Acadiaforum.net Bookmark and Share
September 15, 2014, 10:55:19 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.   (Registering removes in-text ads)
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Check out our new iPhone, Android & Blackberry App! More info

Home   Help Search Gallery Login Register  
Registered users see fewer ads.
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Front Windshield Wiper Motor burning out??  (Read 14583 times, 30 Replies)
jbcallahan

Ignore
« on: February 03, 2011, 12:22:08 PM »

Hello -- I have a 2008 AWD Acadia SLT, and I live in Massachusetts. I had the windshield wiper recall items installed on my Acadia a year ago (after fighting with the dealership who didn't want to do the recall so I made GMC in Detroit make them do the recall) because the wipers would become inoperable when the tiniest amount of snow was on my front window. I'm having another problem with the front windshield wiper now. We got a lot of snow these past few days. I've cleared the front windows of most of the snow, and the windshield wipers were initially working on the intermittent speeds (1, 2, 3, 4 or 5 settings), but then the wipers stopped working on those settings and at the same time I could hear a ticking of the windshield wipers trying to wipe, and started smelling a burnt smell. I shut off the wipers. When I started them up a short while later, only the highest wiper setting works. Anyone else having this problem? It seems to me the wiper motor isn't strong enough to handle the snow. I'm past my warranty (of course). Anyone have any idea how much this is going to cost me? I'm not sure if the dealership replaced the wiper motor or not, but I'm betting they did the bare minimum to get rid of me (since I forced them to do the recall). I'm not sure if I'm going to make the repair or just live with using the highest setting of the windshield wiper. (I've looked at the other postings but didn't see that anyone posted this sort of problem recently; hence the new post). Thanks for any advice.
FORUM GM
FORMER ACADIA COMMANDER; NOW IMPALA HERDER
Global Moderator
Acadia NIRVANA

I'M AN ACCOUNT TAKER AND A THREAD BREAKER

« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2011, 12:34:49 PM »

I would start with the motor, check roackauto.com for a replacement. On a side note, do you or did you have the heated washer system?

2014 Impala LS (non-eco)-Build date 12/13/2013  Mine 3/15/2014
"I don't care what you think about me; I don't think about you at all"
jbcallahan

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2011, 12:54:11 PM »

Thanks, AA/78U. No, I don't have the heated window system.
mikemu
Acadia GOD!

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2011, 02:28:57 PM »

I don't think the issue is the motor's ability to handle the snow load since none of us seem to have that problem. 

08SLT1, FWD, Summit White, Ebony leather, sunroofs, DVD, power liftgate, remote start, rear sensors
MedicRxDoc
Acadia Freak

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2011, 03:15:21 PM »

I don't think the recall was for the motor, but the linkage. 

I agree that it sounds like you need a new motor...your the first I heard of needing one on an Acadia.

2007 Liquid Silver Acadia
2003 Ford Excursion 7.3 L Diesel
mikemu
Acadia GOD!

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2011, 03:18:29 PM »

I don't think the recall was for the motor, but the linkage. 

I agree that it sounds like you need a new motor...your the first I heard of needing one on an Acadia.
You're exactly right - the weight of the snow was causing the wipers to stop moving even though the motor was still going.

08SLT1, FWD, Summit White, Ebony leather, sunroofs, DVD, power liftgate, remote start, rear sensors
jbcallahan

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2011, 03:54:41 PM »

Thank you for all your replies. It's surprising none of you have heard of this happening. I must have just gotten a defective motor. It's so disappointing that I'm going to need to replace the motor. Arghhh! I appreciate all your input.
mwagner

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2011, 09:01:49 PM »

I have a 2008 Acadia and just today while driving in the sleet on the highway my wipers stopped working.  Curious what the replacement motor cost the person who posted on 2/3.  I do not have the heated system.  My wipers stopped completely.
Insti08
Acadia Guru

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2011, 09:07:30 PM »

Are you out of warrantee

'08,SLT2,AWD,CBMet.,BRK Int.,inst.wood trim,HUD,19's,2-2-3,Adv.start rem.,2xSky,6cdchang.Bose,Trailer pack.,running boards+LEDs(blue),deflectors all around, all weather mats, Contor.Flaps,Garm.Nav.,P.A.L.,Glove bx light,LED Int. Lights CBACM #2,SLT-2 M#1
Speleos
I'm Bat Man, Master of the underground!
Acadia GOD!

The truth is not always found on the internet!

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2011, 07:47:40 AM »

I have a 2008 Acadia and just today while driving in the sleet on the highway my wipers stopped working.  Curious what the replacement motor cost the person who posted on 2/3.  I do not have the heated system.  My wipers stopped completely.

If you're DIY, go online, 'Google' GM Parts and shop around.  Prices vary on the different GM parts sites.  The highest I saw was about $120.00 MSRP (shipping not included).

2007 Acadia SLT-2, HiYo Silver/Titanium, no NAV, no HUD, no errors - SLT-2 Club #2 (I try harder), Silver Club #4
2009 Toyota Matrix S, Nautical Blue Metallic
2002 Winnebago Sightseer 30B, Ford Triton V-10
2002 EZ-Go Electric Golf Cart
2002 BigTex 17' Car Trailer
1995 Chevy C-2500
jbcallahan

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2011, 01:50:29 PM »

Hi -- Did you get the windshield items recalled a couple of years ago replaced on your Acadia before this happened? If not, then you might have gotten a vehicle with windshield wipers not hardy enough for winter weather and if your car is one of those listed in the recall, then your dealer is obligated to put the new items on and take off the recalled windshield items. Although my car was listed as one of the vehicles entitled to have the windshield items replaced, my dealer (in MA) refused to do the work and I eventually had to call GMC in Detroit and have someone there tell the dealer they had to do the work since it was subject to a recall. Good luck! Joyce
mikemu
Acadia GOD!

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2011, 02:09:51 PM »

I think there is also a circuit breaker that will trip if the wiper motor becomes strained from snow load.  Check your manual and see if that is the cause of the failure.

cashriver

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2011, 09:54:31 AM »

2008 GMC Acadia

My wipers quit working yesterday. You could definitely hear the motor running but no wiper action. I removed the plastic cowl piece and wiper arms to visually see the motor and it was for sure turning. After removing the motor/arm assembly I discovered the problem. The motor shaft is a tapered spline and the control arm that connects the motor to the linkages is also, very fine splines and the control arm is stripped letting the motor shaft to spin inside. So you might want to double check this before spending $$$ for a motor.

Getting ready to call the dealer. Don't know if this would be covered or not, I doubt it (44,000 miles).
FORUM GM
Global Moderator
Acadia NIRVANA

« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2011, 09:56:11 AM »

I would expect the control arm to be less costly than the motor; let us know  Undecided

cashriver

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2011, 09:12:19 AM »

Checked w/dealer and control arm comes with all the linkages to the wiper posts, $100 Embarrassed
So I reinstalled the arm to the motor shaft, which also has a nut to tighten splines, and welded the nut to the control arm, as good as new and no $$$$ to me  Smiley
FORUM GM
Global Moderator
Acadia NIRVANA

« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2011, 01:10:08 PM »

Checked w/dealer and control arm comes with all the linkages to the wiper posts, $100 Embarrassed
So I reinstalled the arm to the motor shaft, which also has a nut to tighten splines, and welded the nut to the control arm, as good as new and no $$$$ to me  Smiley

Well that's one way to fix it, nice work around

Speleos
I'm Bat Man, Master of the underground!
Acadia GOD!

The truth is not always found on the internet!

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2011, 02:47:42 PM »

Not too sure about that 'welding' the nut on the shaft.  :Smiley  Why didn't you just use locktite blue, or some other thread-locking compound? Huh?

2007 Acadia SLT-2, HiYo Silver/Titanium, no NAV, no HUD, no errors - SLT-2 Club #2 (I try harder), Silver Club #4
2009 Toyota Matrix S, Nautical Blue Metallic
2002 Winnebago Sightseer 30B, Ford Triton V-10
2002 EZ-Go Electric Golf Cart
2002 BigTex 17' Car Trailer
1995 Chevy C-2500
cashriver

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2011, 10:31:12 AM »

I stated that I welded the nut to the control arm, not the shaft. I cranked the nut down on the motor shaft with the control arm between, which acted like a lock nut, then welded the nut to the arm to keep from loosening.
dcracing2

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2012, 04:19:18 PM »

I'am having the exact same problems as "jbcallahan"  as stated in his first post. The wipers will not work on any intermitten settings and will work on high and if I try to wash the window? Any ideas ? I really don't want to have to bring it to the dealer.

Thanks
jbcallahan

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2012, 01:22:29 PM »

Hi -- Sorry, I forget how the windshield wiper working at the highest level only was resolved. I think it resolved on its own because I didn't keep a record as to what the dealership did, which tells me I didn't have anything checked/fixed. Sorry I can't be of more help.
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up   [ Home | Unread Posts | Unread Replies ]
  Print  

Jump to:  
Custom Auto Accessories