GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Acadia SLT-2 AWD
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
I recently bought an 08 Acadia SLT-2 AWD. The two front tires were in horrible condition so the needed to be replaced. I didn't have the money to buy two brand new ones. And after searching for a possible different size that would be comparable to the stock 255/65/R18. I saw the tire rack article saying that the 265/60/R18 is the next comparable size. I found some used ones in very good condition in the size 265/60/R18 and put those on the front while leaving the rear ones (great condition) the stock 255/65/R18. And now after about 50 miles it throws a CEL with the codes I attached in the picture. After reading some on it. I found that if i cleared the codes it would be fine. Which i did and then after 50 more miles it did it again. Could it be the simple fact of having two different size tires on it? And if so how can I keep from having to reset it all the time WITHOUT buying more tires.

I was also getting the code P0752.

The first image is the CEL reading. And the Second is ones that the OBD scanner picked up from some time period that I don't know of, their not affecting anything that I know of.

·
Registered
627 Posts
That's a load of codes, and someone much more educated in this will answer better.
But I will say that a difference in tire diameter of more than 1/2" front to rear wouldn't surprise me at all to cause some issues. The size you picked is probably fine if all 4 tires were the same size, but AWD computer controlled cars do not like different size F/R. Am I wrong? Somebody correct me if so.
I would guess you have further tranny issues also however... see what others say.

·
Registered
2008 Acadia SLT-2 AWD
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I wasn't having any tranny problems before I changed those to front tires. So I guess you are right about it not liking the F/R being different. I wonder if I change the rear to the larger size or front back to smaller size if that would fix the problem.

·
Registered
627 Posts
A friend allowed their Highlander front tire treads to get quite low, no rotating tires for some reason. He got an error message and took it in. They said (BS?, who knows) that all 4 tires needed replacing, as the good tires, even though not to tread bars, would be too far off new tire diameters to allow proper operation.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Google tells me that P0700 is a non-specific transmission alert.
P0752 is possibly the shift solenoid... tranny related for sure. Could that be different tire sizes? Unsure.

·
Registered
2,341 Posts
Your multitude of codes didn't start until you changed the size of tires on one end of the vehicle. Wheel sensors are going crazy trying to sort out what is going on.

Swapping the tires from front to back is not the answer. You need to have all 4 tires the same size.

Hopefully you are not causing any long term damage.

·
Registered
2008 Acadia SLT-2 AWD
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So basically if I were to get two more of the 265/60/18 and put them on the rear then everything "should" go back to normal?

·
Registered
2008 Acadia SLT-2 AWD
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You could always try a pair, or a set of four from a used Auto Parts place. I got a set of four Michelins for my daughters truck for about half the cost of new, they had 85% -90% thread. www.car-part.com
That's what I got for the front 2 was used ones at a tire shop here. They actually have better tread then the rear ones. It's just that they are the different size. I just wonder if I should keep the original 255/65/18's or put the 265/60/18's that will match the recent ones I put on.

·
Registered
2008 Acadia SLT-2 AWD
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I believe you'll find that spelled out in every AWD vehicle owners manual, too. It also applies to 4X4s.
Gotcha. I honestly didn't look up that information since I don't have a manual. I would've never thought about it making that big of a deal. But thanks.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Even my old Z06.. it had different sizes/diameters front/rear, but the difference had to be between a certain span to maintain proper traction system operation. Now imagine an engine trying to push a transaxle and 4 wheels all at the same speed, but some tires are different diameter than others. That's gotta be a ton of strain on your drivetrain.

·
Registered
2008 Acadia SLT-2 AWD
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
I know that you all stated that I should take off the set of used 265/60/18's I recently put on and put the original size for them. But with those being an odd size to find at multiple used tire places near me. Would it really make that big of a difference/cause problems if I had all 4 tires 265/60/18

·
Super Moderator
19,657 Posts
Gotcha. I honestly didn't look up that information since I don't have a manual. I would've never thought about it making that big of a deal. But thanks.
It's way more critical now that AWD (and many 4WD) systems are controlled by computer programming. Before then, you wouldn't get any trouble codes or running problems. You'd just tear up your equipment and have to replace a bunch of hardware. ;)

·
Registered
627 Posts
I know that you all stated that I should take off the set of used 265/60/18's I recently put on and put the original size for them. But with those being an odd size to find at multiple used tire places near me. Would it really make that big of a difference/cause problems if I had all 4 tires 265/60/18
They should be fine if all around the same wear, but not ideal. I'd not run different model tires front and rear for example, as even this IMO may cause premature drivetrain issues. Just me maybe. Can you find 2 similarly worn, similar tread style tires used? I know it's a bit of cash, but I think you should opt for a new set of tires, or find a full matching set of 4 used.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts