GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the Bose 10 speaker system with 6 Disc CD/Mp3 changer with XM radio.

I changed my head unit and installed a Kenwood DNX7100 Nav system. Is there anyway to connect the factorry installed XM receiver to my Kenwood head unit. I have 1 year of XM that I paid for but can't use it (currently) due to my upgrade of the head unit. How can I keep the xm reciver

·
Registered
31 Posts
becuase the factory head unit is neccassry to operate your xm through the acadia you have only two options the first would be to temporarly mount the old HU somewhere else and to do that you would have to split the factory harness to two seperate sections in order to this you would buy another factory harness and tap the factory harness hooker up to your new HU, this is tacky and it works but having two HU is pretty annoying and the next more expensive route would be to get a XM aftermarket module (assuming the new HU supports XM radio and this can be purchased at any major audio store like best buy or circuit city, this is a relatively easy hook up to your aftermarket stereo and just hides behind the dash here is an example of one, hope this helps :
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=7300529&type=product&id=1118842280436

·
Registered
9 Posts
The OEM XM module communicates with the factory radio via the GM Low Speed Lan. There are no aftermarket radios that can communicate with the OEM module since the protocol is GM proprietary.

If you change the radio you will need to also add an XM module that works with the new radio, like the XM Direct modules, with the proper adaptor for your new radio.

·
Registered
31 Posts
ednunez said:
The OEM XM module communicates with the factory radio via the GM Low Speed Lan. There are no aftermarket radios that can communicate with the OEM module since the protocol is GM proprietary.

If you change the radio you will need to also add an XM module that works with the new radio, like the XM Direct modules, with the proper adaptor for your new radio.

isn't this what i just said in layman's term?

he has the option to continue to use his factory stereo by relocating it and allowing it to communicate with the OEM factory module or he could find the aftermarket module and be done with the factory, the signal used from the factory harness can be split between the two HU's and the only way he would get interference is playing both at the same time. but relocating the factory is a FREE way to do it, this is cost effective if you are only trying to listen to it for the time you paid, if you decide to become a XM frequenter you may just wanna buy the module

1 - 4 of 4 Posts