Acadiaforum.net Bookmark and Share
October 25, 2014, 04:34:53 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.   (Registering removes in-text ads)
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Search all 4 Lambda Forums at once with the "Super Search" box! Click search in the top nav bar to find it.

Home   Help Search Gallery Login Register  
Registered users see fewer ads.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: AC Line Leak  (Read 2148 times, 5 Replies)
ntpro

2007 Acadia SLT Dk Red Biege Interior

Ignore
« on: August 02, 2011, 10:58:47 AM »

Its been a blistering summer with no AC.
Heard a hissing sound behind the console (behind NAV\Radio) but didnt really think anything about it at first.
Then went to turn on AC and the snowflake blinked three times and turned off.
Later learned that this means you are out of coolant.
I took it to the dealer and they filled it back up and added the dye as they couldnt find anything.
Once it ran out again (1 week later) they looked again and found a small hole in the line. They said the insulation\wrap (dont exactly recall the verbiage) from the steering column was rubbing against it and wore a small hole.
Out of warrantly (2007 SLE w\80K miles). To replace the line (which runs from the front all the way to the back would be $1000 or I could have them cut out the piece w\the hole and have it sent to a place that specializes in patching the line and then they would splice it back in. This seems like a lot of work to me, but was quoted $600 for this option. If they can seal the two cuts for taking the segment out of the line, why cant they seal the hole? AND if it was caused by the rubbing why isn't that a covered repair? Two questions I forgot to ask.  Bang Head So I am going elsewhere for a second opinion. This is the second quote I have gotten from the dealer to fix something for $600. The other is the broken liftgate. I assume I should put that under a seperate topic ...

We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost.
ntpro

2007 Acadia SLT Dk Red Biege Interior

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2011, 09:14:14 AM »

Part two of the saga - I went to another mechanic (not the dealer this time) to get a second opinion. He said he could find no leak in the line, but instead points to the evaporator. I thought for a moment this was a preferable cause and solution but this fix was quoted to me at $2200 due to the labor and all the other pieces you have to replace along with the evaporator. Ugh ...

We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost.
Web Raven
Indeed, I am so far out of sane that you appear a tiny blip on the distant coast of sanity.
Global Moderator
Acadia Guru

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2011, 01:20:45 PM »

Sounds a lot like my 2007 with 101,800 miles on it.  My AC has been out since last summer when it did the hissing thing, and then the releasing a weird mist through the vents thing, and then it just quit working altogether.  We charged it, it worked immediately and by the next morning it wasn't working again.  So a serious leak it would seem.

I had the GM dealer look at it.  They told me there was a leak in the line, but would not say where.  They said the part itself (line) was $860 and the labor would bring it up to almost a $1,500 repair bill.  So I didn't have it repaired and have been suffering since.

But I'm glad I happened upon your post, because now I know we should check by where the line passes near the steering column and see if we can locate the leak there.  If my boyfriend can find the leak, he can patch it and I'll have AC again.  Smiley

Hope you have some luck getting yours fixed at a reasonable price.

2004 Hummer H2, Black, Wheat Leather, Loaded.
txduckhunter

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2011, 02:40:41 PM »

I have an 07 Acadia with 70k miles and have a leak as well. Our issue started with the air not coming out of the vents on long trips. After 3 dealerships they think they know the problem. There was a leak at the evaporator connections causing the freon to leak out and a freeze thus blocking the air flow. It took them 2 days to find the leak b/c the dye they put in the lines did not show anywhere so they had to get the "sniffer" out to find the leak. Supposedly that fixed it but on the way home the A/C light starts going on and off but the air is now still blowing - just hot then cold air. Luckily, I got my car certified used and it is under the 12 month bumper-to-bumper warranty so the GMC place will be getting it again tomorrow to figure it all out. Once they find the issue I'll post it. javascript:void(0);
Web Raven
Indeed, I am so far out of sane that you appear a tiny blip on the distant coast of sanity.
Global Moderator
Acadia Guru

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2011, 04:18:11 PM »

My boyfriend is starting to wonder if the dealer jacked something up with the line when they took my engine out to replace the timing chain.  They did such a shoddy job of putting the engine back in, it wouldn't surprise me.  Of course, proving that now would be next to impossible.

He looked at it this morning and couldn't even see where the line comes near the steering column area, but he did point out that the AC line runs along the entire bottom of the truck, near the edge, and is pretty much the lowest thing under there.  Sounds like it's not very well protected and if you were to hit something or have something fly up under the truck, it could be easily damaged.

We're going to put some of that leak detector through the system and see if we can find it.

2004 Hummer H2, Black, Wheat Leather, Loaded.
rbarrios
Acadia GOD!

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2011, 04:49:42 PM »

on my 2010 Traverse-- the leading edge of those hoses (aluminum it appears) are covered in a protective sleeve.
I think Ive seen some Lambdas- that do not have these sleeves.

2010 FWD LT1-Gold Mist Metallic- seats 8.
Build Date- July 31, 2009-2nd day of Spring Hill 2010 production.
2013 Equinox 3.6L -    27,000
2010 Traverse 3.6L-   84,000
2003 Trailblazer 4.2L-173,000
Pages: [1]   Go Up   [ Home | Unread Posts | Unread Replies ]
  Print  

Jump to:  
Custom Auto Accessories