GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To say I'm happy with my Acadia is truly an understatement.

Major impressions at 10,000 miles....

-Truly a wonderful road trip vehicle. I've taken four trips of over 500 miles, and the Acadia is a joy on such excursions. Passengers have raved. Had a friend take the wheel for three hours on one trip, and he now plans to buy an Acadia. Mileage on these trips has averaged right at 22 (AWD). Driving this vehicle does not tire me out. Terrific ergonomics in the driver compartment.

- Once accustomed to the transmission, I've been happy with the acceleration. I know when to give it a little extra, and the power is there.

- Handling has been rock solid. Despite its girth, the Acadia is nimble, and there is a clear sense of control.

- I've carried seven adults, and the three in the back marveled at the space.

- Folding seats and sliding second row captains have worked flawlessly.

- I've grown accustomed to the chrome trim glare, but it needs to be modified.

- Acadia continues to be a head-turner. I get comments daily.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I can't wait to get mine! Now I wish they'd settle the strike so my vehicle can move from "produced" status to "delivered".

·
Registered
70 Posts
Great review--thanks! :thumb: I just reached 12,000 miles, and my experience has been the same as yours. The biggest surprise is the number of compliments and questions we get almost everywhere we go--many more than we ever got with our Mercedes ML320! :blob:

·
Registered
403 Posts
Agree on the glare, mine gets me in my driver's side mirror, I sometimes think someone is coming up beside me, but it's just the reflection off the driver's side vent.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Excellent review - It's great to hear it's what you thought and you don't have any buyer's remorse. I'm only concerned about the space. I have an Expedition now and my wife won't compromise on space. I showed her the facts that it holds the same amount but you put them side by side and the Expy just engulfs the Acadia. How can I best show her - stuff it with 10 suitcases?

·
Registered
752 Posts
The other day I dropped the two rear seats and crammed a single hospital bed in the back and closed the gate! What she needs to do is DRIVE IT!! That is where the difference really shows. Or try a U-turn and realize that you can actually make it in one turn.

·
Registered
956 Posts
I would have to agree with your review. We have had ours a little over 10,000 and I think it is probably as comfortable a car as I've ever owned. I don't drive ours much, but when I do I have no problem finding a comfortable position for as long as I'm in the car. I have not had the reflash yet, but for the most part the transmission is not a big deal. I've learned to work around the current programming of the trans and find the performance of the vehicle acceptable. This engine likes to rev and will pull well up to 7000 rpm for passing or merging on to a freeway. It does not have the low down grunt of a V8, but most V6's do not.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I've had the additional reprogram for the transmission since I wrote the above review, and performance is even better. More responsive around 35-45 mph. Quicker downshift.

I have an interstate ramp I use frequently that is a short merge and uphill. When I step on it to enter I-64, "Smokey" jumps from 35 to 70 like a champ.

For cegledi....Take your wife for a test drive and work the rear two rows. The space is obvious when you see it firsthand.

·
Registered
425 Posts
I just hit the 300 mile mark...took it up to the lake over the weekend for some boating. The boat was already docked up there, so I didn't tow it...this time. The kids enjoyed the DVD player for appx. 20 minutes before they both crashed and fell asleep (with headphones on). I was driving my wife nuts by listening to ESPN Radio...but I think the real problem was that she was learning how to knit...and kept screwing up...so of course it was MY fault.

Anyway, the drive was extremely pleasant...had to take it through the car wash this morning to get rid of the bug goo on the front...now she looks brand new again. The black interior shows everything...so I'm going to have to purchase a rechargable handheld vacuum. However, I wouldn't change my mind on the interior...I absolutely love the black interior.

I haven't had any issues with the trans...so I'm guessing that mine had the reflash or was built with the new software reflash already since it was built a couple weeks ago.

·
Registered
752 Posts
By the way, once the kids are asleep. Your wife can take the headphones, recline her seat and listen to a completely different source then your espn. You can't unfortunately pick up the headphone signals while sitting upright in the front seats.

·
Registered
384 Posts
fenwah said:
I just hit the 300 mile mark...took it up to the lake over the weekend for some boating. The boat was already docked up there, so I didn't tow it...this time. The kids enjoyed the DVD player for appx. 20 minutes before they both crashed and fell asleep (with headphones on). I was driving my wife nuts by listening to ESPN Radio...but I think the real problem was that she was learning how to knit...and kept screwing up...so of course it was MY fault.

