GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The 09's are now direct injected. There are problems with some of the German made direct injected engines with deposits forming
on the intake valves and above. The deposits come from unburnt gases redirected into the intake (to be reburnt) thru the PCV system. Normally these deposits would be partially cleaned from the additives in the fuel. But with direct injection, the fuel no longer comes in contact with these parts above the piston level.

I have read that this is a real issue, making it important to do an intake carbon cleaning on a regular basis.

So is this something to watch out for, or am I looking for an issue that isn't there?

I ususally use a fuel additive that cleans and lubricates called Fuel Power, but from my understanding of how these engines work, I won't be
getting the full benefit of the additives.

·
Registered
540 Posts
mrfiero said:
The 09's are now direct injected. There are problems with some of the German made direct injected engines with deposits forming
on the intake valves and above. The deposits come from unburnt gases redirected into the intake (to be reburnt) thru the PCV system. Normally these deposits would be partially cleaned from the additives in the fuel. But with direct injection, the fuel no longer comes in contact with these parts above the piston level.

I have read that this is a real issue, making it important to do an intake carbon cleaning on a regular basis.

So is this something to watch out for, or am I looking for an issue that isn't there?

I ususally use a fuel additive that cleans and lubricates called Fuel Power, but from my understanding of how these engines work, I won't be
getting the full benefit of the additives.
That is a good question. This is my first DI engine. I know the pcv system would gum up the older throttle body's but that would be easy to clean. Build up on the intake valve I think would be minimal but don't hold me to that.

Bobby

1 - 2 of 2 Posts