GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know a few here mentioned the vain hope that an electronic module from an 09 for Bluetooth might be able to be added on the sly to an 07/08. Any hope to this since we have now seen in the system in action in an 09 or is the obvious integration with the DIC etc. too much to do for a mod. I want Bluetooth in my 08 and held out just long enough to see if this is possible, if not I will go with one of the less elegant aftermarket soultions... thanks.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I don't know if the '09 setup will work in an '08 but...

A friend of mine developed an Onstar -> Bluetooth conversion kit for all Class 2 GM vehicles (Basically all GM's to '07 except the Acadia) that simply plugs in, in place of the Onstar module. It turns your Onstar mirror buttons into a Bluetooth kit - uses the Onstar microphone, and stock stereo system for audio (mutes when a call comes in, etc) Takes about 30 seconds to install, can easily be uninstalled, and best of all, no aftermarket junk glued to your dash!

Right now he's ramping up production on the first generation of the product for the older GMs. But since he has access to an Acadia (My '08, that is) he'll be working on a GMLAN version next. It may be a few months until it's available, but stay tuned - it will become available.

You can check out his website - www.CoSTARtech.com
Send him an email if you're interested - more buzz will make him do it faster!

·
Registered
262 Posts
joecool said:
I don't know if the '09 setup will work in an '08 but...

A friend of mine developed an Onstar -> Bluetooth conversion kit for all Class 2 GM vehicles (Basically all GM's to '07 except the Acadia) that simply plugs in, in place of the Onstar module. It turns your Onstar mirror buttons into a Bluetooth kit - uses the Onstar microphone, and stock stereo system for audio (mutes when a call comes in, etc) Takes about 30 seconds to install, can easily be uninstalled, and best of all, no aftermarket junk glued to your dash!

Right now he's ramping up production on the first generation of the product for the older GMs. But since he has access to an Acadia (My '08, that is) he'll be working on a GMLAN version next. It may be a few months until it's available, but stay tuned - it will become available.

You can check out his website - www.CoSTARtech.com
Send him an email if you're interested - more buzz will make him do it faster!
Wow, if he can pull that off, I'm willing to be he'll make some good $$$ due to lots of interest.

·
Registered
381 Posts
He should create a "lockpick" device vs a no-Onstar option.

Coastal Tech lockpick devices are essentially "off" until you press a specific button sequence to override the specific "features" you don't want.

My Scosche IPOD device is connected serial between the XM box and the NAV screen. Pressing and holding a specific button allows the Scosche device to overide the XM box and allow my IPOD to replace XM. Menu options on the Nav allow me to reselect XM if I want (and "turn off" the Scosche device) which returns my Nav to the default funtionality.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Jake_99 said:
He should create a "lockpick" device vs a no-Onstar option.
I don't know if something like this would really make sense though. To get the best functionality out of the system, you'd want the bluetooth to be "active" most of the time meaning that it's connected to your phone and ready to answer incoming calls, etc. I don't see how it would work as well if the bluetooth system is off most of the time. I suppose you could do it the other way around and have the bluetooth system active by default unless the user overrides and wants to use OnStar.

On a side note, I couldn't see where it says how many bt devices could be paired to the system.
Also, it would be really nice if they could show the incoming phone number on the DIC or NAV.

·
Registered
381 Posts
There's nothing stopping a BT Lockpick from being "ON" - but it only interferes with onstar upon call receipt or outgoing request.

That's essentially what the BT is doing in the 09's. It's using On-Star's existing hardware to act as the user interface between the BT unit and the phone user.

I guess the trick for the BT lockpick would have to have the capability to spoof an incoming call. But a button sequence to do outgoing calls doesn't seem too impossible.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just shot him a email the relpy is promising can't wait

"We are indeed working on a unit for the 2008 Acadia. IT should be ready before the end of the year. Keep an eye on the website for updates."

·
Registered
250 Posts
Just sent an email to them. Every 07/08 owners should send them an email! :blob:

·
Registered
60 Posts
preytor said:
Just sent an email to them. Every 07/08 owners should send them an email! :blob:
I sent one two weeks ago and I am waited with baited breath for its arrival. Seems like a great concept and easy install.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts