GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,259 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our Acadia has the Entertainment pkg with the "10 speaker plus subwoofer" Bose system. For the life of me, though, I can't locate the 10th speaker. There's one in the center of the dash, 1 in each A pillar, 1 each in the 4 doors and one on either side of the third row seat. That's 9 total. Anyone know where the 10th speaker and the subwoofer are located? I'm guess they could be under the third row seat or something, but not sure...

·
Registered
26 Posts
I could be wrong but I'm guessing the 10th speaker is the subwoofer that you can't locate. I don't have the answer to where it is but I would bet it's the 10th speaker. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

·
Registered
794 Posts
On your equalizer - kick your bass all the way up. Turn treble and midranges down. Find some hard rock. Kick up the volume. i would think you could identify what part of the car the subwoofer is playing.

·
Registered
310 Posts
sandman said:
On your equalizer - kick your bass all the way up. Turn treble and midranges down. Find some hard rock. Kick up the volume. i would think you could identify what part of the car the subwoofer is playing.
I would think that would be a pretty hard way to determine. Subwoofer vibration penetrates everything and the source becomes hard to determine. I know in my house when the subwoofer is really going, it is almost as loud on the opposite side of the house as the AV room, and you cannot tell where in the AV room it is.

·
Registered
794 Posts
good point. i wonder if working the fader and balance switches would give a clue? Maybe don't have the volume up to high

·
Registered
15 Posts
It is a 10 speaker system. Two in A-Pillar, One center of dash, two in front doors, two in rear doors, two by third seat. The tenth is the subwoofer which is located under the center console (towards the dash from what I recall). You get Dolby Digital / DTS processing when you get the rear seat DVD (aka 5.1).[/color]

·
Premium Member
2,259 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ahh, interesting. So unlike home surround systems, which have numbers like 5.1 or 7.1, the number of speakers here includes the sub. Gotcha. I'll have to take a look and see if I can locate that subwoofer where you suggested. Thanks!

·
Registered
15 Posts
The Dolby Digital & DTS processor can be just like you have at home. In other words, the Bose system when combined with the rear seat DVD will send the .1 channel (LFE or as some would call it "the bass channel") to the sub, just as your home theater does. I would imagine that the other speakers are not receiving a full range signal so the bass is cut off from them and routed to the sub through the LFE channel.

The other 5 discrete channels are played through the remaining 9 speakers. Most likely the one in the center of the dash is getting the center channel signal. The left front main channel is sent to the left A-Pillar and left front door, the right front main channel is sent to the right A-Pillar and right front door. The two remaining channels (left rear / right rear) would most likely be sent to the left rear passenger door / third seat speaker and the right rear passenger door / third seat speaker.

Too bad it is not using a 7.1 processor as it would then use the second seat door speakers for left / right surround and then the third seat speakers for the left rear / right rear surround. Oh well :)[/color]

·
Registered
360 Posts
Scotty said:
It is a 10 speaker system. Two in A-Pillar, One center of dash, two in front doors, two in rear doors, two by third seat. The tenth is the subwoofer which is located under the center console (towards the dash from what I recall). You get Dolby Digital / DTS processing when you get the rear seat DVD (aka 5.1).[/color]
Interesting....Thanks!

Adam Boca

·
Registered
11 Posts
So, can you actually hear the bass out of the subwoofer when using "regular" radio/XM/CD's? I can't seem to hear very much bass at all in this system at any time. And that's even with the bass turned all the way up to try to compensate. (Just picked up my Acadia on Friday the 13th!). Is it really in the center console?

Sounds silly, but I am wondering if it really exists. So far I am not impressed with the sound quality of the system and am hoping it's because there is a problem with the subwoofer...

Be interested to see comments regarding this. Thanks.

·
Registered
40 Posts
As I recall, our inside GMC person on this forum said it was under the center dash. His response is somewhere on this forum.
I've had my Acadia for one week, and sound system seems fine. I don't have bass rattling windows, but adjusted it so that it is definately there. XM sounds great, and so do CD's. :)

·
Registered
61 Posts
Re: Sound System quality

I have the Bose system without NAV, and to be honest I thought the sound quality would have been better. XM at times sounds great - and other times sounds average at best. Most noticeable is the muddiness of everything at low volume. Hey, I love to crank it but can't always do so with family in the car. It does sound much better when you increase the volume. I'm running with manual EQ settings Treb +6 bass +4 Bal & Fad @ zero or center positions. I would not call it a 'premium' system by any means! :help:

Love to hear some more comments.

·
Registered
794 Posts
I have really found that there is a difference in which xm station you are playing as to the quality of sounds. 71 seems to have a great sound.

·
Premium Member
2,259 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
dmalerba - Yes, The Acadia has MUCH more bass than my G35's BOSE system without subwoofer. It's very obvious that it's there. Like other said, not exactly 12" woofers that will rattle your fillings, but a pretty strong punch normally. It does come from under the center dash (basically to the right of your accelerator pedal). If you turn the bass al the way up and listen down there and don't feel it, have your system checked out.

NNJSteve - as posted in another thread, there are TONS of complaints about sound quality from both XM and Sirius. The consensus seems to be that it's far inferior to FM at this point in time under most circumstances. It's definitely best to test out the Stereo with a CD you've played in other car stereos before for a more accurate comparison.

·
Registered
45 Posts
NNJSteve, what is your mid equalizer setting? That may be your issue. When I moved mine up to +2 it made a significnat improvement. There is more than treble and bass to adjust on the equalizer.

·
Registered
61 Posts
shogun95 said:
NNJSteve, what is your mid equalizer setting? That may be your issue. When I moved mine up to +2 it made a significnat improvement. There is more than treble and bass to adjust on the equalizer.
I'm pretty sure my MID is about there ... around +2 or +3 ... and I agree some XM stations (even different songs) sound better than others. I have yet to be in the Acadia long enough to enjoy one of my fav CD's, tho. My wife is the primary driver.

·
Premium Member
2,259 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
luvmyacadia said:
'TONS of complaints about sound quality from both XM and Sirius'

Out of curiosity, what is your definition of 'tons'?
I did a quick google search and posted the first 6 links I came across, which were mostly audio or XM related forums. Each of those had anywhere from 5 to 50 complaints. So I stopped counting in the 100s, but there were about 65000 results returned in google ;)

·
Registered
305 Posts
admin said:
luvmyacadia said:
'TONS of complaints about sound quality from both XM and Sirius'

Out of curiosity, what is your definition of 'tons'?
I did a quick google search and posted the first 6 links I came across, which were mostly audio or XM related forums. Each of those had anywhere from 5 to 50 complaints. So I stopped counting in the 100s, but there were about 65000 results returned in google ;)
Some of what you read has to be taken with a grain of salt. You have Sirius shareholders saying Sirus is better and XM sucks and XM shareholders saying XM is better and Sirius sucks. I have subscriptions to both and their are certain things about both that I like. We get a lot of enjoyment for the price of a few cups of Starbucks coffee.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts