GMC Acadia Forum banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Acadia SLT-2 AWD
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Thanks for everyone's help. I don't really want to fork out $300-$400+ for new original size tires but I also do not want to cause problems with my car that'll end up costing me more $$ then a set of tires

·
Registered
622 Posts
I would agree. Four different tires of the same size but with varying tread depths may also create some issues.
And... often different manufactures do not produce identical tire sizes to one another. Not worth the risk.
Never mind odd handling with differing tire treads (also generally not recommended).

·
Registered
8,449 Posts
usually, if all the tires are the same brand/size... say you get a bad gash and replace with new...
if the tread is significantly different--- the computer-- using its sensors-- will notice that one wheel is spinning at a different rate than the other 3. It will activate ABS thinking that one or more of the tires are losing traction.-- and try to regain traction.
Not sure, but it may even disable ABS/Stabilitrack if it continues to see this difference that it cant correct

In your case- it may or may not be related to to the tires--- that it happened right after the change points to it-- but it may also be coincidence.
Personally I would not mix. Thats just me.

·
Registered
2008 Acadia SLT-2 AWD
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Well I went today and changed the 255/65/18's i had on there when i bought the car and was able to find some good used 265/60/18's to match the ones i got last week for the front. Since doing that i haven't had any problems. Before it would go into limp mode after about 50 miles. I just picked up my kids in Knoxville and nothing has happened in the 180+ miles so far.

So hopefully those will be fine until I end up needing new ones and I'll get all 4 new of the standard size.

·
Registered
15 Posts
The issue is with all AWD specifically that if the tires do not spin at the exact same ratio the transfer case will kick in for the rear wheels to help take the load to get all tires spinning evenly again. Since two different sized tires were in place it will always cause this issue. For tire tread there would have to be a severe difference for it to cause the same issue, like two new tires and two nearly bald ones. Glad you were able to get some tires inexpensively.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts