Acadiaforum.net Bookmark and Share
July 30, 2014, 07:07:09 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.   (Registering removes in-text ads)
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Search all 4 Lambda Forums at once with the "Super Search" box! Click search in the top nav bar to find it.

Home   Help Search Gallery Login Register  
Registered users see fewer ads.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A/C - Reduced cold Air - very low flow  (Read 4321 times, 11 Replies)
robindcs

JD

Ignore
« on: August 14, 2011, 11:59:34 AM »

This problem has occured twice since May 2011. Air Conditioning starts off "Normal", excellent flow of cold air. 1 1/2 to two hours into trip the airflow is noticed to be severly reduced and cabin getting warm. Hand on upper vents cold but hardly any airflow. Shutdown for five minutes and HVAC returns to normal with good airflow. Opened hood after shutdown, no icing evident on AC lines. Otherwise a perfect ride with no snags in almost four years. Any ideas gratefully received, not anxious to go back to a dealer as everything else is fine! Help

2008,SLT2,AWD,7PGR,DiaWhite,Titanium,Nav,SR,HID,
HUD,Trailering prov,Convenience pkg, Cargo Pkg, and 19" Wheels.    Build date 17AUG07
2006 Subaru Tribeca B9 AWD Base model.
mikemu
Acadia GOD!

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2011, 01:25:53 PM »

This problem has occured twice since May 2011. Air Conditioning starts off "Normal", excellent flow of cold air. 1 1/2 to two hours into trip the airflow is noticed to be severly reduced and cabin getting warm. Hand on upper vents cold but hardly any airflow. Shutdown for five minutes and HVAC returns to normal with good airflow. Opened hood after shutdown, no icing evident on AC lines. Otherwise a perfect ride with no snags in almost four years. Any ideas gratefully received, not anxious to go back to a dealer as everything else is fine! Help
Does flow increase if you lower the temp setting?

08SLT1, FWD, Summit White, Ebony leather, sunroofs, DVD, power liftgate, remote start, rear sensors
robindcs

JD

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2011, 01:44:07 PM »

No shrug

HUD,Trailering prov,Convenience pkg, Cargo Pkg, and 19" Wheels.    Build date 17AUG07
gig229

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2011, 02:20:03 PM »

Do you have a hissing noise when you turn on the AC and while it runs?  If you do, that could indicate the refrigerant is leaking out.  As the refrigerant level gets really low, the evaporator coil will freeze up reducing the flow of air.
Shadofire

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2011, 02:25:06 PM »

AC evaporator boxes have a drain that allows condensed moisture to drain out the firewall/bottom of the car, it may be plugged. Check to see if water is dripping on the ground center and rear of the right front tire wheel well. The other problem could be a defective pressure cycling switch that is allowing the ac compressor to stay running too long. This will make the system operate at too low of a temperature which would cause the evaporator to ice over blocking air flow and causing the problems you are having.

2011 GMC Acadia Denali Red Jewel Cashmere interior, DVD headrests (wife and kid mover)
2009 GMC Sierra 1500 C/C All Terrain lots of mods daily driver
1987 Buick Grand National upgraded everything go fast related
1990 Chevy C1500 350 SS sport lowered, engine and transmission mods
robindcs

JD

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2011, 03:28:54 PM »

No hissing noise is evident.
Condensation water draining from the forward (firewall) area........
Pressure cycling switch will be investigated.

FORUM GM
FORMER ACADIA COMMANDER; NOW IMPALA HERDER
Global Moderator
Acadia NIRVANA

I'M AN ACCOUNT TAKER AND A THREAD BREAKER

« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2011, 05:26:39 PM »

Manual or digital HVAC?  What temp are you running the system?

---
- Sent from my iPhone 3G S using Tapatalk

2014 Impala LS (non-eco)
"I don't care what you think about me; I don't think about you at all"
Shadofire

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2011, 07:41:04 PM »

Lambda platforms use a Thermal Expansion Valve to throttle refrigerant into the evaporator. It is possible that this unit is defective and is allowing the evaporator to be flooded with refrigerant allowing it to over cool.I was actually surprised to see the use of a TXV as opposed to a orifice tube, which is why earlier i mentioned the cycling switch. The temperature of the evaporator is dependent on system operating pressures and possibly the exit temperature of the evaporator as it passes through the TXV. TXV's typically have a bourdon tube that "reads" temperatures in the evaporator to throttle but in this system i cannot see such a tube. Either way, the icing will be independent of the set temperature on the dash as this just governs the air temp by varying the air that passes through the heater core or bypasses it.

2011 GMC Acadia Denali Red Jewel Cashmere interior, DVD headrests (wife and kid mover)
2009 GMC Sierra 1500 C/C All Terrain lots of mods daily driver
1987 Buick Grand National upgraded everything go fast related
1990 Chevy C1500 350 SS sport lowered, engine and transmission mods
robindcs

JD

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2011, 08:42:12 PM »

Thank you Shadofire, I will investigate the thermal expansion valve (TXV) as well as the pressure cycling switch. facepalm

frankcal

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2011, 08:34:24 AM »

Interesting...this happened to me a couple of weeks ago about 1.5 hours into a 2-hour drive coming home from vacation.  About an hour after we returned home, I took the Acadia out to diagnose the problem, and everything was fine. I would be very interested in anything you learn.

Thanks

2007 Liquid Silver SLT2 AWD
robindcs

JD

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2011, 10:06:08 AM »

AA/78U  Digital/AUTO      Set at 21DegC or 71DegF     Outside air  25DegC or 77DegF   Both sides set the same.

Swim Dad

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2011, 11:43:20 AM »

Everyone,

This issue has been discussed on this thread:

http://www.acadiaforum.net/forum/index.php?topic=7818.msg156943#msg156943

Maybe the title did not do a good job of explaining the details of the issue.  Letting the vehicle idle for 15 minutes will thaw the ice and the A/C will work fine.  I have had my 08 to the dealer 2 times for this exact problem.  I even took the dealer pictures of the larger A/C line covered in ice / frost.  The dealer called GM Tech which recommended replacing / recharging the A/C fluid (freon? was a little low) and they also replaced the A/C evaporator sensor.  In my case there was no water in the blower housing as Happy stated in the above thread.

I have not driven the Acadia for an extended time to see if the latest fix has solved the problem.  Have your dealer call GM tech so that they continue to get reports of this issue.

Swim Dad
2008 SLT-2 AWD Carbon w/ Ebony #4
Pages: [1]   Go Up   [ Home | Unread Posts | Unread Replies ]
  Print  

Jump to:  
Custom Auto Accessories