Anyway, the drive was extremely pleasant...had to take it through the car wash this morning to get rid of the bug goo on the front...now she looks brand new again. The black interior shows everything...so I'm going to have to purchase a rechargable handheld vacuum. However, I wouldn't change my mind on the interior...I absolutely love the black interior.

I haven't had any issues with the trans...so I'm guessing that mine had the reflash or was built with the new software reflash already since it was built a couple weeks ago.
fenwah: What is your build date on your 08? Have you had any issues with it at all? I'm hoping they have worked out the kinks by this year's model.

·
Registered
492 Posts
cegledi said:
Excellent review - It's great to hear it's what you thought and you don't have any buyer's remorse. I'm only concerned about the space. I have an Expedition now and my wife won't compromise on space. I showed her the facts that it holds the same amount but you put them side by side and the Expy just engulfs the Acadia. How can I best show her - stuff it with 10 suitcases?
Trust me. We traded our 03 4X4 Eddie Bauer Expedition for the Acadia.

Not only does the Acadia have more room behind the 3rd row, those in the 3rd row have more room as well.

The Cadia blows the Expedition away in ride & comfort.

And the MPG kicks the Ford's butt.
I had a 100 mile one way trip this weekend. I made this same trip with the Expedition about a year ago. I remember it well as I had recorded the best MPG (DIC) of the Fords life. I took it easy on a route that had few stops. When I had a stop coming up I would knock it into neutral and coast. Then take off real, real slow watching the MPG. I had filled up just before the trip and the MPG was showing 20 MPG when I got there. After that and the ride home I ended up with 16 MPH round trip.

The Acadia had 20 miles on the board around town before the same trip, I hammered it on the way over & got 22 MPG. Hammered it on the way home and ended up with 21+ round trip. (DIC)

The Expedition had a V8 with 25hp more, but the cadia performs as well and rides soooo much better.

PS: don't ya just love filling up that 28 gal Ford tank?

·
Registered
51 Posts
I'm not saying I ain't looking forward to trading in the Expy for the Acadia; not at all. I've really enjoyed my Expy and will miss it. Sitting in it feels like I'm sitting in a stadium. I know the Acadia equals the space of the Expy and look forward to the V-6 MPG. However, if I ever needed to tow something 9,000 lbs - I'll have to borrow my friend's F150. In the four years I owned my Expy - I've never towed more than a pop-up Coleman camper (2,000 lbs) so don't think I'll need to tell my grandkids (in twenty years) - one day grandpoppa towed a boat and a house on the back of good ole Expy. I'm looking forward to the Acadia. Just waiting for good interest rate specials.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am in the market for a new truck. I am very skeptical of buying a domestic SUV. HAve had great luck with my 4Runner,but I think the Arcadia would really be perfect for my family & I. So it appears that after 10,000 miles you guys are still happy with the vehicle and have had no problems? Thoughts please. Thanks

·
Registered
83 Posts
I traded a Toyota for my '08 SLT-1. I miss it, a 2000 Tacoma Extended Cab TRD 4x4, V-6 automatic, but it didn't fit my needs anymore, and after about a year of looking and researching, the Acadia did fit my needs. I was very nervous about buying a GM domestic, my first in twenty years. I've got to say, I'm pleased with it. Look around at even the smaller car-based SUV's, the price, the mileage, the interior space and the styling. Even against the new Highlander, it's tough to beat the Acadia, imho. The interior materials and textures are different, and require some getting accustomed to, coming out of a Toyota, but it's very well thought out and well styled, so I can't complain too much. It's more "cushy" than any Toyota, outside of maybe the Avalon sedan or possibly a loaded Sienna, speaking of the overall personality of it, rather than the ride quality of the suspension, which is well-controlled but exceedingly smooth at highway speeds. I honestly think Toyota's styling is getting a bit odd of late, plus they've slipped a little on the quality side, too. There is no comparable vehicle to the Acadia from Toyota, with the Highlander being smaller with worse mileage (other than the hybrid) and the same or higher price, the Sequoia being truck-based with comparable seating and a little more interior volume, but poor mileage by comparison, or the 4Runner, which doesn't come close on interior volume or mileage, and is at least as expensive when comparably equipped. Closest thing from a Japanese manufacturer would be the Honda Pilot, and I never liked the looks of it, too blocky and utilitarian on the outside, interior's nice enough if you like gray (and I don't); the third row's a squeeze too.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts