plugged in. We used our laptop with it and played movies. The problem occurred when my kids left it unplugged in the car during the summer. It did fry then! The plug was mutliated. I wouldn't be afraid to try it in the Acadia.

·
Registered
154 Posts
The important thing to realize is that the capacity is very limited. Don't expect to plug in a hair dryer.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts