GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone studied the differences between the new 2008 Highlander and the Acadia? Seems like the Highlander is still a little bit shorter in length but I have not seen a side by side comparo yet anywhere...

·
Registered
185 Posts
Seems to be a bit smaller with less legroom and less behind the back seat. That middle seat in the second row, while ingenuis, looks really uncomfortable.

·
Registered
405 Posts
we test drove one about a year ago during the gas rise to trade out 99 gmc suburban that got 10 m.p.g. We tested a hybrid version which cost about the same as an slt 2 acadia. noware near as much room for cargo or pasangers was not as cool looking as the acadia and even with the hybrid we only got 16 mpg while test driving. It was not comfertable and enless you were under 2 there is no way your sitting in the third row. So last year we bought the yukon xl and now we have an acadia so we are very happy we DID NOT buy the acadia. I didn't want the hybrid any way i hate toyota more than ford.

·
Premium Member
1,762 Posts
This came up briefly on enclaveforum.net - here's a repost of my reply:

From reading previews and specs, the 08 Highlander still doesn't appear to be even close to the Lambdas in dimensions. It's 13 inches shorter, the novel capts-to-bench seat looks unusable by a human, which means it'll stay hidden 99% of the time, I'd imagine. And from the pics, the rear seats look absolutely tiny. I'll try to find full specs for a better comparison. While it is a slight improvement in looks over the previous gen, it's still pretty boring IMO, and doesn't even come CLOSE to the Acadia in looks...

It's also 3 inches less tall and 3.5 inches more narrow than the Acadia. Has less HP and torque.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I would buy the Highlander over the Acadia because of:
-Hybrid
-EV mode
-keyless ignition
-backup camera

I would buy the Acadia over the Highlander because of:
- Power liftgate
- HID headlamps
- HUD
- DIC
- OnStar
- Remote start
- comfy 3rd row
- dual sunroof

I guess it all depends on what our family wants when the time comes to buying a new car. It seems like the Acadia would be the choice now with all the incentives from GM and the features it currently offers, but my dad really wants a hybrid, and if the Highlander at least has a power liftgate of HIDs by the time its released, then I guess the only way to decide is to test drive them both when the time comes. :blob:

·
Registered
405 Posts
i find a hybrid is useless enless you life in an area where you stay below 30 mph most of the time becuase above that speed your using the engine anyway. i found the previos gen hybrid to be very impratical because it is almost 5000 more than the gas model, you have to do alot of driving to make that up and if you drive mostly highway you might as well just have the gas verson or better yet the acadia. also the battery needs to be replaced almost every 4-6 years right after your warranty expires and according to my dealer friend it is almost 4 thousand dollars that buys even more gas. so look at it this way

toyota

msrp to get a fully loaded hybrid

gas version of highlander

36,295 (i think)

5,000 difference to get a hybrid that is alot of driving

consumor reports reported a 2mpg difference between the two 22 gas 24 hybrid
for 5000 that is not that much of a difference

acadia fully loaded is the price of a hybrid (with out all the incentives) but you get more features better seating, better styling, imo better ride and handling, more room, can seat 8 (comfy) + cargo, more towing power, and a bigger engine with more torque + 6 speed auto. I also know that people complain about the cvt because they have NO low gear so towing is hard and the engine revs up at high speeds

SO i think that the hybrids are not what their cracked up to be.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks admin I had missed that over in the Enclave forum (I am a potential two Lambda family in the future with 08 Black Acadia for me pretty soon and Enclave for my wife down the road...). Your response matches my initial perception without seeing a straight up side by side comparo (which will be easy on Edmunds once the 08 Highlander comes out). It does simply look shorter and narrower and therefore just not as practical for those of us who want the room for kids/luggage capacity for trips....

Of course I was ignoring the subjective styling issues - I agree the Acadia looks far more attractive....

·
Registered
246 Posts
I briefly looked at the highlander, but its barely bigger than the Pontiac Torrent I have now.
As such, I couldn't see how the 3rd row could be at all usable. Thus, I scratched the Highlander
off the list.

·
Registered
99 Posts
In my opinion, that Highlander looks like a cheaper car. If it passed me on the road, I would assume it was a Hyundai or a Kia. The Acadia looks so much nicer!

·
Premium Member
1,762 Posts
rolling thunder makes a good point about hybrid cuvs. They aren't exactly in the same category as the prius, which, given its size and small 4 cylinder engine, would have very good MPG ratings even without the hybrid engine. The 2008 Highlander Hybrid is rated at 27 highway. According the EPA estimates, that's a grand total of ONE mpg more than an Acadia FWD!

·
Registered
115 Posts
I realize the 2008 Highlander has a bigger design, and at first I thought I would want to see it in person before making my final decision. After reading the specs and comparing the two I just love the Acadia way too much. It's the first vehicle I've had any interest in (besides the upcoming Camaro!) since I bought my Grand Prix in '96.

I looked at the '07 Highlander shortly after test driving the Acadia and couldn't get past the cramped feeling. The Acadia felt so much roomier! :thumb:

·
Registered
99 Posts
intrigueme said:
In my opinion, that Highlander looks like a cheaper car. If it passed me on the road, I would assume it was a Hyundai or a Kia. The Acadia looks so much nicer!
No offense to any Hyundai or Kia owners! ;D

·
Registered
48 Posts
admin said:
The 2008 Highlander Hybrid is rated at 27 highway. According the EPA estimates, that's a grand total of ONE mpg more than an Acadia FWD!
Everyone needs to remember that EPA estimates for 2008 models are using the new methodology. The Acadia estimate for 2008 will be less than the 2007 (24 mpg based on the Enclave numbers). We all should state the year information when comparing EPA estimates to make sure we do not mix the two.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts