17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We just bought an 09 Acadia from Hendrick GMC in Cary, NC

2009 Acadia SLT
Headliner 
DVD,
 no 
Nav

We are running into a problem with the DVD, where the kids are watching a DVD while we are driving. We stop at a store and turn off the car with the DVD still playing. After leaving the store, we all pile in the Acadia, start the car and press the Play button to start the DVD backup for the kiddos. The DVD audio always comes on, but the screen comes on with DVD-video sometimes and other times comes on (you can tell that it's powered (ie backlit) ), but the screen is blank. I have to grab the remote and hit the power button twice (once to turn off the screen, then again to turn it back on) for the DVD video to come back on.

I'm thinking that it's related to this internal GM bulletin:

====================

06-08-44-035B: Rear DVD Screen Off After Ignition Key is Cycled-Operating Instructions - (Dec 3, 2008)

http://gsi.xw.gm.com/image_en_us/gif/000/999/999/999999995.gif Subject:Rear DVD Screen Off After Ignition Key is Cycled -- Operating Instructions

Models:2007-2009 Buick Enclave
2007-2009 Cadillac Escalade, Escalade ESV, Escalade EXT
2007-2009 Chevrolet Avalanche, Silverado (Crew Cab Only), Suburban, Tahoe
2009 Chevrolet Traverse
2007-2009 GMC Acadia, Sierra (Crew Cab Only), Yukon, Yukon XL, Yukon Denali, Yukon Denali XL
2007-2009 HUMMER H2, H2 SUT
2007-2009 Saturn Outlook

Attention: This bulletin is for non-NAV radios only.

This bulletin is being revised to add model years and models. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 06-08-44-035A (Section 08 -- Body & Accessories).

Some customers may comment that the rear DVD screen will not turn back ON after an ignition key cycle.
This is a normal operating characteristic and no repairs should be made to the DVD screen.

Advise the customer to either:

1. Eject and re-insert the disc into the radio. This method will restart the media from the beginning.
2. Press the power (ON/OFF) button on the remote control to turn ON the DVD screen.

====================

The way that this bulletin is worded, makes me nervous. Specifically the words "some customers" and "may comment" and "this is normal".

We bought the Acadia since it had more passenger volume (ie more interior space) than a Taurus X or Highlander, had the same MPG and the features looked really good. I looked past the GM stigma in the media and am determined to be happy with the Acadia. However, this DVD issue is driving me (and my kids) crazy.

We just bought the car last week and they have already replaced the headliner DVD and radio with new ones....and now we are going back a 2nd time for them to "look at it"

If we can't get this fixed, we will probably (unfortunately) return the Acadia and get a Highlander.

Hoping someone can help me shed some light on this issue.

Also, I'm hoping my story ends happy (with the Acadia in my driveway)

Thanks,
Mike

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
You're going to trade a vehicle because you have to hit a button twice on a remote control when you get back in the car?

To each his own, but wow, just wow.

·
Registered
6,233 Posts
Loac- I'm with you on this one. It's not possible that a Toyota could have a similar issue. Sure.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
In my defense: $40k cash is a good chuck of money.

I expect everything to work and expect to be totally satisfied. At least for the first few weeks...

Am I really asking to much here? Or should I just "deal with it"...which seems to be the attitude we have come to live with.

Thanks,
Mike

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
I understand your frustration, but to me there is a difference between major problems and minor annoyances. If you couldn't get your DVD player to work at all on restart or if it started over at the beginning of the DVD and you had to re-select the scene you were on, then I'd think you have a major complaint. But your problem sounds more like a minor functionality glitch, for which you have already identified a pretty simple workaround. If that's the biggest problem you ever have with your Acadia (or any other vehicle), I think you'll end up pretty pleased.

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
Mike,
Welcome to the forum. I have removed your other two identical posts, as they provide the same information as this one. I'm moving this thread since it has replies to the Audio/Video/Nav section since that is what the post concerns.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Blue -
Thanks for moving my post here. I'm a newbie so I posted in other areas I saw fit. No worries.

loach -
Not buying it. I'm not loyal to any car brand (as you seem to be).
I have the Acadia......and an Acura and a Ford (with their own normal "annoyances" that came after some time)

Again, not looking for comfort here...or "hope you feel better" or "it's not that big a deal" or that this is a "normal level of annoyance".
I'm looking for a fix, suggestion or for someone from GM to say something (which I doubt)
OR, hopefully for someone that has run into this before to pass along what they did to resolve it.

Since, there is no way for me to talk to someone in GM vehicle engineering support (or similar group), I'm hoping to have luck here.

Thanks for the attention given.
- Mike

·
Registered
12 Posts
Mike,

When you turn off the unit and then back on, does the player remember where you stopped or does it cycle back to the main menu and then you have to use scene selection to get back to where you were?

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
mikewatkins3 said:
loach -
Not buying it. I'm not loyal to any car brand (as you seem to be).
I have the Acadia......and an Acura and a Ford (with their own normal "annoyances" that came after some time)
Loyal to a car brand? :D You must not have read my signature and you certainly haven't read many of my posts. There are many GM loyalists on this forum, but I'm not one of them. I own a GMC, Nissan and Honda. My Acadia replaced a Dodge. I've also owned a Ford and a Chrysler.

I buy the car that I like the most and fits my needs.

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
loach said:
Loyal to a car brand? :D You must not have read my signature and you certainly haven't read many of my posts. There are many GM loyalists on this forum, but I'm not one of them. I own a GMC, Nissan and H***a. My Acadia replaced a Dodge. I've also owned a F**d and a Chrysler.

I buy the car that I like the most and fits my needs.
Maverick: I had the shot. There was no danger, so I took it.
Viper: You took it, and broke a major rule of engagement!

I'm in pretty much the same boat, except I'm pretty loyal to an engine brand. I buy the car that I can afford and put a Chevy V8 into it. :)

No problem Mike, enjoy your stay here & I'm sure you can get some help. There is helpful info for new members in the Blues Clues link in my signature.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
loach -
You are right, I didn't read your signature. :) I'll be sure to keep everyone updated as to how this goes.
Again, newbie here...

jtsh -
We get back in the car and crank it. Then I press Play on the DVD/radio main unit.
The DVD-Audio comes on and the screen powers on, either with DVD-Video (as expected) or blank.
When I say blank, the DVD screen IS powered (ie backlit) but the screen is blank.
It's really hit or miss. with no regularity.

I basically wait for my kids to start yelling "Daddy, I can hear the movie but can't see it" (They are 2 and 4 yrs. old)
If they don't yell that, BOTH the DVD-Audio & DVD-Video came on (as expected)
If they yell "Daddy, I can hear the movie but can't see it" - I then have to get out, walk around to the 2nd row, open the door and point remote at the headliner DVD and press the power button twice. Once to turn off the DVD screen (the DVD-Audio continues to play)...then once to turn the DVD screen back on. When I do this the DVD-Video ALWAYS comes on. So this workaround works.

What's strange is this whole scenario happens with no regularity. Sometimes the DVD screen (DVD-Video) comes on after several key/ignition cycles, then it will randomly not work and I have to do the remote trick, then might work the next engine crank...

Strange...

HTH,
- Mike

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
mikewatkins3 said:
I basically wait for my kids to start yelling "Daddy, I can hear the movie but can't see it" (They are 2 and 4 yrs. old)
If they don't yell that, BOTH the DVD-Audio & DVD-Video came on (as expected)
If they yell "Daddy, I can hear the movie but can't see it" - I then have to get out, walk around to the 2nd row, open the door and point remote at the headliner DVD and press the power button twice. Once to turn off the DVD screen (the DVD-Audio continues to play)...then once to turn the DVD screen back on. When I do this the DVD-Video ALWAYS comes on. So this workaround works.
OK, that description is clearer than your first description of the problem. If you have to actually exit the vehicle to use the remote control, that's certainly annoying (although I still can't say it would annoy me enough to trade a vehicle). The remote doesn't work from the front of the vehicle? Pardon my ignorance but I don't have the DVD.

·
Registered
156 Posts
loach said:
OK, that description is clearer than your first description of the problem. If you have to actually exit the vehicle to use the remote control, that's certainly annoying (although I still can't say it would annoy me enough to trade a vehicle). The remote doesn't work from the front of the vehicle? Pardon my ignorance but I don't have the DVD.
right, the remote has to be pointed at the front edge of the dvd screen....the sensor is actually not on the flip down screen but on the plastic part that stays on the ceiling, and then its on the back edge of it....so its more like pointing it at the ceiling and not at the screen...if your in the second row sitting you have to hold the remote up at the ceiling and point it strait alot of times to get it to pick up! Have you tried holding in the power button on the radio until it is off and a lock logo appears on the screen? then turning it back on! That seems to fix the auto problems at times!

·
Registered
131 Posts
I'm going to say that I definitely would be pissed. The rear entertainment DVD is a $1000-$1200 option that should work correctly and not have such bugs, especially when it is a package that is used as a selling feature - and in many cases is essentially forced on the buyer b/c it's either the rear DVD or DVD/Nav that is factory installed.

If I go and buy a $1000 laptop and the picture only comes up if I boot, then reboot the system, I'd be upset. Sorry, but $1000 dollars is $1000 no matter how you look at it (even if it's a fraction of a $40k purchase).

Not to mention that there are threads by users reporting similar issues from the 2007 Acadias! Sorry, but after 3 years of production, these issues should not be occurring.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Mike,

You are absolutely right on and Mtnbound is on it as well. Quite frankly, GM has absolutely dropped the ball with respect to their entertainment systems - headunits and rear seat systems. It is almost as if they were an afterthought. They spend all this time and money on engineering these Lambdas and then they put in absolutely inferior systems. GM's explaination in the service bulletin is almost laughable.

"Some customers may comment that the rear DVD screen will not turn back ON after an ignition key cycle.
This is a normal operating characteristic and no repairs should be made to the DVD screen.

Advise the customer to either:

1. Eject and re-insert the disc into the radio. This method will restart the media from the beginning.
2. Press the power (ON/OFF) button on the remote control to turn ON the DVD screen
."

What kind of half-a#$ed answer is that? Obviously the guys that wrote this brilliant remedy don't have children - because if they did, they would realize after about 10 seconds, children don't understand why you have to start the dvd all over again and what a royal inconvenience it is to have to get out of the vehicle to do it.

It is more an attitude of "just deal with it" and hope that you just go away. What good cd player, dvd player, receiver, headunit - whether it be auto, home, marine etc. cuts off like that and the remedy is to turn it off or eject the disc? Does Alpine, Dennon, Kenwood, Pioneer, or Sony put out equipment like that - No, because they would be out of business real fast if they did. If you bought this dvd player as a stand alone unit or anything else for that matter and it fails - what would you do? Well, I would return it for either a new unit or something comparable - but that's me, I realize not everyone would do that. Why shouldn't you do that now? Oh, that's right, it's GM so just accept their archaic way of "doing business". Is it any wonder why the company is failing?

Mike, I will go out on a limb here and guess that unless the dealer replaces the unit, there will be no fix - because the unit is DEFECTIVE - that is NOT normal operation regardless of how the manufacturer wants to spin it. You have every right to demand the install of a new unit, receive a credit for this piece of garbage and have an aftermarket unit installed properly, or return the vehicle. Some people may say that's going to extremes - but it doesn't matter what they think because you are the one living with it every day. (For a little reinforcement, take it to a car stereo shop and show them - they will probably give you some good options and alternatives than the just live with it attitude.)

Good luck, I hope it gets resolved to your satisfaction.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
jtsh said:
Mike, I will go out on a limb here and guess that unless the dealer replaces the unit, there will be no fix - because the unit is DEFECTIVE - that is NOT normal operation regardless of how the manufacturer wants to spin it. You have every right to demand the install of a new unit, receive a credit for this piece of garbage and have an aftermarket unit installed properly, or return the vehicle. Some people may say that's going to extremes - but it doesn't matter what they think because you are the one living with it every day. (For a little reinforcement, take it to a car stereo shop and show them - they will probably give you some good options and alternatives than the just live with it attitude.)

Good luck, I hope it gets resolved to your satisfaction.
I'll go out even further on the limb and guess that even if the dealer replaces the unit, it won't fix the problem, because it sounds from their TSB like something inherent to the hardware design rather than just a defective unit.

Maybe a poll of other DVD entertainment owners would be in order to see if they experience the same thing.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Think I failed to mention that I took my Acadia to a closer GMC dealer last week and they pointed me to the bulletin and said there was nothing I they could do.
Then, the next day, I took it to the dealer where I bought the car (~1hr away) and they replaced the radio/DVD unit and headliner DVD --- no luck, still had the problem. I know for a fact that they put in a new radio/DVD and headliner DVD because it still had that clear-lightly-sticky-protective tape stuff that I had to peel off. (which I enjoy doing :) )

So, my previous post was my 2nd attempt to have the dealer "look at it" (and 3rd trip overall) - glad I have a flexible job!! (or a job at all for that matter)

They took my Acadia this morning and cranked the vehicle 10 times (that's what they told me)...and on the 10th time...blank screen <sigh>
They called GM support (I guess that's who they call when the service dept folks at the dealer get stumped) and they pointed them to the bulletin from my 1st post. <arggghhhh!!>

The service manager said that GM support stated there might be a firmware/software fix later, but didn't commit to a time-frame or even if there would be one.
Since he saw the problem with his own eyes (and keeps having to hear from me), he said that he would likely replace my (no nav) radio/DVD with a nav/dvd since there was literally no-fix for my problem. I told him that I didn't care what he did (upgrade me or not) I just needed an integrated-DVD that worked and that's what I paid for.

So, now I'm hoping that there aren't any bulletins for the nav/DVD <sigh> ...if that's what I end up getting...

I hope other Acadia buyers don't run into this (which honestly, it would seem to me that everyone would...)

Thanks for all the postings!
Mike

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts
Interesting fix, upgrade you to a NAV radio w/ DVD? I wish you the best of luck; I don't have any issues with my 07; same setup as you

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
jsimms -

There goes my theory! ;)
(...that all no-nav radio/dvd units w/headliner DVD (aka RSE) manufactured for Acadia are broken...)

Wonder if it's VIN specific...the guy in the service dept did mention something about the radio/DVD unit had to match VIN...or something like that...

1 - 20 of 29 Posts